Best all-around rear tire? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Best all-around rear tire?

I live in Northern California, for the most part dry - dusty trails, some rocks, loose over hard, looking for a good Tire that I can trail ride with but won't be terrible on occasional motocross track days. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
Maxxis Razr...

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...xxis-Razr-Tire

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t...V-Racing-Tires

If you find them cheaper post your store and price....You will probably want a 6 ply tire for off road? If you're in northern California and have lots of decomposed granite and exposed rocks like in Shasta National forest the Razr rears and Razr2 fronts are an excellent choice. If the granite is slick the Razr XC fronts might be a better front tire.

There are other great choices however, they may be heavier if you're going to the MX track. GBC Ground Buster 2, Pulse, Goldspeed.... My Razr rear tires and Razr 2 front tires are considerably heavier than the oem tires! My guess you will get 100 hours of ride time on the rear Razrs before you have to buy new...That's about two summer riding seasons.

New Razr Plus tires that look awesome!
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...Razr-Plus-Tire

Sheerider if you have that FB tire link post it please! ;)

Last edited by kilroy; 05-06-2018 at 02:33 PM.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Garage
I have had the razr XC on my raptor for the last couple year's and I love them.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...QaAuDlEALw_wcB
kilroy likes this.

2014 YFZR

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Watcha think? Im liking rhe fronts they look beeefy and they say it is a true 21inch front tire. When it comes to new tires im torn between these and the new razr plus....

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, thick helicopter tape here and there, some stickers, everything else stock stock stock like the dealer likes it.
PIN IT PIN IT !!! SCREW BREAK IN STEPS.

On deck.circle: VORTEX ECU/PEAK RACING MOUNT - YOSHI SLIP ON NO SPARKY.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:38 PM

Does any company make any 21" (non paddle) rear tires? I dont get why they upsize by 2 inches. Would be cool if they went 18 inch 19 inch 20inch 21 inch 22 inch 23 inch....

Ideally i would like 22inch fronts and 21inch rears for more clearance and run over stuff easier.

If not i will get the tallest 21 fronts and tallest 20 rears i can find.

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, thick helicopter tape here and there, some stickers, everything else stock stock stock like the dealer likes it.

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzgambler View Post
Does any company make any 21" (non paddle) rear tires? I dont get why they upsize by 2 inches. Would be cool if they went 18 inch 19 inch 20inch 21 inch 22 inch 23 inch....

Ideally i would like 22inch fronts and 21inch rears for more clearance and run over stuff easier.

If not i will get the tallest 21 fronts and tallest 20 rears i can find.

It's funny you asked this question my oem sized Razr rear and Razr 2 fronts changed my ride height by 1" front and back so they actually oversized and are 22" front and 21" rear!..LOL...It has made a huge difference and I don't hit hardly any rocks on the trail anymore!

Last edited by kilroy; 05-06-2018 at 02:39 PM.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:40 PM

I use the AMS PacTrax tires. They are tough as nails, wear good, and put me on the podium. I use them for XC, but when I'm lazy and leave them on for MX, they do great also. They are seriously tough though, I lucked out and by random chance got them in a hurry and have never looked back.

Ride it like your health insurance deductible has been met!
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
It's funny you asked this question my oem sized Razr rear and Razr 2 fronts changed my ride height by 1" front and back so they actually oversized and are 22" front and 21" rear!..LOL...It has made a huge difference and I don't hit hardly any rocks on the trail anymore!
Are the rear razr2s even beefier/taller than the regular razrs? I want max clearance on 20inch rears. I ride rocky trails

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 11:41 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
I would only do the Razr rears the Razr 2's are really heavy.....
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have an opinion on the Razr Plus?
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
The guy who has the yellow R above says they hook better than the Razrs.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:21 PM

I'm a big fan of the GBC ground buster 3 rear and XC master front tires, I've used Maxxis Razr XC, CST, DWT XC V2, and the GBC's might be my favorite so far. They handle really well and get great traction, and they are tough. My last set I used for almost 1.5 seasons of racing (about 12 harescramble and desert races, ranging from 1 to 1.5 hours each) and they still had around 70% tread left on the rear, and this was a lot of hardpack and rocky terrain so not easy on tires, also never had a flat since I switched to GBC after tearing up 2 Razr XC's and 1 DWT XC v2.

kilroy and Orange2014 like this.

2012 YFZ450R

LEVEL 4 Racing | WORCS Pro-AM

My Youtube channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 PM

Im liking those razr plus tires and the pattern. I am not a fan of the H PATTERN DOG BONE LOOKING pattern as in the razr tires....

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:05 PM

And i might have to visit different dealerships to see if they have them in stock to see them in person. Sometimes pictures dont do justice...

post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagels View Post
I'm a big fan of the GBC ground buster 3 rear and XC master front tires, I've used Maxxis Razr XC, CST, DWT XC V2, and the GBC's might be my favorite so far. They handle really well and get great traction, and they are tough. My last set I used for almost 1.5 seasons of racing (about 12 harescramble and desert races, ranging from 1 to 1.5 hours each) and they still had around 70% tread left on the rear, and this was a lot of hardpack and rocky terrain so not easy on tires, also never had a flat since I switched to GBC after tearing up 2 Razr XC's and 1 DWT XC v2.

Love the ground busters. Getting ready to order the same set up.
kilroy likes this.

Last edited by YaDoneMessedUpA_A_ron; 05-10-2018 at 12:35 AM.
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Im liking those razr plus tires and the pattern. I am not a fan of the H PATTERN DOG BONE LOOKING pattern as in the razr tires....

Imo best bang for your buck is the STI tech 4 xc tires. I've had them on two different quads and they hold up just as good as the razr tires.
yfzse450x likes this.
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
Maxxis Razr...

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...xxis-Razr-Tire

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t...V-Racing-Tires

If you find them cheaper post your store and price....You will probably want a 6 ply tire for off road? If you're in northern California and have lots of decomposed granite and exposed rocks like in Shasta National forest the Razr rears and Razr2 fronts are an excellent choice. If the granite is slick the Razr XC fronts might be a better front tire.

There are other great choices however, they may be heavier if you're going to the MX track. GBC Ground Buster 2, Pulse, Goldspeed.... My Razr rear tires and Razr 2 front tires are considerably heavier than the oem tires! My guess you will get 100 hours of ride time on the rear Razrs before you have to buy new...That's about two summer riding seasons.

New Razr Plus tires that look awesome!
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...Razr-Plus-Tire

Sheerider if you have that FB tire link post it please! ;)

Hey kilroy !!

Drill those rivets out and remove warning labels !!!

post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Will razr2 rear 20 11 9 give me more top speed? Equivalent as stock tires with 37 rear sprocket?

post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Will razr2 rear 20 11 9 give me more top speed? Equivalent as stock tires with 37 rear sprocket?
If it's all stock, no. Smaller rear sprocket will give you more top speed.
Bigger tires will too. Just more work to get there.
Some tires grow more then others at speed too. That'll give you more speed as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
kilroy likes this.
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
Quote:
Hey kilroy !!

Drill those rivets out and remove warning labels !!!
On the fenders?

LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in