Joined the carb gang - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By phillybuilt
  • 1 Post By atvman8351

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Joined the carb gang

Browsing the interwebs yesterday and I stumbled upon a 2006 YFZ450 that needed some love. The guy said $600 firm in the post, so I messaged him yesterday afternoon, and got out there last night. It has SS wheels with brand new quad boss tires, and a nice Yoshimura exhaust. After I saw those two things, I knew I could get my money back if it came to a part out. So I took it home with me.

Needs chain and sprockets, steering stem, clutch and throttle cables, rear shock, throttle assembly, clutch cable bracket, battery, and the right side lower plastic to begin with. Cylinder looks new, and fresh gaskets all around make me think it may have been rebuilt recently. Carburetor had a 48 pilot, and this strange looking main jet that just said C13 on it but was roughly same size as a 175. The center body gasket is perfectly fine, inspected that while I had the carb apart. This was the jetting with the lid on, going to try it without the lid. Changed the oil also, and the oil that came out looked great. Also drained and cleaned out the gas tank and fuel valve.

At this point, I'm just going to put a battery from another machine in it, see if it starts up and runs halfway decent. If the engine is kicked, might just do a YFZshee project or part it out. I would really like to keep it for a woods/trail bike when I don't wanna thrash my 2016. After fixing up the 04 in my garage, I'm quite impressed with the carb model YFZ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
atvman8351 likes this.

2016 YFZ450R 60th Anniversary Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Looks like a good deal to me
phillybuilt likes this.

Ď16 Yfz450r
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvman8351 View Post
Looks like a good deal to me
That's what I'm saying... it was impossible to pass up!

Got it running last night. Oil change, carb clean, cleaned gas tank and fresh fuel was all that I needed. There's no throttle cable so I had to rev it with a pick. It was still a little funny to start sometimes, even after cleaning the carburetor out really well. The engine sounds very good. No ticking or knocking. I'm going to pull the valve cover off to check the valve clearances, if they're good it's full send.

My cart is up over $400 with this thing. Going easy too. Yikes.

Also, if anyone is reading this and has stock YFZ450 parts, please message me. I'm looking for the stock heel guards, and a full stock exhaust. I have a set of Pro Armor nerf bars I would gladly trade for stock heel guards, and I would trade my Yoshimura for a stock exhaust plus cash on your end. I have to get pics of the exhaust, but it's in great shape.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:23 AM

I Would like those nerf bars, I have a 07.
Price for the nerf bars, Iíll send u my stock heel guards and pegs plus cash for the nerf bars.

My stock heel guards are used. I can take photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa110 View Post
I Would like those nerf bars, I have a 07.
Price for the nerf bars, Iíll send u my stock heel guards and pegs plus cash for the nerf bars.

My stock heel guards are used. I can take photos.

Man, I am so sorry we had issues before with banshee parts. The kid I built the last one had the patience of a fly... wouldn't be surprised if the crappy stator he got died in a month or two.

Let me get these packaged up, and I'll give them to my girlfriend. I think she can ship them out on her business account. Gotta get a box big enough first.

If your heel guards are in good shape, just send em for a straight trade. Only what I have pictured is what came with it, they may need hardware and/or other pieces. If you need more pictures of anything let me know and I'll text them to you.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Donít remember the banshee part issue....

Lol

Do you have the pegs for the nerf bars? I can get bolts.

Iíll take some pics of the heal guards.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa110 View Post
Donít remember the banshee part issue....

Lol

Do you have the pegs for the nerf bars? I can get bolts.

Iíll take some pics of the heal guards.

I felt bad because I asked you about the banshee stator for a customer, and he went out and got one before you even had a chance to test yours. I hate that kinda thing!

This thing has OEM pegs on it, so you would need to get the pro pegs and I think you also need the tube that links the two halves in front. That's the other reason I didn't want you to add cash.

If it's something you think you can make work, by all means let's do a straight trade. If not no worries. I found the pro pegs doing a quick search on Ebay, someone may have them cheaper though.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Iíll take some pics when I get home of the heel guards. Taking bike out this weekend, replacing clutch when I get home, lots to do to get ready. I will try and remember to get he pics to you.

I can make those work. Iíll buy pro pegs and make a connector pipe.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybuilt View Post
That's what I'm saying... it was impossible to pass up!

Got it running last night. Oil change, carb clean, cleaned gas tank and fresh fuel was all that I needed. There's no throttle cable so I had to rev it with a pick. It was still a little funny to start sometimes, even after cleaning the carburetor out really well. The engine sounds very good. No ticking or knocking. I'm going to pull the valve cover off to check the valve clearances, if they're good it's full send.

