Shift Shaft Seal..A must to replace? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pbsandman7
Default Shift Shaft Seal..A must to replace?

Ok here's my scenario. 06 motor that I'm doing a complete rebuild on, top to bottom. I have already assembled the bottom end completely but realized after the fact that I might have been a tard for NOT replacing the shift shaft seal. It has never leaked and this is the first time the cases have been apart. I am debating pulling it back apart and replacing the seal for "piece of mind" sake but can't quite make up my mind.

I have had some friends tell me, they would do it if it was theirs and others have said that they have never replaced one in their motor....

At this point it wouldn't cost me anything more than the seal, a lock washer or 3 and some time. I'll be waiting on my cylinder for probably another couple weeks from JSR so I do have a little time..... but it is kind of a pain and the ass to split the cases completely for 1 seal.

What would you guys do?

How often does that seal leak?

WR 513cc 65hp Super Duner
pbsandman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

To replace that seal, just take the shifter off and poke the seal with a pick and pry it out. Then slide the new seal in. Put lithanium grease on the shaft to make it slippery. You can use a deep socket to push it in the case.
No need to take the motor out or dissasemble it.
Mechanic ITP & WORCS Pro #191
Daddio19@Gmail.com
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Seriously..? Do you have to take the shift shaft out or can I just remove the actual shift lever?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

man this is a relief... I kept reading this and that about replacing the seal on a rebuild while you are in there and have the cases aparts.. etc etc. So i assumed it need to be split.
I feel like a tard but am happy that it will only take about 10mins vs most of a day. ppfffeeww.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes just pull the shaft out then pick the seal out, install new seal, then install shift shaft..
Also you can put a loop of electrical tape over the shift shaft splinds to avoid damaging the seal.
04 YFZ. WR crank, MMAD 14.25 piston, CW 98mm, KW ss Valves, KW spring, Velocity head, YZF cams, GYTR Kickstart, Dyna FS, Nology coil, Rossier exhaust, Tusk clutch, FCI intake, Boyesen quickshot R&D fuel screw .
Elka triple rate front & back, Houser +2 arms, +1 swinger & +2 stem, G-force axle, Streamline lines, wave rotors, AC nerfs, IMS pegs, douglas beadlocks, MXR6 tires, Pro taper bars, ASV levers, Gibson stablizer, MP twist.
lbyfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've done it before without removing the shift shaft. In fact, it was between motos at a race, so it doesn't take long.
I also bought one of those cheap "seal pick" kits they sell at the auto parts store.
Mechanic ITP & WORCS Pro #191
Daddio19@Gmail.com
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement