Electrical issue please help, this ones a good one... - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Drog858

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Electrical issue please help, this ones a good one...

I have a 2008 yfz450 that I bought from a friend about two months ago it sat for about 4 years. I cleaned it up, carb rebuild, put hmf slip on on and it was running fine, took to on a small dune trip to Bowie az ran great for two days. The friend that sold it to me showed up and took it for a ride and said it's back firing which it did not do when I rode it. So ever since then about three weeks ago it back fires and bogs only when I stand up. If I sit down it runs great but standing immediately causes popping and poor running. I'm at a total loss as to why this is happening but think it's the seat pushing on a wire or switch/relay somewhere when I sit down. I thought it as the relay above the battery which is under the seat but today I started the bike and pulled the relay out and the bike did the same thing, ran fine when sitting but not standing or with the seat off. Messed with the plug that goes into the starter switch under the seat between the two fuses same thing. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? I do have the relay in order but don't know if this would be the issue as I thought it as only for sending power to the starter switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Garage
Did you check your grounds and the black single wire running back towards the battery?

2017 YFZ450R XC Setup - O’Neal Racing, Leatt, 4Arm Strong, Engine Ice, ASV Inventions, Ryno Power, ODI Grips, AMSOIL, Sunstar Engineering, Braking, Acerbis Plastics, Kenda Tires, SCOTT, Peak Racing Products, RadicalX

Follow me on Instagram, FB or YouTube at silsby103
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I did check the black single wire unplugged it and plugged it back in seemed to make a good connection. As far as other grounds no as I didn't see any others back there near the air box.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:47 PM

Garage
Take a video and post it, that would help diagnose. Did you check all of the battery connections for the solenoid and battery under the seat (the bolted ones)? That is a very odd problem to have, I've never seen it happen before. I did have a solenoid come loose once but the seat didn't make a difference that I noticed.

2017 YFZ450R XC Setup - O’Neal Racing, Leatt, 4Arm Strong, Engine Ice, ASV Inventions, Ryno Power, ODI Grips, AMSOIL, Sunstar Engineering, Braking, Acerbis Plastics, Kenda Tires, SCOTT, Peak Racing Products, RadicalX

Follow me on Instagram, FB or YouTube at silsby103
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

I'll try to make one tonight and post it. I do get the relay today but I don't think that's the problem at this point but we'll see.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I've checked the posts to the solenoid and they seem solid I didn't actually put a wrench on them though as they were never removed when cleaning up the bike.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:55 PM

Garage
Check the intake and the exhaust as well. May be moving something that is causing a vacuum leak. Also check the fuel line to make sure it's not being pinched.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

So I pulled the plastic off the rear end and moved the battery so it's sitting in the air box, stripped the harness back to just before the air box and checked ask the wires found that the small ground that goes to the negative was only holding on by like two copper strands of wire so I fixed that ground but still had the issue. Decided about an hour later to put the bike on a jack and run it in second with the tires off the ground and applying some back brake at times to simulate a load no popping, then rode it down the street and no popping but with the battery just testing in the air box I can't really get on it to see if it's fixed I'll put it all back together today and update everyone. Does anyone know what that small black wire does that's grounded to the negative and runs into the harness? Online someone said it goes directly to the cdi.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

If it does it again I'll make a video this weekend see if anyone can chime in on what they think it is. The fuel doesn't seem like it could be a possibility cause it ran perfect when I'm sitting down it's only when I stand or there is no seat that it runs poorly. I did replace that relay in the back and no change.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Ended up being a float issue. When standing it starved to bowl just enough to cause it to lean out and backfire. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
SilsbySilverado103 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page