mpg fuel testing - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sheerider11
  • 1 Post By mx_599

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

mpg fuel testing

If any of you can help assess miles per ounce accurately, I will give $50 gift certificates to a few to offset your troubles.
The data is going towards a good cause and should be useful to many into the future if we get it right.

Hope there is some interest.

2019 YFZ450R SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:01 PM

mpg fuel testing

Calculating mpg’s is difficult because of too many factors. If your talking long distance worried about not making it to the pit for your guys race. IMS tank an tune on 110. 14.9 stoichiometric a/f ratio means your going to get more miles per tank then a standard E10 pump fuel. Go through the race sponsor or Rebel oil off Sahara in Las Vegas has Sunoco standard for around $8/gallon. They can get you drums or have it at the pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Orange2014; 06-10-2019 at 03:08 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange2014 View Post
Calculating mpg’s is difficult because of too many factors. If your talking long distance worried about not making it to the pit for your guys race. IMS tank an tune on 110. 14.9 stoichiometric a/f ratio means your going to get more miles per tank then a standard E10 pump fuel. Go through the race sponsor or Rebel oil off Sahara in Las Vegas has Sunoco standard for around $8/gallon. They can get you drums or have it at the pump.

So you are saying 110 miles on race gas in IMS tank? We were going to use pump gas

2019 YFZ450R SE

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 PM

mpg fuel testing

No 110 octane leaded race fuel. How many miles will be dependent on your build. Which will be a combination of motor work, gearing, fuel, tires sizes, and tuning. Small factors like running race fuel that allows advanced timing make dramatic differences in fuel consumption.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 PM

There is no magic number. Ill last over an hour. A dune guy will last less.
I'll go 1.5hr at a xc race stock tank. I've finished with the fuel light on, I've finished with out it. All depends on the course.
Play riding. I'm in sand pits. With the dirt tires in the sand i am on the gas much more. I'll go 45 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Orange2014 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheerider11 View Post
There is no magic number. Ill last over an hour. A dune guy will last less.
I'll go 1.5hr at a xc race stock tank. I've finished with the fuel light on, I've finished with out it. All depends on the course.
Play riding. I'm in sand pits. With the dirt tires in the sand i am on the gas much more. I'll go 45 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I see. Well, was still hoping to get a more concrete high and low value. I understand if not possible.
The quad mostly has periphery engine mods with no significant internal changes.
The only way I could think of to test was to use a very small known quantity fuel, a GPS device for miles, and then essentially mimic as close to as what one would a assume a desert race would be like with regard to throttle opening on relatively flat land until done. See recorded GPS miles. I figured regardless of mods and conditions, it would trend to fairly known constant range. By this, one could extrapolate miles per gallon and their respective tank size and or auxiliary tank ranges. Futture racers would have a mileage range of expectation.
But I can investigate in the future!

2019 YFZ450R SE

Last edited by mx_599; 06-10-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
If I can remember on an overflowing 3 mod bike with an IMS 3.8gallon tank I can get between 45 miles to 65 miles depending on speed and terrain. MX_599 if you want to hit a section of 5 miles of whoops each way and run it back and forth 6 times that will give you a good start to train for your race..LOL....

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
If I can remember on an overflowing 3 mod bike with an IMS 3.8gallon tank I can get between 45 miles to 65 miles depending on speed and terrain. MX_599 if you want to hit a section of 5 miles of whoops each way and run it back and forth 6 times that will give you a good start to train for your race..LOL....
lol

wow, that's crappy mileage. I guess we will have to stop at all station check points

I look forward to riding with you guys. I cannot make it it happen before this race though. I will have a new job after race and then obviously the ATV will be built up.
kilroy likes this.

2019 YFZ450R SE
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
I'll try and get you a better fuel consumption number on my bike this weekend it might be closer to the 65 miles however, I don't know how much full throttle stretches that you will have? Did you guys check out Baja Atv Riders Only FB page? https://www.facebook.com/BajaAtvRidersOnly/

Duncan Racing and Doug Roll might have some suggestions?

Last edited by kilroy; 06-11-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
I'll try and get you a better fuel consumption number on my bike this weekend it might be closer to the 65 miles however, I don't know how much full throttle stretches that you will have?
Well, I think it is finally sinking in, didn't mean to be stubborn on issue.
Some reason I had it in my head you can get 100+ miles and strategically plan gas pits. But I guess ALL racers pretty much pit 13 times and I was stubborn to accept that.
This is the vibe I am getting.
Now looking into quick fill cap😁

2019 YFZ450R SE
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Silsby is the social media wizard and I was not listening to him. I think he has talked to all those guys and said pit each time.
I kept thinking we could bypass some pits. Sounds like no way

I am finally coming to terms with my fuel problems.

2019 YFZ450R SE

Last edited by mx_599; 06-11-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page