My cart is up over $400 with this thing. Going easy too. Yikes.

Also, if anyone is reading this and has stock YFZ450 parts, please message me. I'm looking for the stock heel guards, and a full stock exhaust. I have a set of Pro Armor nerf bars I would gladly trade for stock heel guards, and I would trade my Yoshimura for a stock exhaust plus cash on your end. I have to get pics of the exhaust, but it's in great shape.

Hey man. I have the heel guards and exhaust of you want.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Browsing the interwebs yesterday and I stumbled upon a 2006 YFZ450 that needed some love. The guy said $600 firm in the post, so I messaged him yesterday afternoon, and got out there last night. It has SS wheels with brand new quad boss tires, and a nice Yoshimura exhaust. After I saw those two things, I knew I could get my money back if it came to a part out. So I took it home with me.

Needs chain and sprockets, steering stem, clutch and throttle cables, rear shock, throttle assembly, clutch cable bracket, battery, and the right side lower plastic to begin with. Cylinder looks new, and fresh gaskets all around make me think it may have been rebuilt recently. Carburetor had a 48 pilot, and this strange looking main jet that just said C13 on it but was roughly same size as a 175. The center body gasket is perfectly fine, inspected that while I had the carb apart. This was the jetting with the lid on, going to try it without the lid. Changed the oil also, and the oil that came out looked great. Also drained and cleaned out the gas tank and fuel valve.

At this point, I'm just going to put a battery from another machine in it, see if it starts up and runs halfway decent. If the engine is kicked, might just do a YFZshee project or part it out. I would really like to keep it for a woods/trail bike when I don't wanna thrash my 2016. After fixing up the 04 in my garage, I'm quite impressed with the carb model YFZ.

And I own restaurant in chestnut hill so we would have to ship.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaCaviar View Post
Hey man. I have the heel guards and exhaust of you want.

Thank you I appreciate that. Used to go to Allentown for dealership training, that's only 3 and a half hours away. I was waiting to hear from kawa about the heel guards, we were supposed to be trading. Does the exhaust have the spark arrestor and everything intact? If so, what do you want for it? And what other towns are near your chestnut hill, because 5 of them come up on mapquest... lol

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you I appreciate that. Used to go to Allentown for dealership training, that's only 3 and a half hours away. I was waiting to hear from kawa about the heel guards, we were supposed to be trading. Does the exhaust have the spark arrestor and everything intact? If so, what do you want for it? And what other towns are near your chestnut hill, because 5 of them come up on mapquest... lol

Are you from philly? Chestnut hill is philadelphia

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you from philly? Chestnut hill is philadelphia

CT... my name is Phil hence the nickname

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
CT... my name is Phil hence the nickname

Haha. I assumed you were from Philadelphia. My bad man.

Iím far from you.

The exhaust has the arrestor in it. Itís itís ok shape. Nothing wrong with it could use some love aesthetically. Itís been in my dry basement since 07.

Make an offer

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Haha. I assumed you were from Philadelphia. My bad man.

Iím far from you.

The exhaust has the arrestor in it. Itís itís ok shape. Nothing wrong with it could use some love aesthetically. Itís been in my dry basement since 07.

Make an offer

I don't know exact value. I don't mean to low ball you either. Cheapest I saw on Ebay was $60 shipped. $50 + shipping? If I'm in the right ballpark let's make a deal. Otherwise, I apologize if I cut you at the knees.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know what needle this might be? It's roughly 103mm long, 7 clip positions, and has no markings on it whatsoever... wondering if I should order an NCVQ needle or use what I already have?

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

This thing is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Pulled the cam cover to check valve clearances, found the hot cam writing on the cam gear. SK022 on the exhaust cam, and SK023 on the intake. I believe that's stage one identification marks. The valve clearances are all too tight on the intake, and one is too loose on the exhaust side. Probably explains the inconsistent starting. It would start right up one time, and crank for awhile the next. Luckily the shim kit is the same as a TRX450R, which I had already.

The carbs back out on the table waiting for the flex jet to come in. Looking forward to not having to worry about pulling the carb to adjust fuel screw. Probably going to use my mystery needle, 175 main, and the 48 pilot that came with it as a starting point. Might just scrap the idea of going back to stock exhaust with the airbox lid on now that I discovered these cams.

The pile of parts is coming in between Friday and Monday. Now if we could get a break with the cold. It's around 25 outside and blowing, definitely tough working in the garage with no heating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page