YFZ Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought an 09 clutch conversion kit for my 2016, and from inspecting the clutch basket I think it has stress fractures everywhere?! Also some very small grooving on it. It does have some sort of coating on the inside of the basket, which could be what I’m mistaking for stress fractures, but I need someone who knows their shit to give me some insight!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Any aluminum caster guys in here that do this 4 a living?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yeah, just casting marks. The grooves don't look too bad yet but it might not last a lot longer.

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
Any update Baxter? How's it holding up? Also, where did you order the basket from and how did the install go?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any update Baxter? How's it holding up? Also, where did you order the basket from and how did the install go?
Holding up fantastic!
Just to clear the air for anyone wondering like I was, YOU CAN REPLACE JUST THE BASKET!!! The ‘09 basket can go right in the newer R’s as long as it has all the gears on it from either the original basket or you bought a new basket that came with a new main gear (compete set basket). Don’t need the ‘09 pressure plate or anything like that!!
I do recommend to buy a new crush washer that bends over the 30mm nut since you tear it up a bit bending it back.
Easy install as long as you work clean and organized. Notice how things go before you take it out. Hardest thing was getting the basket to set ALL the way back into the back. I used the revzilla clutch replacement video which helped a lot. Also, when getting the 30mm nut off the boss, you don’t need a clutch holder tool. I just used a Milwaukee impact driver and it took it right off before the basket could even spin.
As to where I bought it, I just bought a kit off of eBay that came with a lot of useless shit, but, new fibers and steels and the whole basket assembly.
While the ‘09 basket is working great, I actually do have a spare GYTR basket that was made for the ‘09, but is bare with no main gear. I saved my old basket and gear so I’m working on drilling out the rivets in the old basket to transfer all the stuff over to the GYTR basket.

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
Glad to hear it!!
Also glad you cleared it up for all the doubters out there too. I love this forum but from time to time opinions get in the way of facts and some post can get convoluted and confusing because it’s hard to know what to believe. It helps when guys do the work and then follow up with cold hard facts as you’ve done here. Much appreciated and I’m sure anybody looking to do the same swap will appreciate it as well. Hopefully they don’t read the other 100 post giving contradictory information first like I did. 😂😂

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
When you just replace the basket does the slipper still work like it was designed to?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts