YFZ Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i've been lurking around this forum for awhile and finally needed to create my own post. I have an 06 YFZ450 that I recently bought. First day of riding it started up and ran great. Rode for about 10 minutes nothing to hard. When accelerating and shifting from 1st to 2nd it made a clunk sound and died. Would not turn over after that just clicks by the solenoid.

I swapped the solenoid with a spare I had (not sure if it worked either) same issue. Changed the black box relay with an extra (from an 05) still same problem. Starter appears to be getting power (havent jumped it directly yet though.

Enginel will not turn over by hand. When trying to turn the crank with the 17mm socket counter clockwise the nut just unscrews pretty easily. Clockwise I cant get it to move at all even with a good amount of force (with the spark plug out).

I can sometimes get the neutral light to come on (not always tho). However with it not on I can get the wheels to free spin backwards. Then when spinning forwards sometimes it will hit a spot and the wheel will lock up (still spin free backwards). This also does not change with the clutch in.

Long post but I think I covered everything. Any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I tore the head and tub off and found that the connecting rod snapped. Also took a little chunk out of my tub. Haven't cracked the case to see if the rod did any damage in there. But I think it's time to take it in and have someone rebuild it. I'll probably have the oil upgrade done. Any thoughts for the rebuild for reliability? Or someone know a good place to have it done in Oregon?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,099 Posts
Jeff @ Oregon Coast Powersports in Winchester Bay, he does awesome work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts