Powder coating nerf bars - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Powder coating nerf bars

Hey guys, I was thinking about powder coating my nerf bars. Donít know which color yet but I was wondering if it will hold up? You guys think the powder coat will rub off or chip from boot rub?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 AM

Mine are powder coated black, as long as itís prepped well and cured properly it will hold up pretty well. Rocks will scrape and scratch it but you should be good.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:38 PM

I was actually going to go to bare aluminum because I think I can keep it looking nicer. I might be wrong

2019 YFZ450R SE

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:51 PM

Agree, and it totally depends on where you ride. Dirt trails or track primarily...powder coat will be just fine, it generally holds up well to that (dirt trails is what I encounter most where I ride). Rocky trails however, you are probably best polishing and/or maybe then adding a clear coat otherwise expect the bottoms of the powder coated nerfs to get a bit scratched up. But again it all depends on what you encounter and how much you care about the looks over its function. In the end, do whatever you like, all will be just fine :-)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 02:20 PM

I am not a metallurgist...but my plan is to finish with media blasting. I figure if I use more delicate media I do not believe it causes change in grain structure or anything. I think it would make a nice uniform dull grey finish that you could touch up whenever. Would seem to me far less tedious and stressful than trying to sit there and polish. When the time comes, I was going to strip the black off the bumper and grab bar. I have the RJRs. But they still look nice so no sense in doing so.

That's my plan anyway.

2019 YFZ450R SE
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

I ride mostly trails and occasionally track, where I ride trails it isnít rocky, I was more concerned for the boot rub... you bring up a good point of a clear coat. Thanks

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTavo View Post
I ride mostly trails and occasionally track, where I ride trails it isnít rocky, I was more concerned for the boot rub... you bring up a good point of a clear coat. Thanks

I donít have much issue with boot rub honestly. It may dull a bit but really doesnít scratch or chip off. Pegs yes, nerfs hardly at all. Just some food for thought, all have their advantages

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599 View Post
I am not a metallurgist...but my plan is to finish with media blasting. I figure if I use more delicate media I do not believe it causes change in grain structure or anything. I think it would make a nice uniform dull grey finish that you could touch up whenever. Would seem to me far less tedious and stressful than trying to sit there and polish. When the time comes, I was going to strip the black off the bumper and grab bar. I have the RJRs. But they still look nice so no sense in doing so.

That's my plan anyway.

I like the idea of a light media blast, never really gave that much thought. Gets scratched, pull off, blast the spot(s) and bam back to square 1. Could almost give it a casting look or brushed look which would be really cool.

If you end up going this route let us know how it turns out, Iíd definitely like to see the finished product.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engr450R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599 View Post

That's my plan anyway.

I like the idea of a light media blast, never really gave that much thought. Gets scratched, pull off, blast the spot(s) and bam back to square 1. Could almost give it a casting look or brushed look which would be really cool.

If you end up going this route let us know how it turns out, I’d definitely like to see the finished product.

And on Amazon you can get little hand held media hoppers that run on low CFMs of any basic compressor and walnut or soda at harbor freight for good price. You can touch up outside and not even pollute if no paint is there. Even still...I think powder coat non toxic and inert.

I got the hopper just haven't tried it yet. You could easily touch up while on machine too.

2019 YFZ450R SE
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:13 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page