Invest in a good case saver! - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Invest in a good case saver!

This is a buddies 16r. Chain broke, it had a tm poly case saver. Definitely didnít do its job.Invest in a good case saver!-img_1225.jpgInvest in a good case saver!-img_1227.jpgInvest in a good case saver!-img_1228.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 SE
gytr slip on, kn filter, oil mod, dwt beadlocks with kenda kutters, pro taper bars, cycra guards, cfm oversized oil tank, tusk axle, tusk nerfs, asv levers....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:22 PM

DRW for the win?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Garage
Ouch that sucks! I have a Glann and have had the chain come off twice in one race and no issues :)
kilroy likes this.

2017 YFZ450R XC Setup - OíNeal Racing, Leatt, 4Arm Strong, Engine Ice, ASV Inventions, Ryno Power, ODI Grips, AMSOIL, Sunstar Engineering, Braking, Acerbis Plastics, Kenda Tires, SCOTT, Peak Racing Products, RadicalX

Follow me on Instagram, FB or YouTube at silsby103

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilsbySilverado103 View Post
Ouch that sucks! I have a Glann and have had the chain come off twice in one race and no issues :)

Exactly what was recommended to him. These things are a lot easier to pull than the carb model.

06 SE
gytr slip on, kn filter, oil mod, dwt beadlocks with kenda kutters, pro taper bars, cycra guards, cfm oversized oil tank, tusk axle, tusk nerfs, asv levers....
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa110 View Post
DRW for the win?
Glann is superior to the drw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:20 PM

Was it a stock chain? How many hrs before it gave? Anyone know how many times a chain can "stretch" before retiring the chain? My OEM stock chain already "streched" (actually wore down) once. I tightened it a little.
My guess was the chain was excessively loose creating a major shock to the chain.
New quality brand name chains with clip on style master links are those clip on master links reliable when installed correctly?

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, thick helicopter tape here and there, some stickers, everything else stock stock stock like the dealer likes it.
PIN IT PIN IT !!! SCREW BREAK IN STEPS.

On deck.circle: VORTEX ECU/PEAK RACING MOUNT - YOSHI SLIP ON NO SPARKY.

Last edited by yfzgambler; 04-09-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha92 View Post
This is a buddies 16r. Chain broke, it had a tm poly case saver. Definitely didnít do its job.Attachment 87439Attachment 87441Attachment 87443

Anyone know why motorcycle manufactures cannot simply bolt a case saver to the frame with a shock absorving repleaceable section so that the engine aluminum mounting points do not take the hit? Is it really that impossible to manufacture?

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, thick helicopter tape here and there, some stickers, everything else stock stock stock like the dealer likes it.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzgambler View Post
Was it a stock chain? How many hrs before it gave? Anyone know how many times a chain can "stretch" before retiring the chain? My OEM stock chain already "streched" (actually wore down) once. I tightened it a little.
My guess was the chain was excessively loose creating a major shock to the chain.
New quality brand name chains with clip on style master links are those clip on master links reliable when installed correctly?

Heís got 60hrs on it. This was his 2nd chain. It was definitely aftermarket. Donít remember brand but it wasnít cheap. Iím not sure what caused it to break but the stress from mx didnít help. The first broke after casing a jump and cracking the swing arm.

06 SE
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 PM

I read something about a chain roller re-locator?

Something about the chain causing the swingarm to fracture under extreme jumping...

I just got a 2007 and the upper chain roller is missing completely. I do not know if previous owner did on purpose or if it got damaged and removed.

Anyone know anything about this?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 AM

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
Wow I have 221 hours on my oem chain and it's still in great shape! I'm going to easily get one more season out of it....I'm wondering if the chains with the removable links aren't a problem.....?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:38 PM

The weak link
kilroy likes this.

2016 YFZ450R - Curtis sparks pipe, FCI w/box, Vortex,Rath signature series nerfs and bumper,hiper tech 3 dual rear beadlocks/non beadlocks fronts,razr mx rears/cross fronts,ASV levers,white cv4 radiator hoses,13 cable holder for ais delete,acerbis handguards,alba parking brake block off
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa110 View Post
I read something about a chain roller re-locator?

Something about the chain causing the swingarm to fracture under extreme jumping...

I just got a 2007 and the upper chain roller is missing completely. I do not know if previous owner did on purpose or if it got damaged and removed.

Anyone know anything about this?

If you have long travel suspension or even use the full travel of the stock suspension you will need the relocator for the upper mount. It just moves it up like an inch and a half. I would recommend re-adding it though because it keeps the proper chain tension throughout the travel of the shock.
kilroy likes this.

2017 YFZ450R XC Setup - OíNeal Racing, Leatt, 4Arm Strong, Engine Ice, ASV Inventions, Ryno Power, ODI Grips, AMSOIL, Sunstar Engineering, Braking, Acerbis Plastics, Kenda Tires, SCOTT, Peak Racing Products, RadicalX

Follow me on Instagram, FB or YouTube at silsby103
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:49 PM

I personally would never reuse a master link and the clip. You remove those things it goes in the trash. That is just me.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
Wow I have 221 hours on my oem chain and it's still in great shape! I'm going to easily get one more season out of it....I'm wondering if the chains with the removable links aren't a problem.....?

How many times has the OEM chain "stretched" on you kilroy ?

At 25 hours i had to tighten it just a little one time.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
I've tightened mine once since May of 2014. I don't MX and I only have a 3 mod bike so more power or the blows from a MX track will affect the chain life. If you are a trail rider I would run the oem chain.....
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Very reliable. I have reused them many, many times. Visually inspect and reuse. Don't remove them in stupid fashion.

One thing to look for is obvious wear of the master link and clip usually against a very worn chain block that is channeled out and needs replacing.
I will replace if pins/clip/pin clip grooves are chamfered from, usually, block wear.
kawa110 likes this.

2019 YFZ450R SE

Last edited by mx_599; 04-14-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I personally would never reuse a master link and the clip. You remove those things it goes in the trash. That is just me.
Don't be afraid to re-use them and obviously orient in the forward position. [see comment above]

Gently remove with blunt nose plier-like tool.

Now use the money you saved and go buy some scratcher tickets.
yfzgambler and kawa110 like this.

2019 YFZ450R SE

Last edited by mx_599; 04-14-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
How many times has the OEM chain "stretched" on you kilroy ?

At 25 hours i had to tighten it just a little one time.

Generally, it's a slow stretch to ultimate death. Sure, might be a little more when new...but it will keep stretching.

Higher end chains maybe not as much...but still keep stretching. You know, they are consumables. But don't expect some stabilization point. Of course over tightening and sprocket tooth wear would play roles in this

2019 YFZ450R SE
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Any preferred spray on products to clean o ring chaings?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page