YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (ATV24/7 @ Feb 17 2009, 07:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747689
+1
that is a nice XC quad. is the gueast kit worth it for xc? what brand is that?[/b]
Probably completely unnecessary. But for $100 and a few hours work, its worth the peace of mind for me.

The gusset kit is made by Hermann Racing and I was very unhappy with the way it fit. Should have been a 1 hour job and it turned into a 3.5 hour job because very single piece had to be modified to fit correctly.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything is sandblasted and will be at powdercoat today. I tapped 16 holes in the subframe last night. I'm putting keenserts in all of them. Never have to worry about them stripping again!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Who did the welding on that frame? The welding on that frame lookes like chicken w00ter welds.Great pics but the welding on that could be done alot better! I know more than a thing or to about welding LOL

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (userma3648 @ Mar 10 2009, 04:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755983
Who did the welding on that frame? The welding on that frame lookes like chicken w00ter welds.Great pics but the welding on that could be done alot better! I know more than a thing or to about welding LOL[/b]
The pictures aren't even clear or close enough for you to see the welds close enough to make any real judgment about their quality. But they are clear enough to see that they don't look like "chicken w00ter." I could get some close up pics to change your mind, but the fact alone that you would say that after seeing those pics tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of welding. I'm sure you know "a thing or to" about welding, but I assure you I know a lot more. There isn't a single defect in any of those welds. The only ones that didn't turn out great are the thin plates at the top of the frame. I didn't take the time to trim them to make a good joint, I just burned them in.

EDIT: I'm not saying they couldn't look better than they do, I'm just saying there isn't anything wrong with them. The fitup of the gusset kit I got was absolutely terrible. After 2 hours of reworking everything to improve the fitup and make them fit, I just wanted to be done. I don't have time to be screwing around making everything look perfect right now.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
looking good! i dont think those welds are bad!! if you can weld so much better post some pictures of your welds!

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Gusset lokk good knaffie, good uck getting it back together.

One thing I will say from expirience is, you might want to check if your nerf bars are gonna fit through the opening of the gussets you added just under the oil tank by the back side of the lower a-arms. I had my frame gusseted on my last build and I had to do some modding on them to get them to fit. Luckily the were plates instead of tubes.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Mar 12 2009, 05:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=756805
One thing I will say from expirience is, you might want to check if your nerf bars are gonna fit through the opening of the gussets you added just under the oil tank by the back side of the lower a-arms. I had my frame gusseted on my last build and I had to do some modding on them to get them to fit. Luckily the were plates instead of tubes.[/b]

YIKES! Too late now, frame is at powdercoat. I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best! Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
QUOTE (knaffie @ Mar 12 2009, 06:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=756814
YIKES! Too late now, frame is at powdercoat. I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best! Thanks for the heads up.[/b]
I'm sorry I didn't notice your thread sooner.

It's hard to tell from the pics of the frame and the size of the new nerfs, but it looks like you might get by...but I hope it works out for you man...good luck.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GAME ON! Powdercoat quality is top notch. The clearcoat on top of the color gives it a really nice gloss and helps a ton to protect it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts