Trail Riding - Sprocket Change?? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Trail Riding - Sprocket Change??

So I am looking for tips or advice. I have been trail riding the last year on a Raptor 350 and love how easy it handles the trails, even the slow tricky maneuvers. But then...dun dun dun... I bought a 2012 YFZ 450 and it only has one speed, fast. Right now it is still sitting stock besides a after market exhaust and tires. I am trying to get it to be set for slower speeds while in lower gears while I am maneuvering through technical terrain. Even in first gear if Im not going super fast it is cutting out. I heard that a sprocket adjustment in the front and/or rear may help. Are there any recommendations? I don't want to loose all my pick up because I do ride track some, but its killing me right now out in the trails. Im open for suggestions, Im willing to put some money into the quad.

Please no rude comments, Unless you are one of those weird overweight losers who's sole purpose in life is to virtually attack people because you were beat as a child. In that case, carry on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 12:48 AM

Try going up two teeth in the rear.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:29 AM

I run a 13 38

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 PM

I think for me 14 37 will be perfect. When riding trails in tight turns and rough stuff i feel like im revving 1st too much and when getting to wide open terrain im shifting way too quick.

So when time comes 14 37 for me it is.

How is the top speed limited on the 2014+ yfzs? Tranny gear speed?

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, Maxxis Razr Plus tires
PIN IT PIN IT STRAIGHT OFF THE SHOWROOM.

Wish list:
VORTEX ECU W/PEAK RACING MOUNT
YOSHI PIPE
PEAK RACING SWING ARM SKID
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:24 AM

I have an older quad but went down a tooth in the front and up 2 in the back. It makes a huge difference in the hills and sand. I can still hit 75 on the black top.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:11 PM

You could also do the zip tie mod if it is a carbed 2012 YFZ., or I used safety wire. It really helps the throttle response when you stab the throttle going through or coming out of tight places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page