XC suspension link Houser or GT Thunder - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

XC suspension link Houser or GT Thunder

I just bought an 04. I want to set up for XC. I have had experience with GT Thunder rear suspension link on TRX450R. Wondering if Houser or GT Thunder rear link better on YFZ450. Welcome feed back from those who have either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 AM

xc links works great,will lower your ride height a bit and smooth out the suspension>never used a houser but if intended for xc they should be close to the same thing.WES Stone usually sells the gt thunder used links on ebay for $50 and has them time to time.

2005 YFZ 450 XC
TCR adjustable exhaust,QC Porting,Falicon balanced crank,Oil mod,HC piston,Qs3,Dynatek cdi,K&N proflow/outerwear,Precision Pro stabilizer,+2 ars/fx stem,Rekluse clutch,Precision shock&vibe,custom Axis,Beadlocks/razr2's,XC dominator axle,14/38 gearing and (Fall/winter jetting)170,45pj,ncvq 3rd,2-1/2 turns.Blingstar & GT skids and Ars/fx xc arms
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Gt thunder linkage sucks, it bucks constantly! Houser linkage is the best on the market for the yfzs!

2014 Sponsor:
Hygear suspension
Moto-xperts
Houser Racing
Scott USA
Fly Racing

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Gt thunder sucks??Thats pretty harsh since they sponsered quite a few xc riders with Yamaha bikes that finished very well in gncc.My guess is you were setup with the wrong link,linkage or shock for what your doing.Put the houser link and gt thunder link together there almost identical.My travel is silky super smooth with a properly setup rear suspension(Custom dual rate axis,gt thunder linkage,stock swingarm and fresh bearings).In fact ars/fx xc link was the most significantly different design if you put the elka,houser,gt and ars/fx next to each other,and I did and run all 4 with various setups.

2005 YFZ 450 XC
TCR adjustable exhaust,QC Porting,Falicon balanced crank,Oil mod,HC piston,Qs3,Dynatek cdi,K&N proflow/outerwear,Precision Pro stabilizer,+2 ars/fx stem,Rekluse clutch,Precision shock&vibe,custom Axis,Beadlocks/razr2's,XC dominator axle,14/38 gearing and (Fall/winter jetting)170,45pj,ncvq 3rd,2-1/2 turns.Blingstar & GT skids and Ars/fx xc arms
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 PM

Zach23dean,I see Houser is one of your listed sponsers.Well anyway the OP got at least one unbiased opinion.
YfzMadness and semaJ like this.

2005 YFZ 450 XC
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 PM

houser all the way. GT is a cheap alternative plus there no longer in business so you have to hunt down what company took that part over

HAVE PARTS FOR SALE

2010 yfz450x
engine: gytr head+1 valves, web cams, 13.5 piston
suspension: ohlins ttx, houser LT A arms, houser link
other stuff: MXP vortex ecu, houser nerfs, tech3 hipers, , ims tank, cut harness, fmf pro pipe, lonestar axle
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Police Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlpssyoak View Post
houser all the way. GT is a cheap alternative plus there no longer in business so you have to hunt down what company took that part over
Might be BNR ? Not 100% sure though. I think they took over some of their parts but again not 100% sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Yfz450R-
Venom Hvp*Vortex Ecu*08 Intake Cam*Fci*Yosh Rs2*Houser +1 Stem*Ccp*Front LT Pb1s*LT Jb Arms*Rear Pep Zps*Dwt

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Police Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by YfzMadness View Post
Might be BNR ? Not 100% sure though. I think they took over some of their parts but again not 100% sure.
I just sent BNR a pm about the gtt xc link. Will let u know what he says.

-Yfz450R-
Venom Hvp*Vortex Ecu*08 Intake Cam*Fci*Yosh Rs2*Houser +1 Stem*Ccp*Front LT Pb1s*LT Jb Arms*Rear Pep Zps*Dwt

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 AM

Cheap alternative?We're talking about a link made from a chunk of billet,Bearings,pins,seals are same as stock,and if you mangle a link it would not be covered under any warranty.I guess Gt thunder could have anodized it and charged more.

