Elka legacy’s for mx - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Elka legacy’s for mx

I’m sure this has been talked about a lot in the past but being on my phone flipping through the forums makes it tough to really search. So I am looking into getting Elka legacy’s for my 16 yfzr. I mainly do mx riding with some trail riding every now and then. How are these Elka’s for what I’m looking for? Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Noone?
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Garage
It depends on what your budget is, how hard/at what level you ride and what you are comparing to. Elka's are definitely better than stock but that's not much of a comparison. Also, are you going long travel or keeping stock?

2017 YFZ450R XC Setup - OíNeal Racing, Leatt, 4Arm Strong, Engine Ice, ASV Inventions, Ryno Power, ODI Grips, AMSOIL, Sunstar Engineering, Braking, Acerbis Plastics, Kenda Tires, SCOTT, Peak Racing Products, RadicalX

Follow me on Instagram, FB or YouTube at silsby103

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

I'm keeping the stock so no long travel for me. But I am a C class rider for now so its riding hard just now sending it like pros do. I just don't have stage 5's in my budget so I want to make sure the legacys are good enough for awhile
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:24 PM

Garage
Any shock can work great if its tuned to the way you ride. Some shocks are more forgiving then others. If you spend the time to dial in the shocks you have with a revalve and re spring they should out perform the out of the box elkas. If you trail ride you want to keep shocks with a highspeed adjustment...highspeed is your friend in areas with un-groomed rubble.
Rippinwillys likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Where Did My Signature Go...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 PM

Garage
I agree with the above. Get a highly respected suspension builder to redo the stock ones and you're likely better off and will save some cash.

I just noticed the Elka Legacy shocks don't even have a rebound adjustment on the front shocks so I would stay away from them.

2017 YFZ450R XC Setup - OíNeal Racing, Leatt, 4Arm Strong, Engine Ice, ASV Inventions, Ryno Power, ODI Grips, AMSOIL, Sunstar Engineering, Braking, Acerbis Plastics, Kenda Tires, SCOTT, Peak Racing Products, RadicalX

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM

Elka legacys really aren't much of an improvement over the stock R shocks, I'd look into getting your stock shocks re valved and re sprung if you are on a budget
Rippinwillys likes this.

2012 YFZ450R

LEVEL 4 Racing | WORCS Pro-AM

Check out my Youtube channel of racing content!
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

So I was looking around at having the stocks revalved and its only like 100$ cheaper than getting new ones. Now if I was to keep the stocks and revalve which is the best company to go with?
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM

Garage
I would still say you're better off than Elka Legacy's. I would never buy a shock with no rebound adjustment.

I have heard BNR does some great work, or Derisi, but no personal experience.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok awesome thank you for the input and help! I guess I will restart my research and see what happens. I’m sure whatever I choose will still be better than stock stock
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:20 PM

Derisi just did my rear with their linkage. Works great and if I didnít go long travel in the front I would have sent him those as well. Call them and talk with Santo.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc0812 View Post
Derisi just did my rear with their linkage. Works great and if I didn’t go long travel in the front I would have sent him those as well. Call them and talk with Santo.
Is that setup for mx? And if so is it still friendly when riding woods?
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 07:21 PM

I run elka legacys and love them. Get high speed compression, low speed compression And rebound added and quad rate springs. Then you get the exact same shocks that where the old style stage 1 through 5's. For about half the price of back then. Before the new style aluminum shocks came out.

My buddy still has my old setup on his 06 YFZ.
Rippinwillys likes this.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Monster Perf did my shocks in Jan. They are awesome for the cost. Choose any reputable shock builder to do a revalve. If you do just a revalve, its about 300. You can respring it next season when your skills advance. I'll tell you though, it's darn hard to be a better rider than these machines are capable of. They are awesome.

Ride it like your health insurance deductible has been met!
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:48 AM

Fox. Don't settle for less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

I'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck. The elkas seem great but I don't want to be limited by them and doing a complete rebuild of stock seems like a good idea but again don't want to be to limited.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzwasted View Post
I run elka legacys and love them. Get high speed compression, low speed compression And rebound added and quad rate springs. Then you get the exact same shocks that where the old style stage 1 through 5's. For about half the price of back then. Before the new style aluminum shocks came out.

My buddy still has my old setup on his 06 YFZ.

What did they charge you for the added stuff to the Elka legacy's?
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to magoo Send a message via MSN to magoo Send a message via Yahoo to magoo
I am in the process of rebuilding my 05 (Everything except engine).

I was planning on rebuilding my stock shocks, Bushings, ball joints...

After adding up replacement items I decided to go with a houser\Elka Legacy setup.

I am not done yet, but I have a good feeling about these shocks.

I know the 05 shocks where not nearly as good as the newer R's tho...

I am planing to add rebound to the fronts when I rebuild in a few years.

I will let you know what I think when I go for a ride this weekend.
kb motorsports likes this.

2005 YFZ 450
Factory 43 XC Front Bumper,ALBA Steering Stem, CCP Steering Stabilizer, Magura hydraulic clutch
Houser XC long travel A-Arms, ELKA Legacy Long travel shocks, GT Thunder XC Linkage
RP Race Intake, Baffle Taken Out/Can drilled trough
45 pilot, 188 main, 3rd clip NCVQ Needle

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippinwillys View Post
Is that setup for mx? And if so is it still friendly when riding woods?
Itís actually set up for trails but I would think that they could get them dialed in for mx as well. Like stated earlier, any reputable shock builder would get them set up great. If you think youíre gonna upgrade to a long travel set up at a later date you may want to just save your money. Buy once, cry once.
kb motorsports likes this.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to kb motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilsbySilverado103 View Post
I agree with the above. Get a highly respected suspension builder to redo the stock ones and you're likely better off and will save some cash.

I just noticed the Elka Legacy shocks don't even have a rebound adjustment on the front shocks so I would stay away from them.

The Elka's with the optional rebound adjustment is $200 more expensive, so that shouldn't be a deal breaker for most riders on a budget looking for something better than revalve factory shocks.

KB Motorsports
magoo and Nolifesigns like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page