YFZ Central banner

04 Yfz Swing Arm Cracked

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  yfzpurgatory 
#1 ·
went out to a local track to practice and skill up on the woops and stuff

mainly riding the woops all day and after washing down the ride today this is what i discovered :shocker: :icon_neutral:
:icon_frown:

so i can say with confidence that the woops caused this since the track was flooded out in most section and really all i was riding was that and a high speed step up double double over and over...

******* QUESTION: is welding it up a good fix? has anyone had thier swinger fixed this way? how long did it last? **********

I know i can just buy " :blahblah: " swinger and never look back but thats more $ then i really feel like dumping off... and looking for a quick fix if possible

TIA

See less See more
#4 ·
haha thats hella funny.

now me and jimmy ahve more reaosns to give u crap haha i got no room to talk i think i got like last everymoto and a second? lol

u cant crash even if u case it as long as ur ont he gas to keep goin ur alright ahha

#6 ·
Welding will not work. Welded 2 times with different (very good) companies and It broke of after one ride.

Bought another stock one - the same, ended with laegers (hope it will hold on ;)

#7 ·
QUOTE (GRS 22 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750220
zum maybe if u went through like nsya or norcal rider u wouldnt have this prob[/b]
Ow!

QUOTE (zum @ Feb 23 2009, 09:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750232
^ HAHA! no coment

but thats why i was out there and all i could hear in my head was you and jimmy saying "just pin it"..." pull up and just pin it" :shocker:

well by the end of the day i was just pulling up and pining it

and now im like :disgust:[/b]
Yeah, Jimmy told me I need to to duct tape my throttle open....

#8 ·
QUOTE (fobi @ Feb 24 2009, 03:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750281
Welding will not work. Welded 2 times with different (very good) companies and It broke of after one ride.

Bought another stock one - the same, ended with laegers (hope it will hold on ;)[/b]
do you have pics of yours before and after by chance? if so post them

also how was it welded/fixed? did they stop drill the area and tig weld it? regular weld it??? steel guy aluminum guy?

very curious thanks for responding

#14 ·
I've broken 4 stock ones in 5 weeks before, now i have a lonestar on one race quad and a laeger's on the other and i can tell you that laeger's has a far better design and there brake plate moves the caliper further back and down on the rotor to minimize exhaust damage from the caliper.

#15 ·
QUOTE (Unlukky @ Feb 24 2009, 01:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750431
i have a lonestar on one race quad and a laeger's on the other and i can tell you that laeger's has a far better design and there brake plate moves the caliper further back and down on the rotor to minimize exhaust damage from the caliper.[/b]
It must be a newer Laeger. A guy that used to race with us had one, and it broke during a race. It broke the linkage mount clean off the swing arm. When he got it back to the truck, I went and looked at it and I wasn't impressed with the design of his Laeger swing arm AT ALL. I remember thinking how much more I liked the design of my LSR I had at the time. Of course that was a long time ago, so Laeger could have changed their design.

But yeah, it was more common on the '04. The '04 OEM swing arms were JUNK!! I lost count of how many I have seen break. They were a little better on the '05 but I've still seen a few of them break. Then they were a little better (even had a better chain adjustment) on the '06. I've seen a couple of '06s break, but not many at all. From what I've seen, MOST racers that has an '06+ YFZ were keeping the stock swing arm. I mean, ANY swing arm can be broken in the right conditions, but some are more prone to it than others. If you were building a skyscraper and took some left over I-beam to make a swing arm, I've got a friend that could break it. :mhihi: He's spent enough money on swing arms, carriers, and axles that he could build another quad.

#17 ·
yea it sure dont look like its gunna break lol

i didnt know yours was an 04?! it looks brand new! haha just lipstick on a pig... :mhihi:

haha just kiddin man

#18 ·
lip stick haha!

well i do have a full 08 rear end coming so soon you wont be able to tell what freaking year it is haha!

u'll have to decode the vin. but i could still tell... seat, bar clamp size, rear shock link, motor covers color, motors bolt color, rear brake resie ... awh so many little things :disgust:

#19 ·
ohh

i couldnt even tell in your sig pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.