2013 yfz450 charging issue - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

2013 yfz450 charging issue

Hi everyone new to this forum and couldn’t find anything directly related to my current issue which is beginning to drive me mad to say at the least. Alright so needless to say bought a used 2013 yfz450. The guy I bought it from mentioned it won’t charge so I figured cool easy fix i’ll just buy a factory stator from yamaha figured its oem so it must be good. Mind you this guy has chopped some wires cause he was getting ready to race and hacked the brake lights, headlights and ignition switch. Has installed a killswitch and aftermarket push button start. Anyways I installed the stator have everything wired up as it should and still not charginf. Figured ahhh defective new part screw it. Ordered the rectifier/stator kit from Rickys Stators and reinstalled everything once more. Now it won’t even start. Put the new oem stator from yamaha back on and it fires up but still won’t charge. Sooo talked to the guy from Ricky’s and I mentioned I have battery voltage on both yellow wires going to the stator and said thats not suppose to be. My question is how is it getting battery power to 2 wires that aren’t suppose to and how do I fix that? I’ve yet been able to ride this beast all because my charging issue. Any help would be great before I take it out back old yeller style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Also forgot to mention this is just a 450 not an R/X so my bike is the carb version if this helps
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Anybody have this same issue?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:14 PM

I have have an 04 right now. I used to have an 08 both had charging issues. My solution was a kickstart with a striped harness. I had a hell of a time with the harness but just got it figured out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

That’d work but I will be doing a fair amount of riding at night so I need my battery to charge. Was considering buying an entirely new harness to try and resolve this
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 11:51 PM

90% of the riding I do is at night. I have everything you have on your wiring harness except the stuff to start it. I still have a fan and neutral light and all my switches just no charging issues
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Ya only issue is it also doesn't charge currently and I just discovered it might be a ground issue. both red and black wires going into my rectifier are both shooting battery voltage when i'm almost certain the black wire should be ground as its commonly known for that. Time for more wire tracing
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

After looking through a pdf service manual on here I discovered it is a ground and that that ground goes into the main harness connected to like 4-6 other grounds. Come to find out under the left hand side of the frame the previous owner had cut the ground and wrapped it with electrical tape and stuffed it under the upper frame rail. Makes no sense to me but.. i'm pretty sure this will resolve my issue and should get me up on my feet for my first ride on this bike after owning it for about 2 months now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Turns out that ground wire fixed my issue and is now charging thank god! previous owner made that a nightmare for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page