2005 YFZ 450 XC
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 AM

BNR is selling the GT products that are still available

2005 YFZ 450 XC
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM

well it seems to me your set on GT so there isn't any reason to go on. who makes a link that's un greasable? gt does while houser has grease fittings and ive had my link for almost 4 years. ive seen gt links last 2 years. bnr bought part of gt to make money that's just business. but no one knew the product better than laz. I don't think his kids knew, other wise they would still be going.

HAVE PARTS FOR SALE

2010 yfz450x
engine: gytr head+1 valves, web cams, 13.5 piston
suspension: ohlins ttx, houser LT A arms, houser link
other stuff: MXP vortex ecu, houser nerfs, tech3 hipers, , ims tank, cut harness, fmf pro pipe, lonestar axle
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 09:32 AM

I'm No way set on Gt thunder,The link is all I run GT with OEM bearings though.I have plenty of Junk skid plates,poly guards and other Gt crap I learned my lesson the hard way by trying myself and destroying.The GT links are good in my opinion and can be found used cheap.
Who makes a greasable link besides houser?No other MFG I know of,But with the cost of Housers parts and they should put grease fittings on everything,and maybe a few more stickers.

Ever wonder why Yamaha never put grease fittings down on the link and linkage?Must have been weight savings

2005 YFZ 450 XC

Last edited by str8shooter; 08-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
Gt thunder sucks??Thats pretty harsh since they sponsered quite a few xc riders with Yamaha bikes that finished very well in gncc.My guess is you were setup with the wrong link,linkage or shock for what your doing.Put the houser link and gt thunder link together there almost identical.My travel is silky super smooth with a properly setup rear suspension(Custom dual rate axis,gt thunder linkage,stock swingarm and fresh bearings).In fact ars/fx xc link was the most significantly different design if you put the elka,houser,gt and ars/fx next to each other,and I did and run all 4 with various setups.
Its not just because houser is one of my sponsors, but i ran the gt thunder rebuilt rear shock and their linkage set for xc, and it bucked constantly. I played with all the adjustments and still did it. Switched to the hygear rear shock and stock linkage and it doesnt buck at all.

2014 Sponsor:
Hygear suspension
Moto-xperts
Houser Racing
Scott USA
Fly Racing
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach23dean View Post
Its not just because houser is one of my sponsors, but i ran the gt thunder rebuilt rear shock and their linkage set for xc, and it bucked constantly. I played with all the adjustments and still did it. Switched to the hygear rear shock and stock linkage and it doesnt buck at all.
I agree. I tried two diff gt setups and the rear always bucked on kickers, when others were soaking up the hits. Never could get it valved, sprung, or setup right. The fronts were always good.
Zach23dean likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Police Patrol

I had the rear pro revalve setup for xc with link and wasn't a fan myself. Jmo.
Zach23dean likes this.

-Yfz450R-

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 AM

I valved and setup my axis rear correctly the first time,no bucking.

2005 YFZ 450 XC
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 AM

i would say gtt. he is one of the ones that made the name for the link. no one has any thing like his because he has a patient on it so no links like his for 10 yrs.
the bucking not from a link that would be how your shock is set up.....
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchin1 View Post
i would say gtt. he is one of the ones that made the name for the link. no one has any thing like his because he has a patient on it so no links like his for 10 yrs.
the bucking not from a link that would be how your shock is set up.....
Its cause by the leverage of the shock linkage actually. Changed the linkage and it doesnt buck lol

2014 Sponsor:
Hygear suspension
Moto-xperts
Houser Racing
Scott USA
Fly Racing
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM

I guess you had a bad one then.

2005 YFZ 450 XC
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Hess motorsports has all of the gt thunder linkages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page