How to rebuild front shocks? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to rebuild front shocks?

Me and a few buddies who ride, all great mechanics. Are curious how to rebuild shocks. Currently have a pair of dual rate yfz front shocks off my 05 and could use a freshen up. So how hard is it to tear them down, throw in seals and fresh oil throw them together and recharge them? Have my guy that does them for $30.00 a shock plus seals. But does a lot of traveling and isn't always there for a quick service.

I will never try my triple rate axis, but like my stock yfz shocks and the works off my lt250r. Which he just serviced. Got me thinking can't be too hard, big thing would be the amount of oil and psi of the nitrogen. So what is process of taking a stock yfz shock apart throwing in seals and oil and reassembly. I'm not out anything buy trying, seem to have better chance selling my dual rate springs then a pair of shocks that are about due for a service. Or am I better off spending the $100 to have them done.
1991 Suzuki Lt250r. Hot rods, weiseco piston. SORE racing porting and head work. Keihen taper bored carb. Dyno Port Pipe and can. works triple rate rezzys. Custom valved rear. Itp quad cross rubber. Graydon nerfs. Prm grabs.... FOR SALE(5-29-12)
Motocrazy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get them redone don't sell they are pretty good for stock
Old 05-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

They are already rebuilt by DeRisi valved and dual rate springs. But they could use a fluid change and new seals, I no longer have a use as sold the arms and have LT on it now. I was wondering how hard it is to rebuild them and the process oil amount and nitrogen charge have access to everything I should need
1991 Suzuki Lt250r. Hot rods, weiseco piston. SORE racing porting and head work. Keihen taper bored carb. Dyno Port Pipe and can. works triple rate rezzys. Custom valved rear. Itp quad cross rubber. Graydon nerfs. Prm grabs.... FOR SALE(5-29-12)
Motocrazy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Police Patrol

Think their how to around here somewhere if u search.

YfzMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
The BOSS

Here's one on rebuilding the shocks off a newer R. Should be a similar process.

Yamaha YFZ450R-X Stock shock service / Oil change / Rebuild
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I started with a set of custom axis for my first shock rebuilds.They have a whole PDF file on rebuilding step by step on the web site.The rebuild,new seals,fluid and charging them was so simple I can't belive I paid anybody to do it before.I found a nitrogen charging system,tank,gauges,hoses for less than $200 shipped by luck and nobody bid on it.Good luck and just be clean and make sure there is NO moisture in them before assembly.
TCR adjustable exhaust,QC Porting,Falicon balanced crank,Oil mod,HC piston,Qs3,Dynatek cdi,K&N proflow/outerwear,Precision Pro stabilizer,+2 ars/fx stem,Rekluse clutch,Precision shock&vibe,custom Axis,Beadlocks/razr2's,XC dominator axle,14/38 gearing and (Fall/winter jetting)170,45pj,ncvq 3rd,2-1/2 turns.Blingstar & GT skids and Ars/fx xc arms
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement