YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 model 450. I started it fine, just hit the electric start, no throttle, and it started and idled fine. Ran 30 seconds up the hill to my uncles place to ride. Cut it off, went in the house, tried to start it up again and it just clicks one time, not rapidly like a raffling noise. Just hit the start button and one click, no more, until you hit the button again. Sometimes the starter cranks very slowly and then the solenoid just clicks again. Almost like a loss of voltage to the starter. Also, sometimes when I would go to start my quad, I’d turn the key and the neutral light would not come on at as well as nothing else. I would just keep turning the key ignition until it did. Same deal with the electric start. When I would switch it to run it would do the same thing. Wouldn’t do anything. So, I would just do the same thing I done with the key ignition to the kick switch, which is just keep switching from off to to run until I heard the relay click under the seat and then it would crank perfect. If anybody could suggest what to look at first it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I switched out the solenoid, relay, volt reg, CDI, used a new battery, and it’s still clicking just once. I would switch out the electric start component but the 04 model connectors to the harness are different from all other year models so I’m out of luck there,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have. Nothing happens no spark or click. I replaced it with the solenoid from my 06 and it does the exact same thing. I was told that the neutral switch could be bad from a friend but I’m not sure if a bad switch would cause these problems?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so I replaced the switch and nothing changed. Still clicking. I had ruled everything down to either the starter or ground cable running to it until today. I replaced the starter wiring to the solenoid and now absolutely nothing happens. No neutral light, no nothing. I’m out of ideas again. Im thinking this could this be because of a bad starter maybe? Possibly the stator is bad? Please help. The neutral light was coming on last night and solenoid was clicking trying to do it’s job and now I’ve got nothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I replaced the starter and she fires up now but I have a new problem. The thing WILL NOT idle. It idles perfect when I press my throttle the slightest bit. Not at the point of using pressure to give gas but the little bit of free play in my throttle is where it will idle perfect. As soon as I let off of that little bit of free play it will die like I’m hitting the kill switch. Does anybody know what this might be. I replaced the 42 pilot with a 48 pilot because I know that 42 is way to lean. Can anybody help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Inside the throttle casing on the bars is a kill switch try loosening up the Throttle cable so the metal bar on the inside isn’t resting upon the lil red kill switch in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts