YFZ Central banner

how much motor oil when refilling

46K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  coolcoppo 
#1 ·
hey i have a yfz40 i'm changing the oil in it. how much motor oil is needed when refilling? what weight oil is good to go with? also ive read some threads on oil and seen some using royal purple max cycle. whats a good oil to go with all the threads ive seen everyone gave different answers.

#2 ·
first of all thats why your supposed to look at your owners manual tells u everything, 1.85 L with change of filter, 10W40 or 20W50 if its real warm where u are, i run only amsoil, whatever oil you get make sure its wet clutch compatible

#3 ·
I run Amsoil also. With a filter change (which you should always replace) I have always dumped a total of 2 qts in without any problems.

#4 ·
Main thing with oil is to change oil frequently. More often than the owner's manual says. 2 qts is ok with filter change. Be sure to put quarter of a quart in engine crank case, rest in oil reservoir. 10-40 good all round. 20-50 if you race. Wet clutch compatible.

#6 ·
There is an oil pump.
And if you bought a quad that is under 2006, you might want to look in to doing an oil mod. Or checking out the J&T racing, sponsor section on this web-site, they bore your case cover put in a squirter and a high velocity pump, that comes standart after 06. Prevents your bike from blowing up in... j/k.
Acording to the manual you put 0.33 in the crank case. And 1.55 in the oil reservoir. It's ok if you do a little more.

#8 ·
you dont have to tear the motor down, just pull the right side case cover off, and the older engines arent THAT bad, there are thousands that live a long healthy life and never have an issue, but the cost of upgrading the oil system is very cheap compared to the cost of a rebuild because the wrist pin seizes, its simple, and easy insurance.

#9 ·
ive done some checking up on the j&t oil upgrade looks like you could just buy the 07 on up side case right then you don't have to do any milling or drilling to anything just have to replace the oil pump right? what about aftermarket side cases ive been looking into getting an aftermarket anodized clutch case or polished case does any of them have this upgrade done to them or would you need to do the mod on these cases also?

#13 ·
no one makes an aftermarket case cover, just the clutch cover for "bling" effect,

as for purple... i havent seen one, but you can take any old billet cover and have it anodized yourself if you want it purple, save up all your parts and have them all done together the same color.

#15 ·
no one makes an aftermarket case cover, just the clutch cover for "bling" effect,

as for purple... i havent seen one, but you can take any old billet cover and have it anodized yourself if you want it purple, save up all your parts and have them all done together the same color.

how easy is this to do and what all is involved? ive seen the kits before but didnt give it much thought into doing it myself. i figured i'd get alot better results sending the parts away to get anodized or buying ones already done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.