Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build

I am going to be building an Orange 2014 YFZ450R into a trail bike over the next couple months, I figured I would share my build. I started with an almost stock bike, bought one with AIS delete and nerf bars. I attached a photo of what it looked like on my first ride. It has seen some abuse and misuse and needs some maintenance but I plan to bring it back to life.

First thing on the list. rear rotor was hit hard and bent, I ordered a new one already and plan to replace rear rotor and pads. Looks like it left a large gash in the plastic swing arm guard. I want to replace that with a Ricochet Guard as well. Both the Yamaha OEM undercarriage protectors are crap.

I have a lot of parts shipping to me, I will update periodically as I install new parts! Ordered Fuel Customs Intake, Vortex ECU, and Rossier Engineering exhaust. Also have wheels and tires coming soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	87559  
kilroy and SilsbySilverado103 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Installed new wheels, tires & Alba Racing front bumper.

Went with:
Goldspeed Silver Tec's 3+2 kit
Kenda Kutter XC 20x11-9 Rear and 21x7-10 Fronts

I plan to be riding in muddy and semi-wet conditions so I went with the Kenda Kutters, they had great reviews and come with a great price. I had Maxxis Razr 2's on my 250 Raptor build and wanted to try something different.

To get the bead in place I used WD-40 and an empty propane tank for leverage. I placed a wash mitt over the top of the propane tank to prevent scratching and placed the wheel on it. I then used WD-40 on the tire bead and pushed the tires over the wheel. Had all four mounted in under an hour.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2559.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	87561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2842.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	87563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2841.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	87565  
kilroy likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 PM

Looks good where you from?
Mikeman902 likes this.

‘16 Yfz450r

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Garage
You're going to love those tires. They perform awesome! You'll also love the Vortex when you finally get it.
Mikeman902 likes this.

2017 YFZ450R XC Setup - O’Neal Racing, Leatt, 4Arm Strong, Engine Ice, ASV Inventions, Ryno Power, ODI Grips, AMSOIL, Sunstar Engineering, Braking, Acerbis Plastics, Kenda Tires, SCOTT, Peak Racing Products, RadicalX, FourWerx

Follow me on Instagram, FB or YouTube at silsby103
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvman8351 View Post
Looks good where you from?
Thank You! I am from Chicago, IL but I ride in Wisconsin and Indiana a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilsbySilverado103 View Post
You're going to love those tires. They perform awesome! You'll also love the Vortex when you finally get it.
I already love them! They rip through everything I ride through! I noticed you put them on your build and I thought id try them out. I can't wait to get my Vortex in too! This international back-order sucks. I have one fully-paid and have been waiting three weeks for shipping already. Although, I read on the Honda forums that Vortex has started shipping to distributors so hopefully I have one but mid-June.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed my Fuel Customs Intake with box this morning!
Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-v1r-fb27qzym-dpohknabq.jpg

Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-jrz2xmvurgef79p92mkbdq.jpg

This actually helped with a-lot of the low end bog I was feeling, even with the AIS delete it was bad. After install I instantly noticed a small power boost and much better throttle response.

Install Tip:
In order to attach the intake boot to the throttle body, I had to loosen the throttle body clamps. This allowed the throttle body to move just enough to slip the boot over the throttle body hole. Then tighten everything back down and I was set!

I also replaced my rear rotor and pads!
Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-idg9s6bcrewnnruplum44a.jpg
Got a Riptide style rotor from Race Driven and pads from them as well. Took a couple laps up and down the alley before they began to bite but now they work amazing. I feel like I can stop on a dime! They also sent me a free drink koozie too!

Install Tip: I started this project without the proper tools and soon realized my mistake when I began. I did not have a 24mm socket for the castle nut holding the hub onto the axle. It is required you take the right wheel hub off to get the rotor off properly. Make sure you have this socket before hand as most basic sets don't include it.

2014 YFZ450R - Rossier Engineering, FCI, Vortex X10, Peak Breather, Goldspeed Wheels, Kenda Kutter XC Tires
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finished a couple of things up in the last couple days!

In order to protect my new rotor, I got some undercarriage protection! Bought the GYTR Poly skid plate and a Ricochet Bullet! The Ricochet is currently on back order though. so instead, I had one of my friends who works with Aluminum fabricate a temporary one for me! It actually looks great too!
Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-gjlaswpqqu-w2mnbj3eauw.jpg

I upgraded my nerf bars to Housers, I love them but I may eventually switch to Rath's. Also added a Glann Case saver, in my opinion they offer the most protection vs anyone else case saver design! and as you can see in this picture, I just deleted my parking brake.
Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-1dthe8cirrm8z25eizynyq.jpg

I ran out of room for tools so I had to do some upgrades to the garage as well. I went out and got myself a US General 44" roller box from Harbor Freight. It fits perfectly and now I have plenty of space for all the equipment/tools ill be adding in the future.
Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-58182428650__c2ad07ea-9663-4d4d-b769-15eb76fdbb4d.jpg

FUTURE PLANS:
Waiting on a couple of parts to arrive still. Rossier Exhaust, Vortex ECU, Peak Breather Box, Walsh +1 Stem, Precision Shock & Vibe clamps, Protaper Handlebars, ASV levers, ODI Grips.

I plan to do suspension sometime over the winter. What else should I be in the market for? I am looking for a custom graphics kit who does everyone use?

2014 YFZ450R - Rossier Engineering, FCI, Vortex X10, Peak Breather, Goldspeed Wheels, Kenda Kutter XC Tires
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I’ve done a lot since my last post, I’ll give a larger update soon:

Installed my +1 Walsh Stem, ProTaper Blue Handlebars, and my Precision Vibe & Clamps. Install of this was all pretty simple. I will be adding ODI Lock on Grips & ASV C6 Levers in the next update. Vortex has already been installed as well thanks to KB MotorSport!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ACC77548-FBB8-43D2-A044-83B8276E22AB_1566445588015.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	87737  

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:19 AM

Coming along nicely download the Tapatalk app to post pictures
Mikeman902 likes this.

‘16 Yfz450r
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:59 AM

Garage
Looking great! For graphics all of the big companies are pretty good. SSI, Spider Graphics, Fuel Graphics, etc.

For suspension, it depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

2017 YFZ450R XC Setup - O’Neal Racing, Leatt, 4Arm Strong, Engine Ice, ASV Inventions, Ryno Power, ODI Grips, AMSOIL, Sunstar Engineering, Braking, Acerbis Plastics, Kenda Tires, SCOTT, Peak Racing Products, RadicalX, FourWerx

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Coming along nicely download the Tapatalk app to post pictures
Thanks for the tip! never knew how people are able to upload hi-res photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilsbySilverado103 View Post
Looking great! For graphics all of the big companies are pretty good. SSI, Spider Graphics, Fuel Graphics, etc.

For suspension, it depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.
I will definitely be checking out some of those companies for some quality graphics. As for suspension, I don't have a set budget. I definitely want to stick with Walsh A-arm's & linkage. Thinking maybe Fox floats, Motowoz, or maybe Pep.

ODI LOCK-ON Grips Are The Best!
Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-img_4609.jpg

Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-img_4610.jpg

Mikeman902's 2014 Trail Build-img_4611.jpg
I went with the ODI rouge 120mm lock on grips. 120mm is perfect for my ProTaper handlebars, I couldn't imagine how anyone would fit 130mm grips. I originally tried ODI slip-on's but quickly threw them in the trash.

I have the Contour CR High Bend bars in blue. I love them, they are a little shorter than stock size, I can upload a comparison for anyone who is really curious. I believe ATV high bend is closest to OEM bars.

I also got ASV C6 levers in blue & orange. With these levers I am still able to keep my headlight/kill switch which I like. ATV Galaxy was a big help in getting the levers in the correct color. I'm super happy how they turned out! Big thank you to Peak Racing for supplying the clutch lever bypass switch I needed for the clutch lever! Parking brake has been deleted as well!

Walsh +1 stem & Precision Shock & Vibe clamps were also installed. I am using a JLS Stem Block for now but am waiting to get a Peak Racing one soon!

Coming Soon:

Vortex with Peak Racing mount
Rossier Exhaust
Fourwerx seat cover
Graphics
suspension??
switch wheel offset from 4+1 to 3+2?

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Forgot to mention I installed the Peak Racing Stealth Breather Box, also did 2013 cable holder mod. Couldn’t be more happy with how well it cleaned up my engine area! Glann Case Saver as well!

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 PM

Garage
I love my Floats but only after Derisi tuned them. They are a little higher maintenance though.

As for PEP or Motowoz, both are great options from what I have seen. I would check with Ken at KB Motorsports since he can probably hook you up in that department.
Mikeman902 likes this.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got around to installing my new exhaust! Went with Rossier Engineering thanks to Ken at KB Motorsport for the package deal. It sounds absolutely amazing. But definitely is loud!

I’ve been working on dialing in my Vortex tune since I installed that as well.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:06 AM

That's an interesting pattern on the fourwerx cover. Have better pics?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:16 PM

I see the bunching up by the seat latch kilroy talked about. Shee is yours like that?

‘16 Yfz450r
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeman902 View Post
Finally got around to installing my new exhaust! Went with Rossier Engineering thanks to Ken at KB Motorsport for the package deal. It sounds absolutely amazing. But definitely is loud!

I’ve been working on dialing in my Vortex tune since I installed that as well.
Im starting to like these rear tires. They look beefy in this pic.
kilroy and Mikeman902 like this.

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, Maxxis Razr Plus tires
PIN IT PIN IT STRAIGHT OFF THE SHOWROOM.

Wish list:
VORTEX ECU W/PEAK RACING MOUNT
YOSHI PIPE
PEAK RACING SWING ARM SKID

Last edited by yfzgambler; 08-29-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:31 PM

Dude the frame rust by a arms bugs me LOL. CLEAN and spray some matching 2 in one paint primer to slow down rust. It is only gonna get worse.
Mikeman902 likes this.

2018 YFZ450R SE : warning labels removed, TMD case saver, GYTR aluminum frame skid with the bracket mod, Maxxis Razr Plus tires

Wish list:
YOSHI PIPE
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:36 PM

If you just bought it grease the rear linkage and bottom rear shock bearing and sleeve since it is exposed to elements. Just did my quad yesterday and the bottom rear shock bearing not much there from factory.
Mikeman902 likes this.

Wish list:
YOSHI PIPE
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheerider11 View Post
That's an interesting pattern on the fourwerx cover. Have better pics?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Here is another angle! I original designed it to match the graphics kit I will be ordering but I might go a different route. I do like the flare it adds and the light blue goes well with orange.

Quote:
I see the bunching up by the seat latch kilroy talked about. Shee is yours like that?

I struggled for an hour to properly get the seat cover on and came to the conclusion that I was somehow doing it wrong. I do not like the fitment. I meant to re-adjust it but I haven’t had free time to mess with it. After read Kilroy’s post I wonder if it could be a manufacturer defect.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzgambler View Post
Dude the frame rust by a arms bugs me LOL. CLEAN and spray some matching 2 in one paint primer to slow down rust. It is only gonna get worse.
Haha, it has been bugging the shit out of me too. I plan to replace the a-arms over winter with Walsh so I am not too worried about it. I have already treated virtually all the rust appearing on the frame. I may coat the a-arms in POR-15 just to slow everything down like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzgambler View Post
If you just bought it grease the rear linkage and bottom rear shock bearing and sleeve since it is exposed to elements. Just did my quad yesterday and the bottom rear shock bearing not much there from factory.

I will definitely add that to my maintenance schedule, thank you for the advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page