YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched and I'm stumped. It sat for 6 months and now it wont turn over. Here is what it does.

Key on, neutral light on, red light comes on while pushing the start button. No clicking.
Battery charged, no change.
Solenoid and battery connections cleaned, no change
fuse is good at solenoid
Power is not going across the solenoid to the starter
No change with clutch lever pulled in
Removed plastic and disco/cleaned every plug
Took apart and cleaned the start/off-on/headlight switch.
Checked single wire ground by battery and it's good
Jump screwdriver across solenoid posts and it cranks over fine and starts.

I tried a solenoid off my kodiak, which I know works, and no change. I checked for power at the solenoid plug and all three wires have 12v with the key on. Two drop to zero when holding the start button.

I'm wondering if it's that little relay by the batter. The most excitement I can get is that little f'er clicking when I flick the kill switch between on/off.

help a brother out. I'm gonna start looking through wiring diagrams.

thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, so after an hour with the laptop, wiring diagram and a multimeter, I checked every circuit related to the on/off switch, starter button, starte relay, thermal switches and the starter cutoff relay, I figured this turd out. It's the small black relay back by the battery, which is the starter cut off relay. I finally figured out how to jump it, and it cranked right over.

perfefct, now I get to go re-wrap a bunch of wire harness and put all the plastic back on.

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
I bet the nuetral safety wire on the sensor beside the shift lever is loose or dirty. If mine is covered in oil or loose it will do that exact thing. Confused the hell out of me one day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
funny you say that. The neutral light was working at first. At some point in taking things apart and troubleshooting, the neutral light stopped working. I troubleshot that for a while and figured out that the sensor by the shifter must not be working. I ground that wire out manually to turn the neutral light while trying to get it to crank over. I just unground it, cleaned it up and hooked it back up, but it still doesnt work, so I must need a new sensor. I've noticed it not working while in neutral on previous rides.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok, so after an hour with the laptop, wiring diagram and a multimeter, I checked every circuit related to the on/off switch, starter button, starte relay, thermal switches and the starter cutoff relay, I figured this turd out. It's the small black relay back by the battery, which is the starter cut off relay. I finally figured out how to jump it, and it cranked right over.

perfefct, now I get to go re-wrap a bunch of wire harness and put all the plastic back on.
So what was the proper procedure to jump it. How did you get it to crank over

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having the same issue, 2004 YFZ, i get power but no crank when i press the button. If i jump the solenoid itll crank without issue. Brand new starter put in before storing it, replaced the starter solenoid with a know good one and still nothing. Really stumped at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts