Another Banshee to play with - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By phillybuilt
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
phillybuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 243
Another Banshee to play with

I know it's not a YFZ-R... and I didn't get rid of mine either, it's so nice having both.

Picked up an 02 black and white banshee last night, FMF pipes, boost bottle (it's gotta go), open airbox with K&N, TORS eliminated, chassis guards, and 22" tires all around. Needs a little love, but what used quad doesn't? This is my second one, slightly less modified than the first one. It's also nice having something that isn't as nice as the 2016 YFZ to just take out and beat up on.

Got it for a good price because it didn't run 100%. Idle was set too high, carbs were dirty and out of sync, plug wires had poor contact, and the slides were in backwards. Not even an hour of work, little bit of hardware, gallon and a half of fresh gas, little carb tuning and it's a one kick machine.

I'm happy with where my R is at, it's perfect for me the way it is. So it was nice to take on another little project. I already ordered a stock crossover tube, and the left side fender support that was missing for the shee. Eventually I'll probably sell it. I'd much rather have the anniversary edition banshee to match my YFZ anyways.
yfzrider82104 and kilroy like this.

2016 YFZ450R 60th Anniversary Edition
phillybuilt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybuilt View Post
I know it's not a YFZ-R... and I didn't get rid of mine either, it's so nice having both.

Picked up an 02 black and white banshee last night, FMF pipes, boost bottle (it's gotta go), open airbox with K&N, TORS eliminated, chassis guards, and 22" tires all around. Needs a little love, but what used quad doesn't? This is my second one, slightly less modified than the first one. It's also nice having something that isn't as nice as the 2016 YFZ to just take out and beat up on.

Got it for a good price because it didn't run 100%. Idle was set too high, carbs were dirty and out of sync, plug wires had poor contact, and the slides were in backwards. Not even an hour of work, little bit of hardware, gallon and a half of fresh gas, little carb tuning and it's a one kick machine.

I'm happy with where my R is at, it's perfect for me the way it is. So it was nice to take on another little project. I already ordered a stock crossover tube, and the left side fender support that was missing for the shee. Eventually I'll probably sell it. I'd much rather have the anniversary edition banshee to match my YFZ anyways.
never mind read it wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sheerider11; 09-22-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Sheerider11 is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
atvman8351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,098
Itís a yfz! Yfz350 hey I got your message where in ct you from?

Ď16 Yfz450r
atvman8351 is online now  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
phillybuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvman8351 View Post
Itís a yfz! Yfz350 hey I got your message where in ct you from?
ATVman you got me on that one. I forgot it is technically a YFZ 350! I'm up in the Torrington area, northwest corner of the state. Under an hour to NY border from here

2016 YFZ450R 60th Anniversary Edition
phillybuilt is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
phillybuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 243
Properly eliminated the TORS and parking brake system by unraveling the entire wiring harness and removing all the splices as well as removing the pin from the connector. Also cleaned up some hacked wiring and a missing connector for the left front headlight. Previous owner said the lights never worked. After laying out the harness, I figured out they had the voltage regulator wire plugged into the brake light wiring.... Oops. Also got a stock crossover tube to replace the boost bottle and a Honda thumb throttle assembly to ease the fatigue.

Next project will be to retrofit dual piston front calipers from a carb YFZ 450, and also possibly the brake master cylinder. Would like to attempt to fit a right front YFZ caliper on the rear to get some better braking power.

It's very interesting going from the banshee to the YFZ. It's like hopping out of a big block chevelle (banshee) and getting into a new corvette (YFZ), they both haul ass, get your heart going, and put a smile on your face, but they do it in two different ways with two completely different feels.

2016 YFZ450R 60th Anniversary Edition
phillybuilt is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
phillybuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 243
Some updates. Trying to get all the jankyness out of the bike.

Added YFZ 450 front calipers and master cylinder. Great upgrade. Ordered some YFZ450R stock handlebars as well.

Engine only had 100 psi compression in both cylinders. All OEM Yamaha, never opened up engine, 64mm bore. Crank had play, cylinders had some rust from sitting, pistons looked fairly new still. New hot rods crankshaft, set of rings, honed cylinders, cut .010 off the head, back to 140 psi. Had under $500 into this refresh using all OEM gaskets/hot rods crankshaft, also including a water pump impeller, new K&N air filter, and another pair of main jets.

Got to meet up with ATVman a few weeks ago. Really nice guy, gave me a great deal on a set of Duro Top Fighters. He also hooked me up with a Lonestar sway bar. If you're reading this... thanks again! Bike looks a hundred times better now with these flat track tires!

Used some carb cleaner and goof off and got the white to look pretty good again. It had a nasty look to it, was more like cream color from sitting outside for so long. Also got a pair of OEM heel guards for cheap. I prefer those over the nerf bars.

Next round of mods, is a set of Alba +2/+1 arms, tie rod ends, new front rotors and pads, YFZ 450r handlebars and adapters, and a hide a key. Axle will follow, just not sure which one to go with yet.

2016 YFZ450R 60th Anniversary Edition
phillybuilt is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,869
I have a bunch of banshee parts. What else do you need?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is online now  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
phillybuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheerider11 View Post
I have a bunch of banshee parts. What else do you need?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I mean, I don't NEED much.... but what do you have?

Only thing on the needs list that I haven't found yet is a new kick start assembly. Might spring for a billet one. I don't know. Got any good kickers?

2016 YFZ450R 60th Anniversary Edition
phillybuilt is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
atvman8351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,098
Hey thanks for the shout out looking good

Ď16 Yfz450r
atvman8351 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome