Weep Hole Question (i.e. Underneath Engine) - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Is coolant suppose to leak through the Weep Hole, which is a small pin size hole underneath the engine? Only a small amount of coolant leaked through the hole. The dealership where i bought my quad, when i told them about this acted like it was a big deal and said you must bring it in immediately. This is the same dealership that charged me $250 to look at my valves, phucking ripoff. Another dealership nearby said that it is normal for coolant to leak through the weep hole. Who should i believe? My coolant level in resovoir tank is in the middle level.
Thanks
atvrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

A little bit of both. It shouldn't leak but it wont hurt if it does, BUT if you don't let the coolant get to low, it will blow the engine.

And for the dealer that said $250 to look at the valves they are retarded
Yamaha YFZ 450- Blingstar Front Bumper, Duncan Fat Boy 4, Kenda Klaw MXF, Kenda Klaw MXR tires, AC Racing Nerfs, AC Racing Grab Bar, Cam Mod, Uni Air Filter, PRM Skid Plate, Magic Racing E-Z pull Clutch Arm, Pro Design Case Saver.

Yamaha YZ250F-coming soon!
YFZ rider #8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

does everyone else agree that a small amount of coolant can leak through the weep hole, and it is no big deal? My ripoff dealership says it needs to get repaired ASAP. Dont know what to think.
Thanks
atvrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to theyfz450guy

my guess is that anything leaking from anywhere aint no good.

I AM WAY FAST WHITEY.
VANCOUVER, WA.

"THERE'S ALWAY'S TIME TO DO IT TWICE.
NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO IT RIGHT!"
theyfz450guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

If it is leaking, it will only get worse. Leaks don't get better. Why wait to fix it and risk cookin' your engine. Fix it now and then you don't need to worry about it getting low on coolant.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

It should be repaired. No more than an hour labor and about $12.00 for parts. Sounds like you should find a differant shop to do the repair though. If it's not under warranty it doesn't have to be a dealer. Good Luck .

Zippy
yfzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to VEGA

Mine did the same at first, and then i would find a little puddle of antifreeze on the pavement. Asked about it and the dealer said that I needed to rebuild my coolant pump, the rep said that the kit consited of a couple of gaskets and a bearing. Think he said i was like 70 bucks for the kit.!!
45, 170 ncvq#4, air screw at 3.(BLEW UP SEP 06)
VEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to WoodyArthur

I know this is old but hope it helps. I read on other forums that the impeller and a couple of seals are known to go bad on the YFZ water pump....The symptoms are that a small amount of coolant leaks out the weep hole.

When I took mine in to the dealership... they found that the impeller had even failed.
So to answer your question... yes fix it!!! it might mean that you water pump is not working.....i.e. you could over heat! not good.

Mine was covered under warranty, but I don't think it should be much, that person that posted it would cost $70 to fix- the dealer is probably charging $60/hr for labor!
I only took mine into the dealer cause I bought that extended 3yr warranty just for crap just like this.

Woody
168 main
NVCQ #4 (I know seems too rich)
45 pilot
1.5 fuel screw

Oregon Dunes/Tillamook State forest
WoodyArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WoodyArthur@Oct 28 2004, 08:05 AM

Mine was covered under warranty, but I don't think it should be much, that person that posted it would cost $70 to fix- the dealer is probably charging $60/hr for labor!
Actually for the complete setup it is around $60-70.

Outer Oil seal
Inner Oil seal
Bearing
Impeller shaft
Side case Gasket

As for an imediate fix, just the Outer Oil Seal, about $6-7 and not more than 30mins of your time..
Old 10-29-2004, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

GET IT FIXED... the coolant systems dont hold that much fluid. I junked the head on mine cuz of the same problem. my water pump didnt leak a drop and during a gncc race the seals and impeller shaft failed and leaked out all my water. causing the quad to overheat and crack my head. ie..front right corner where the head bolt goes down through. I know of 4 other yfz's that have done the same exact thing and cracked in the same spot. NEW HEAD 600 dollars WATERPUMP rebuild 60 dollars......
04 yfz450 w/r K&K flame graphics, Moose fattys, frame S/A A-arm skids, side frame guards, MP vortec twist, AC push & grab bar, razor up front All Trac on rear, Hi Pers all around, HMF slip-on, DG pro-peg nerfs and still building, all thanks to Mike @ Instigator racing
yfz450dist.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement