Clutch Replacement - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 4thStroke Send a message via MSN to 4thStroke

I just ordered 9 new fibers, 8 plates, gasket, and the springs to upgrade to the YZF clutch.

Question is: Can the clutch be replaced without any special tools? Whats all involved?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

You'll need a torque wrench for sure, but basic tools for the rest. Make sure you soak your fibers in USED oil over night before installing. A trick the Pros use is to slightly scuff the metal plates on both sides in a swirling pattern on an abrasive surface before installation. Begin and end with a fiber of course, and that's the jist of it. Make sure you read the step by step in your manual before hand....it'll mention things I didn't point out...like using a criss cross or star pattern when loosening and retightening your springs.

My cult-like following is now accepting applications
fartndust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Dan. I knew the fibers were to be soaked in oil before, but I did not know it was supposed to be used, thanks for pointing that out. Sounds pretty straight forward. Ive heard of the scuffing before, too, but thanks for the reminder.

A guy I talked to said that sometimes a clutch nut remover is needed, but he was a Honda tech., and has no clue what the inside of a Yamaha looks like. Thats why I was asking if there were any special tools needed.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thStroke@Sep 9 2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks Dan. I knew the fibers were to be soaked in oil before, but I did not know it was supposed to be used, thanks for pointing that out. Sounds pretty straight forward. Ive heard of the scuffing before, too, but thanks for the reminder.

A guy I talked to said that sometimes a clutch nut remover is needed, but he was a Honda tech., and has no clue what the inside of a Yamaha looks like. Thats why I was asking if there were any special tools needed.
[snapback]482145[/snapback]
that is only if you want to remove the basket, which you dont need to do if your doing what your doing

fartndust, whats the reasoning behind the using used oil to soak the fibres
YFZ450 #69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

You know I'm not sure why "they" say to use the old oil for soaking the fibers...it has something to do with preventing glazing or the fibers or some kinda krap. I'll search around and see if I can find an answer....be back shortly, maybe?

EDIT: I just checked out 2 different "How To's" and each has a different take:
one says to presoak the plates in used oil in a sandwich bag while you take out the parts you will be replacing.
the other says to use a small dish and fill with enough fresh oil to cover the fiber, and then to place each fiber in the dish being sure to completely cover the fiber just before installing.

My guess is that the purpose of the presoak is to make sure you get complete oil saturation over the entire surface of the fiber before installing and torque take place. The old oil will be slightly broke down with contaminants and heat so it may or may not penetrate the fiber better...I can't say because I'm just guessing here. It may be the old skool method I was taught years ago because back then and even now I'm so damn cheap. I've never tried the new oil approach, and I don't use oil that is nasty, so it may not make a difference...might just be a matter of used is waste anyway...hmmmm
I soak the fibers in used oil overnight and have had no problems, but that's just me, it doesn't mean it's the only way.

Anybody want to chime in?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Anyone happen to have a service manual on hand? PM me.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I installed the 8 fibers, and 7 plates. Im assuming you need the whole YZF clutch assembly to run the 9 fibers, because the clutch would not engage when I had all 9 fibers in there.

Took a fiber and plate out and it worked, but not like I was hoping.

Do these clutches need time to break in? With normal lever play, it would not disengage. I had to tighten it up a lot (an abnormal amount) to get the clutch to disengage.

Should I just adjust the clutch play according to clutch engagement and disengagement, or should i stick to rule of thumb and leave a penny's width of slack (at least)?

The fibers were soaked in oil over night (9 hours) and I scuffed the new plates lightely.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

soak them in oil for sure but im not sure about used oil never heard that one i always use fresh oil for the soak and be careful what you scuf the steels with you could do more harm then good maybe a scotch brite pad never done that before and make sure the sharp edges of the steel plates face away from the motor good luck
Old 09-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to K_Fulk

Quote:
I installed the 8 fibers, and 7 plates. Im assuming you need the whole YZF clutch assembly to run the 9 fibers, because the clutch would not engage when I had all 9 fibers in there.

[/b]
You need to move your clutch arm back 1 notch.
K_Fulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

^Thats it?!

Sweet.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

So how'd the clutch rebuild work out in the end?
I talked to my Pop about the "used" oil VS fresh, since he's the one who taught me years ago. He said back in the "day" they soaked 'em in used oil bacause money was tight. Didn't want to waste the good stuff if they didn't have to. Claims they used phone book covers for gasket material as well. That if they wanted to clean up the surface of the head they would swirl it around on the sidewalk to polish off a couple of thousandths. That's what he said....damn. That is cheap.
So the used oil is certainly not the best method, just the cheapest (no wonder I'm such a tightwad )

Old 09-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to K_Fulk

Quote:
^Thats it?!

Sweet.
[/b]

Worked for me.
K_Fulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement