YFZ Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently gifted an 06 yfz that's had an unknown electrical/ ignition issue for a while. It's been sitting in a garage for about 3 years.

Battery still had a small amount of charge, but after cranking a bit, died.

I hooked it up to my truck (not running), and it turns over good.

I know I'll probably need a battery, but want to get it running first. Still doesn't start.

Some observations:

1: starter relay is a little busted up. Looks like it had a spot for a second fuse, but the plastic is busted up. So, only one fuse (right side of quad, 20a). Relay does turn over quad.

2: here's the really crappy part. Someone did a hack job on the wiring under the front plastics. I'm thinking it was wrecked and they had to replace the handlebar controls. It's rough. I'm gonna have to redo all of the connections. Y'all like the wire nut?

3: there's a connector under the gas tank, right above the cylinder head, that isn't plugged into anything. Haven't traced it out yet, but the break light doesn't work. Could be that.

4: wiring diagram I'm using. Looks like there's a few switches that if not connected, could disable the ignition. Does anybody have a drawing that shows locations of switches?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Look up a race cut harness or a harness builder.
They can make a harness to what you want. A drag harness will just run the bike. Most can add more if needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Making progress. But I've found a wire that doesn't have a mate. No idea where it goes. White with black stripe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts