questions for xc prep - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveW

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

questions for xc prep

Thought I would start a thread for myself and other new xc guys for the experienced to share a couple thoughts. With some good replies we can all be better prepared.

What is the item (tool, pit supplies, spare part, etc.) you can't go to a race without?

And, what is an item that you use frequently that most people wouldn't think would be useful for racing? Something along the lines of baby wipes to clean your face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 AM

I can't race without my quad

But tools I dont use much or haven't had to much yet. But my most important piece of gear is a hydration pack for sure. Helps out in the race and plus you dont feel as crappy and have as bad of runs after the race haha I also take a few potassium and aspirin pills. Before I leave to line up. Asprin helps thin the blood for helping with arm pump and potassium for cramps ( or eat a banana)

-08 YFZ 450
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(houser mx pro slicast arms, fox float 3 evol rc2, 2.0 fox podium, precision pro and lots of extras)
-07 YFZ 450 (stock with mods done...for now)

Follow me on instagram - @quadmxracer

Follow my nephew on @yfzdaily for sick yfz pics
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 AM

extra tie rods, i bring a spare tire( 4 bolts is easyer then plug and puting air in), fluids, zip ties, every tool i ever use on my atv, rags, water, rain x for the goggles,

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenberger View Post
I can't race without my quad
I knew someone was gonna say that! But you guys are on the right track.
I just thought this would be a good way to share ideas and might make a few of us better prepared.
riding is life likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Like he said, rags, fluids, a small tool box. Never forget your helmet (i almost did the other weekend, was packing in a hurry). I also bring a small cooler with some snacks and drinks (water and gatorade). Hydro pack is great while racing. With summer coming, and the fact i get to the track at 8am and race at 2 or 3, i bring sunscreen, some folding chairs and my popup (eazyup) to give some shade. I also keep an old sheet to throw over the seats incase it rains or is really muddy and i cant get clean enough for the ride home. Also the most important- bring a roll or 2 of toilet paper! My girlfriend laughed at me for bringing the first race she went to, but when the portapotty was out and she needed some, she realized how smart that was. But i always take toilet paper, some basic pills (asprin, heatburn pills, antidiahrea, some bandaids, etc) with me everywhere. I worked in construction, and sometimes u would be in places without toilets/toilet paper, or able to get an asprin without driving 45 minutes away. I think of something new every week since this is my first year in xc. Oh, duct tape too! (for score cards/transponders). But usually someone is willing to let you use what they have if you forgot something. Except the tp. No one gets my tp! Lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM

Ice cold beer after the race! Mmmmmmmm!
Some water and a towel to clean up with.
Tear offs
Small gas tank to top off with on longer races.
Muddy race powermadd gauntlet to keep hands clean and dry.
Spare gloves googles one front and rear tire. Cordless impact
Folding camping chair. Easy up
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 12:45 PM

Do not know what kind of googles you use, But in Dusty conditions I use baby oil around the outside of the foam to keep dust from getting in the inside of you googles. Works like oil filter treatment on your air filter. Pro told me this a long time ago and have been doing it since.

Tie rods are a must and a tire plug kit comes in handy. I also keep a spare set of sprockets with me ( I have never personally needed them but have loaned them countless times)

YFZ450r & YFZ 450X
Ftr #8 Senior
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:29 PM

I always bring an extra throttle cable, clutch cable and some levers (if you dont have the rc-
when I raced Xc ON my z400 I would have a throttle cable all ready routed on the bike and ready to swap in case of a snap..
never had to use it but got the idea when a friend snapped his during a race once.

Nice to have some grips, incase the glue gives and they aren't safety wired or have bar ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page