Newbie- Oil Level Check - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie- Oil Level Check

Hey guys, newbie here from Virginia. Just bought an 06 yesterday and had some questions about a few things. I don't exactly know what principles the oil system works off of or how it does. Is it considered a dry sump or wet sump? What would be the proper way to check the oil level? Is it just a pull ur dipstick in ur external tank, or is there a warmup process and check it with engine running? Any comments are helpful also as to what type / brand of oil you guys are running. Thanks for the input.

Mark
YFZ12E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

To check the oil level you simply pull the dip stick from the external tank mounted in the front. I cant say i ever check mine as i change my oil every 2 hrs. But when i change in i let it warm up then drain it then add a quart to the tank and a bit to the crank case and start it to let the engine suck the oil in. Then i add more to the tank and check the level. All in all i use almost 2 qts everytime i change it. I never fill the tank to full, just a little less than full on the dip stick.
xcquad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcquad03 View Post
To check the oil level you simply pull the dip stick from the external tank mounted in the front. I cant say i ever check mine as i change my oil every 2 hrs. But when i change in i let it warm up then drain it then add a quart to the tank and a bit to the crank case and start it to let the engine suck the oil in. Then i add more to the tank and check the level. All in all i use almost 2 qts everytime i change it. I never fill the tank to full, just a little less than full on the dip stick.
K thanks for the info. What brand do you use, synthetic, non synthetic?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

u have to run the bike before checking the oil. when the bike sits it runs in to the motor so run it a few min then shut it off and check it.
  • 95' GMC suburban (green)
young'syfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Kool, dry sump system I guess. Thanks for the input. Do the clutches share the same lubrication, do I need to add friction modifiers, not add friction modifiers? What's everyone doing about ethanol in the fuel? Are there certain additives we need to use or not use?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes its a dry sump, the clutch, tranny, everything shares the same oil, so dont add friction modifiers,
dont know what you mean about the fuel, just run premium if its a stock motor and youll be ok!
and for oil, top of the line is amsoil, but its too expensive IMO,
belray thumper is good,
alot of people use Rotella T synthetic deisel oil, its cheap, works great..... you could use that, being so cheap you can change your oil often without going broke!
04 YFZ. WR crank, MMAD 14.25 piston, CW 98mm, KW ss Valves, KW spring, Velocity head, YZF cams, GYTR Kickstart, Dyna FS, Nology coil, Rossier exhaust, Tusk clutch, FCI intake, Boyesen quickshot R&D fuel screw .
Elka triple rate front & back, Houser +2 arms, +1 swinger & +2 stem, G-force axle, Streamline lines, wave rotors, AC nerfs, IMS pegs, douglas beadlocks, MXR6 tires, Pro taper bars, ASV levers, Gibson stablizer, MP twist.
lbyfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

use a motorcycle grade oil or Rotella
riggsracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to quadatic20 Send a message via Yahoo to quadatic20

KLOTZ MX 10/40 (Full Synthetic)... 10oz in crank and 44oz in the oil tank... 54oz total oil needed.

$11.50 a quart and well worth it if you race and want to take care of your engine.

We are loaded when is the next trip????

Last edited by quadatic20; 12-16-2010 at 07:45 PM.
quadatic20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

do not screw your dip stick in when you check it...

start the quad, let it run for 15-30 seconds... shut it down. unscrew the stick, wipe it clean, and set it flush with the top of the oil tank. dont screw it in. then check the level.
leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. Didn't know if the ethanol in fuel is causing anyone problems with carbs / etc. I bought yamalube oil this time around for the first change but next time Ill try something different. Any advice on where to buy the foam air filters? I guess they're wash / reuseable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement