02' Rappy 660 R Project - advise - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Question 02' Rappy 660 R Project - advise

Just finished reviving a 02' 660R which was sitting for over 7 years with old fuel in the system.

I finally cleaned her up, fully re-built the carbs, replaced all fluids, plug and several fuel lines and sent her to get tuned/dyno and she's running like new.

She is stock for the execption of a modded lid, snorkel removed, UNI 2 stage drop in filter, DynoJet stage 2 jetting and a Yoshi RS3 full exhaust.
At sea level, 85* F. and 50% humidity she managed to crank 43HP with 38.2 ft. lbs. of torque.

This quad is going to mainly for S. Fla. trail riding but the stock suspension even though it's still functional is pretty lame.. I'd hate to pour big money into this bike and I want to keep it as basic as possible and on a budget.
I'd've read that YFZ 450 front shocks and brake calipers is a cheap alternative to slightly improving the OEMs Raptor's ride..
Has anyone tried this?
What's your take?

Max...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM

You will have to cut out part of the bottom a-arms in order for the yfz shocks to fit. The shocks won't bolt to the bottom a arm until some material is removed.

My suggestion...sell the 660 to buy a 700. Night and day difference between those two bikes. I wouldn't put any money into a 660.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdstang2 View Post
You will have to cut out part of the bottom a-arms in order for the yfz shocks to fit. The shocks won't bolt to the bottom a arm until some material is removed.

My suggestion...sell the 660 to buy a 700. Night and day difference between those two bikes. I wouldn't put any money into a 660.
Cool.. So it's doable..

I've considered the route on selling it for a better platform but truthfully considering that it's a second/backup/loaner bike and it's just going to be for basic trail riding, my best option is to keep it and not dump big money on it.
I've done the math and jumping to at least a 05' 700 will set me back close to 3 G's..

Thx for your reply, stang..

Any one knows about the front calipers??

If anyone has a pair of 07'-08' YFZ OEM front shocks laying around, I'm interested on taking them off your hands... ;)

Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM

you have to grind a bit on the upper shock mount as well to get the shocks to bolt up
Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM

I agree with you on changing the suspension to yfz suspension. My friend has a 2014 700 and I hate the handling on it I prefer the 450 100x more.

Just curious, where in South Florida do you ride?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:33 PM

I gotta 660 raptor with a 700 rear shock with links and that was an awesome upgrade. ..drilled for the same location of the Elka link and have tons of travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in