Seating the bead... 6 ply - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By yfzgambler
  • 1 Post By yfzgambler
  • 1 Post By atvman8351
  • 1 Post By Orange2014

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Seating the bead... 6 ply

Mounted up 1st maxxis razr plus 6ply tire to new. Rear OEM wheel.
That went ok after a struggle and tire irons. Trying to seat the bead.
Im inflating the tire to 20 psi and it is inflating just will not pop into the bead area of the wheel. I deflate and ratchet strap 2 straps in the middle and i inn flate to 28 psi ans still no pop. I can see it needs a little in both sides. Concerned to blow up the tire. Sidewall says 36 pso max just seems too much.

Show i try to seat the bead inflating with or without straps in the middle.yes it is taking in air no matter strap or no strap. Im using a high volume "higher end" bike hand pump pumping up and down.

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, thick helicopter tape here and there, some stickers, everything else stock stock stock like the dealer likes it.
PIN IT PIN IT !!! SCREW BREAK IN STEPS and the Owners Manual

On deck.circle: VORTEX ECU/PEAK RACING MOUNT - YOSHI SLIP ON NO SPARKY.

Last edited by yfzgambler; 08-11-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

2nd attempt. Deflated completely push down on bead both sides and sprayed armor all. C wut happens.

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, thick helicopter tape here and there, some stickers, everything else stock stock stock like the dealer likes it.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

GOT ER DONE !!! I inflated to 28 psi. Unhook air pump. And bounced the biatch rotating wise. Heard one pop, thought i was done, look at other side not completeley seated more bounce and it popped a 2nd time. Aired down and set at 5 psi.

A TIP when mounting your own tires. When you use a tire iron to push down into wheel push down at same time on the tire same area of tire with your knee or else it will not WANT TO go in. Of course keep opposite end in dropout.
Orange2014 likes this.

Last edited by yfzgambler; 08-11-2019 at 07:40 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Sin I am a little OCD. I MOUNTED THE RAZR LOGO THAT HAD SOME NUMBER STAMPED INTO IT INSIDE AND LINED UP RAZR LOGO OPPOSITE OF Valve stem.

A little bigger than the OEM ones. Looks good.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.

Last edited by yfzgambler; 08-11-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:28 PM

They would of popped right on with soapy water

Ď16 Yfz450r
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:25 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
How much did you pay for the Maxxis? Where did you buy them at? My rears need to be replaced.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Rockymountain months ago had them on my garage just sittind there i think i paid like 105 each at the time. Rockymountain no longer sells these last time i chexked, maybe people did not want to buy them. At one time the rears 20 11 9s 6 ply were on closeout for 89 bucks on rockymountain. Makes my quad look more aggressive. I like the squarish side lugs. BEEFY BEEFY SIDE LUGS.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 AM

I just ordered these from my local dealer they matched the lowest online price I found which was from Motosport.com. If your dealer wants your business they should do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.

Ď16 Yfz450r
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I bet those 18s give lots lots of acceleration with less rotating mass.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Why didnít you mount the new tires on your se wheels?

Ď16 Yfz450r
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Wanted to have a spare rear wheel set. Plus i can squeeze one or 2 more rides on the stockers some time in the future.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
I had the same bead setting problem as you did. I ended up calling up Maxxis for help. Don't use a tie down around your time because you can damage the tire and if the tie down breaks you can get hurt badly! I had one snap and it almost put my truck's windshield out...LOL

I have a vague how to on my post near the middle of the page: https://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/86-...ike-build.html
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:42 AM

Seating the bead... 6 ply

Next time when seating bead......soapy water on bead. Get it started. Fill to 10lbs. Count to 20. 15lbs. Count to 20. 20lbs. Count to 20. Do that until you get to 30lbs. The pause allows the tire to stretch and seat a little at a time. Bounce it like a basketball. Rotating the tire a few degrees between each bounce. Yea you heard me right. Like a basketball. Not spiking a football. Slight bounce with a roll. By the time you get 3/4 of the way around it will seat. 6 plys are stiff. They need a little persuasion. 30 lbs seems to be the sweet spot for this method. Less than that it wouldnít seat on two full bounce revolutions when mounting my six plys.

Ohh. Thatís exactly what you did. Iím a dumbass for posting without reading first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.

Last edited by Orange2014; 08-15-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in