YFZ Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a swingarm in the near future, and I can't decide what length. I'm thinking of going -1 because of the ZPS rear shock to re-gain some of the loss in traction, but what do you guys think? My choices are stock length, - 1/2 inch, or -1 inch.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
stock length is perfect. the yfz has perfect ergo's as it is, so why mess with it. unless tt is your thing, you dont want negative lengths.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see what you mean, but you're taking a little traction away by going with ZPS rear shock, so I figure -1 on the swingarm- gain more traction. Any other views on this?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think you might loose some stability over rough stuff, by maybe being to short.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Look at all the top ridding pro's there using stock leangh swingarms. I don't know of any one running a -1/2or -1 i would just stick with the stock leangh. Call wayne at pep and he will tell you stock leangh is perfect.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
id say stock, but it depends on what kind of riding you do...

if you cant decide on -1 or stock, just do -1/2(in between) :lol

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by Jester6@Jan 17 2004, 11:36 PM
I see what you mean, but you're taking a little traction away by going with ZPS rear shock, so I figure -1 on the swingarm- gain more traction. Any other views on this?
a shorter swingarm makes u lose traction so u would want a longer one if nething....... a shorter one will make u slide more which u want for TT....... most pros are running either stock or +1 to tell u the truth...... natalie or sumone even went to a +2 :eek ......... i would say stay stock or get a +1 :rock :red

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by Tainted Glory@Jan 20 2004, 09:11 PM
john natalie, dustin wimmer, and gill attix are all running standard length swingarms.
then it was cain....... cain is running a +2 swinger im pretty sure now that i think about it....... THATS PSYCHO! :eek :lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
You dont lose traction going with a shorter swingarm. WTF are you thinking?!? And the only reason to go with a longer swingarm is to keep the front end down. go with stock lenth..

·
Registered
287 Posts
There are a lot of factors that haven't been discussed here. If you're getting PEP shocks, call Wayne and talk to him about it. He will give you the right recomendation for your particular situation. What someone else likes best might or might not work well for you.

Factors to consider:
Rider Weight
Rider Height
Riding Style
Shock Setup
Tires Preferred

I personally, am 6'2", so I run a +1 RPM. It works great for me, but I can't recommend it to you unless you are physically the same size and ride the same way.

Talk to Wayne. He'll have better advice, anyway.

.brit

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ_53+Jan 20 2004, 01:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YFZ_53 @ Jan 20 2004, 01:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jester6@Jan 17 2004, 11:36 PM
a shorter swingarm makes u lose traction so u would want a longer one if nething....... a shorter one will make u slide more which u want for TT....... most pros are running either stock or +1 to tell u the truth...... natalie or sumone even went to a +2 :eek ......... i would say stay stock or get a +1 :rock :red [/b][/quote]
NOT TRUE...... shorter swingarm gets the rear under your weight whitch applies more downforce for better traction. As far as getting on for the 450, I tend to believe there is plenty of traction now. Get a better tire combo or you have to adjust for applying power in certain corners. Banshee guys have the tendency to shorting thier swingers for lack of traction because of the the way a 2 stroke comes on. The Thumper comes on more evenly and can be applied to the ground effortlessly. to make the swinger shorter will help in tight courses but will have want to pull the fronnt end up if not in the correct position making the quad tough to handle. With any adjustment to susp. adjustments will be needed to your riding style. You may find (dependent of track) that you would like a -1 but as I said mostlikely in the tighter (arenacross) tracks.
Buying a + swinger will keep the front end down but also make the turning radius larger. (not good for MX, super for duning or drags)

:yfz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it looks like the stock length is the best setup for me. 5'8, 160lbs, and mx riding. The stock traction is perfect to me, it doesn't wheelie, and doesn't spin anywhere. Not many people have recommended the -1 to me, only because of my height and weight. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.. I'm new to the YFZ world, but have decent knowledge on 400EX's :yfz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts