Winter build - Page 11 - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 501Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha92 View Post
I had my bearings in the freezer a couple days and heated the race. Still took some good shots with a small hammer to.get them in. Was it the same for you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
A few easier then others. But I heated the cases up a lot with a Mapp torch, ran over to the freezer and slammed the bearings in. Gave the bearings no time to heat and the cases no time to cool.
You only have about 10 seconds to get the bearing in as far as possible. Then your fighting it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.
Sheerider11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #202 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 246
Garage

Hard to see in the pic but one side of the bearing recesses into the case and the other doesn't. The retainers seemed to fit flat. A little paranoid it's not seated all the way

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

06 SE
gytr slip on, kn filter, oil mod, dwt beadlocks with kenda kutters, pro taper bars, cycra guards, cfm oversized oil tank, tusk axle, tusk nerfs, asv levers....
yamaha92 is offline  
post #203 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha92 View Post

Hard to see in the pic but one side of the bearing recesses into the case and the other doesn't. The retainers seemed to fit flat. A little paranoid it's not seated all the way

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Flip it over you should be able to tell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is offline  
 
post #204 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 246
Garage
Everything was seated. Can't seem to get the transmission installed. Fought with it for a couple hrs and got no where.
yamaha92 is offline  
post #205 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917

Maybe the R trans is much easier, it only took a few minutes to get installed?


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #206 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 246
Garage
3 shift forks?
yamaha92 is offline  
post #207 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha92 View Post
3 shift forks?
Yup. Slid them in then slid the shaft right in.
No dumbass pins holding them. Lined right up and rolled through the gears just rocking the racks back and forth.

Only issue was getting into 6th gear. Just going to be slow I guess .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #208 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 246
Garage
The pins were my problem. Had to basically assemble it on the bench as a unit and install it. Royal p.i.t.a... nothing like a banshee brotha. Probably what I'll be building next if I can find an 06 anniv. To match

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

06 SE
gytr slip on, kn filter, oil mod, dwt beadlocks with kenda kutters, pro taper bars, cycra guards, cfm oversized oil tank, tusk axle, tusk nerfs, asv levers....
yamaha92 is offline  
post #209 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Oh yeah ASSEMBLY LUBE. USE IT. ALL. ON EVERYTHING.


I loaded my oil pump with it. Literally filled it with it, just so it is basically primed and ready to go when I first fire the bike.
But I'll still bump the starter with the tether off so it'll crank and pump oil through out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #210 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Ugh I need to cancel my ebay account



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kilroy and PWeeZy42 like this.
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #211 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
dirtsurfer614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
Posts: 327
Well, after reading 11 pages of thread, I'll be following this build now lol.

I had the same guy contact me about those white xc raths I offered him $350, but he demanded it be $400. I guess I could understand being they did look to be in excellent condition, but I just assume spend the extra $50 for a brand new set.

As far as your MXP experience, I'm glad to hear everything was cleared up.

My brother sent his complete honda motor to dasa for a full build and his experience wasn't all to different, customer service was there but was quite lacking. I would think most these big companies would do a bit better in that area, perhaps give the wife something to do? Lol kidding!

Someone mentioned it possibly being a one man operation... I don't know about MXP, but from what Iv seen on fb and instagran Michael Walsh has just a couple guys and a small shop. Pretty impressive operation.

Curious why you stuck with the 14T front sprocket? Seems to me a 13T would benefit your riding style.

I had 13-38 on my 09r. When on the track I ran my 18" rears and when in the woods/joy riding I ran 20" rears. Seem to balance out very well.

Good luck with the rest of your build!

09 YFZ450r
06 intake cam
Fuel Customs intake
Lonestar subframe
Pro Armor skid plate
Pro Armor front grab bar
Front ITP Baja
Back Beadlocks
dirtsurfer614 is offline  
post #212 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer614 View Post
Well, after reading 11 pages of thread, I'll be following this build now lol.

I had the same guy contact me about those white xc raths I offered him $350, but he demanded it be $400. I guess I could understand being they did look to be in excellent condition, but I just assume spend the extra $50 for a brand new set.

As far as your MXP experience, I'm glad to hear everything was cleared up.

My brother sent his complete honda motor to dasa for a full build and his experience wasn't all to different, customer service was there but was quite lacking. I would think most these big companies would do a bit better in that area, perhaps give the wife something to do? Lol kidding!

Someone mentioned it possibly being a one man operation... I don't know about MXP, but from what Iv seen on fb and instagran Michael Walsh has just a couple guys and a small shop. Pretty impressive operation.

Curious why you stuck with the 14T front sprocket? Seems to me a 13T would benefit your riding style.

I had 13-38 on my 09r. When on the track I ran my 18" rears and when in the woods/joy riding I ran 20" rears. Seem to balance out very well.

Good luck with the rest of your build!
13?!
I was contemplating a 15!
I still need to move on the wide open spots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #213 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
dirtsurfer614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheerider11 View Post
13?!
I was contemplating a 15!
I still need to move on the wide open spots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
8| 15? Maybe I misinterpreted your intentions for the bike lol.

I was mostly riding mx and woods, we have a place close to me called westpoint, nothing but trails, chert pits, and hills. I spent a lot of time there.

09 YFZ450r
06 intake cam
Fuel Customs intake
Lonestar subframe
Pro Armor skid plate
Pro Armor front grab bar
Front ITP Baja
Back Beadlocks
dirtsurfer614 is offline  
post #214 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer614 View Post
8| 15? Maybe I misinterpreted your intentions for the bike lol.

I was mostly riding mx and woods, we have a place close to me called westpoint, nothing but trails, chert pits, and hills. I spent a lot of time there.

https://youtu.be/CJoijXtJ1YM

It's all open sand pits where we ride.
But right in PA there's a lot of XC Racing.
That's why I kept stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #215 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
My omi clamp showed up.
I forgot I ordered this.
I was supposed to get one when I ordered my stem but other things came up and I forgot.
But this thing.
It is an absolute must. It gets rid of that little bit of slop in the stem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #216 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917

Cant not run one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #217 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Police Patrol
 
kilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,953
Garage
Is the omi clamp aluminum? Does it have bearings in it? I'm considering buying one.
Sheerider11 likes this.
kilroy is offline  
post #218 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
Is the omi clamp aluminum? Does it have bearings in it? I'm considering buying one.
No its poly.
No bearings, rubber o ring like oem. But twice as wide. And the o rings are thicker. Not square cut like oem so it takes longer to flatten out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #219 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is offline  
post #220 of 977 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
Is the omi clamp aluminum? Does it have bearings in it? I'm considering buying one.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.
Sheerider11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome