YFZ oil upgrade? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default YFZ oil upgrade?

hello again,

today my big question is about the 2004-2006 oil nozzle/pump upgrade, i know that yamaha splash design is shit but in all honesty do i really need to spend to nearly 200$ to get a 2007 nozzle machined into my case? i havent had any problems so far and cant i just buy a 2007 case with it already in there from the factory

sorry about all the questions i just had this on my mind for a while so just please let me know what you guys/girls think about this topic
Redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can do it for alot less if your mechanically inclined at all. Search for oil mod on here. There is a really informative thread that shows good pics and great detail on exactly how to do it. It will cost you roughly $25 and some time.

07 Ballance Bike< ArsFx +0.5 A-arms, ArsFx Pro Series Swinger & Linkage, EXIT 2 Shocks, ArsFx +2 antivibe stem, Fasst Flexx Bars, Houser Bounce Nerfs, Precision Pro Stabalizer, Quad Tech Hump Seat, E-Sticky Graphics, ATP Head, Rekluse Z-Start Pro, Motoworks SR4 G2

05 YFZ Practice Bike< ArsFx +0.5 A-Arms, ArsFx +2 antivibe stem, Precision Pro Stabalizer, Fasst Flexx Bars, Houser Bounce Nerfs, Motoworks SR4 G2, Ohlins Ballance Shocks, ArsFX linkage.....
SuperCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

u can buy the 07 side cover with the squirter in it allready but the $200 kit comes with a higher flowing oil pump too. so thats why i did the 200 kit
jchampion99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can buy a 07 case and do it. Thats what I did, but then I got the case and it turns out it wasnt a 07 and didnt have the mod. I had daddio machine mine for pretty cheap. I ended up with like 180 in it total so it was a littl cheaper but alot more work and shipping.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

x2 on what supercrew is saying.. thats what i did,and i havent had a problem with it..
Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrew View Post
You can do it for alot less if your mechanically inclined at all. Search for oil mod on here. There is a really informative thread that shows good pics and great detail on exactly how to do it. It will cost you roughly $25 and some time.
could you possibly post a link to that thread because i cant find it
Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here ya go man Oil Mod Completed

07 Ballance Bike< ArsFx +0.5 A-arms, ArsFx Pro Series Swinger & Linkage, EXIT 2 Shocks, ArsFx +2 antivibe stem, Fasst Flexx Bars, Houser Bounce Nerfs, Precision Pro Stabalizer, Quad Tech Hump Seat, E-Sticky Graphics, ATP Head, Rekluse Z-Start Pro, Motoworks SR4 G2

05 YFZ Practice Bike< ArsFx +0.5 A-Arms, ArsFx +2 antivibe stem, Precision Pro Stabalizer, Fasst Flexx Bars, Houser Bounce Nerfs, Motoworks SR4 G2, Ohlins Ballance Shocks, ArsFX linkage.....
SuperCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrew View Post
Here ya go man Oil Mod Completed
ohh wow this was very helpful!! thank you alot!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Oil

This is a better way to go. Diy Clutch Cover Oil Squirter Upgrade You'll need the 07 oil pump and I'd recommend a new case cover gasket. I did mine with a Dremel and a six pack of Blue Moon. With this method you dont have to split the case. Nozzle, oil pump, gasket, beer, and coolant total was $140ish. Took me about two hours total time. Good luck.
hdodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm new.. so allow me to sound like an idiot... I've been browsing around or 'lurking'... and I notice this 'oil mod' is to prevent failure to the motor due to a poor design of the delivery system is this correct???

If this system is so poor, why was it designed this way, and still functional?? I am looking at buying an 04-05 YFZ.. a friend of mine has an 06 that he bought new, and its bad ass... I just moved to the country again so I can get a bike, he has NEVER rebuilt his motor, and its 100% stock.. seems to work fine IMO... So I'm curious about this "poor design".

How often are people doing oil changes, and actually cleaning the pickup filter inside the oil tank as well?? My buddies gets damn filty and he cleans it out ever second oil change which is about every 12-14 hours... This would get clogged and restrict flow enough to cause failure correct?? Due to clutch dust and so fourth??

I'm just looking for info, it seems unnessary to do the 'oil mod' based on what I know about these bikes, and what I've seen longevity wise, however we don't run in REAL hot temps (25 degree's celius maybe) and no sand dunes or real muddy conditions.. would any of that make a difference??
DwnDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Police Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnDak View Post
I'm new.. so allow me to sound like an idiot... I've been browsing around or 'lurking'... and I notice this 'oil mod' is to prevent failure to the motor due to a poor design of the delivery system is this correct???

If this system is so poor, why was it designed this way, and still functional?? I am looking at buying an 04-05 YFZ.. a friend of mine has an 06 that he bought new, and its bad ass... I just moved to the country again so I can get a bike, he has NEVER rebuilt his motor, and its 100% stock.. seems to work fine IMO... So I'm curious about this "poor design".

How often are people doing oil changes, and actually cleaning the pickup filter inside the oil tank as well?? My buddies gets damn filty and he cleans it out ever second oil change which is about every 12-14 hours... This would get clogged and restrict flow enough to cause failure correct?? Due to clutch dust and so fourth??

I'm just looking for info, it seems unnessary to do the 'oil mod' based on what I know about these bikes, and what I've seen longevity wise, however we don't run in REAL hot temps (25 degree's celius maybe) and no sand dunes or real muddy conditions.. would any of that make a difference??

ya its a poor setup. the "splash" design works well on motor that hold oil in them. the yfz holds the oil in the tank in front of the motor so there isnt any oil to "splash" around

some motors last a long time some dont. kind of depends on riding stile i think. the problem is that the oil dosnt get to the wrist pin on the piston and causes it to get hot and gall

not sure why they designed it this way but after the first few years they did fix it, so it must have been a problem. I like the oil mod better where you drill the cases because on the bigger motor setups the squirter can hit the piston and cause issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement