06 YFZ450 Water in oil! Please help! - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450



Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450
 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Angry 06 YFZ450 Water in oil! Please help!

I just bought an 06 YFZ450. Ran great. Took it home and serviced. Drained oil and it was milky with antifreez in it! Called guy and he said he just had all gaskets replaced and new clutch. Took it to mechanic friend of mine and he pulled the top end apart. Found divits in the piston and head. looks like the engine lost a rod at one point and only parts were replace that had to be. Installed new top end and all gaskets. Still is getting water in oil. Replace O-ring in clutch assy and cover gasket. Still is getting water in oil! He is at a loss in what to check next. Everything is tight and no external leaks anywhere. Lots of power. One other thing is bothering me, at high revs getting a little of water puking out the water bottle over flow tube? Dont know if this has anything to do with it. Is it possible that the water pump is going bad? Would that have anything to do with water getting in the oil? Any suggestions on what to look at next would be appreciated. Thanks!
Willgrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Anti POPO
 
manny530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: northern cali
Posts: 1,197
Default

sounds like you need to get the head resurfaced cause your gaskets are not sealing properly
__________________
"tech-less" lol

manny530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jchampion99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: jonesville, michigan
Posts: 268
Default

it could be the inner seal for the water pump but like manny530 said it might need the head resurfaced.
jchampion99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Default

All you need to do is change the inner and outer waterpump seals as well as the impeller shaft (35 bucks)... Very common problem with these, dont feel bad i forgot about it too.. sorry you tore it down.

Ray
Clutch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Clutch123 - Where is the water pump located? How hard is this to do?
Willgrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
pbsandman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sleepin' in a tree fort
Posts: 2,839
Send a message via AIM to pbsandman7
Default

nope nope nope... I'd be willing to guarantee you have a blown head gasket. It sounds nothing like a water pump issue. You have 2 MAJOR signs of a blown head gasket, heres why..
#1 Having a coolant/oil mixture is a pretty obvious indicator that it is blown especially if you have replaced the other seals. The surface of the head to cylinder has to be spot on to seal 100%. This is why its crutial to mill and true your head prior to reassembly. You most likely have a high or low spot which is causing it to blow and allow pressure into your coolant system.... #2 hence the coolant spewing out your overflow tube.

Id be willing to bet that the previous guy didn't true the head which is why you quickly encountered this problem.

If you had a water pump issue and those seals where bad you would be leaking coolant out the weep hole which is by the water pump housing.. right side case by your foot.

You need to pull the head off again.. unfortunately and mill the head. I'd also have your cylinder tested to make sure it isn't out of round.

A little while ago my head gasket blew.... coolant was spewing out the rear tube from excessive cylinder pressure entering the water jackets. Milled the head, put an O-ring groove in my cylinder for added durability.. Problem solved!
__________________
MMADness I tell you!!

WR 513cc 67hp Super Duner
pbsandman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks for all the input. I already ordered the new water pump seals and impellor shaft so I will throw those in and give it a whirl. At least I know if that doesnt solve the problem then I will have to tear it down again and revisit the head and cylinder.
Willgrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
pbsandman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sleepin' in a tree fort
Posts: 2,839
Send a message via AIM to pbsandman7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willgrizzle View Post
Thanks for all the input. I already ordered the new water pump seals and impellor shaft so I will throw those in and give it a whirl. At least I know if that doesnt solve the problem then I will have to tear it down again and revisit the head and cylinder.

I hate to be the devil here and say it but that is not going to solve your problem. Save yourself the time because that is a completely separate issue. Leaking coolant out the overflow bottle is strictly caused by a blown head gasket. What happens is you get a leak through the gasket due to an uneven surface which allows cylinder pressure... especially at high rpms to push into the water jackets of the cylinder. This creates a lot of pressure internally which then pushes the coolant out the rear because it has no where else to go.
Trust us dude... save yourself the time and effort here of replacing your water pump seals. you NEED to pull your head off and have it machined.


The water pump issue is this... On your right side you have the water pump housing which has the shaft, impeller, seals..etc. Underneath is a hole..called a weep hole. Some just have a hole, some have a 1/4" tube that runs to the rear off of this location. It is at the base of your frame by your right foot when standing on the quad. That is where you will leak coolant if your water pump seals are bad. NOT by the overflow bottle.

I am attempting to save you the biggest hassle and a LOT of time.
__________________
MMADness I tell you!!

WR 513cc 67hp Super Duner
pbsandman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
iam_canadian22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: northern ontario
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsandman7 View Post
I hate to be the devil here and say it but that is not going to solve your problem. Save yourself the time because that is a completely separate issue. Leaking coolant out the overflow bottle is strictly caused by a blown head gasket. What happens is you get a leak through the gasket due to an uneven surface which allows cylinder pressure... especially at high rpms to push into the water jackets of the cylinder. This creates a lot of pressure internally which then pushes the coolant out the rear because it has no where else to go.
Trust us dude... save yourself the time and effort here of replacing your water pump seals. you NEED to pull your head off and have it machined.


The water pump issue is this... On your right side you have the water pump housing which has the shaft, impeller, seals..etc. Underneath is a hole..called a weep hole. Some just have a hole, some have a 1/4" tube that runs to the rear off of this location. It is at the base of your frame by your right foot when standing on the quad. That is where you will leak coolant if your water pump seals are bad. NOT by the overflow bottle.

I am attempting to save you the biggest hassle and a LOT of time.
x2, its a head-head gasket issue, save yourself some trouble pull it apart now, dont change the water pump seals and run it to see if it fixes it it wont, and the coolant goin in the motor is doin a number on it
__________________
2010 YFZ 450 R SE sold
-jsr exhaust, msd, mmad port, mmad warpspeed intake cam, 12.4:1 CP piston, fci with box, holeshot GNCC's
13 RAM sport
- plasti dipped badges, 14"maggy, goodyear duratracs, led light bar, tow hooks
iam_canadian22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
coolcoppo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 151
Default

pbsandman7 is right on the money It's not the pump seal's. Combustion pressures in the cooling system= head gasket.
coolcoppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Anti POPO
 
manny530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: northern cali
Posts: 1,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoppo View Post
pbsandman7 is right on the money It's not the pump seal's. Combustion pressures in the cooling system= head gasket.
pbsandman7 is right??? i told him this a whole day earlier than him lol like others have said dont waste your time with the water pump cause its not your problem but might as well change the seals since u already bought them dont we all wish it could be the simple fixes instead of the complicated ones
__________________
"tech-less" lol

manny530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
pbsandman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sleepin' in a tree fort
Posts: 2,839
Send a message via AIM to pbsandman7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny530 View Post
pbsandman7 is right??? i told him this a whole day earlier than him lol like others have said dont waste your time with the water pump cause its not your problem but might as well change the seals since u already bought them dont we all wish it could be the simple fixes instead of the complicated ones

LOL... Yup you did specify it first. You should have elaborated a little more because it looks like he didn't believe you.. haha. You were the only one who specified it, which is why I jumped in to elaborate on the subject as to how this happens. For what ever reason people started specifying a water pump issue which is why I said... nope nope nope.. etc etc. you have other problems!

Unfortunately this isn't a "quick" fix but should definately cure the problem at hand.
__________________
MMADness I tell you!!

WR 513cc 67hp Super Duner
pbsandman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
coolcoppo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 151
Default

LOL sorry Manny530 no need to hostile you were right
__________________

Go big or go home.
FCI, No lid
Rossier Full Exhaust
Cyl works 478cc BB
Serdi Valve Job
Boyesen QS3 with zip tie mod
Boyesen High flow water pump
J&T oil mod
Hot rods HD crank
MSR idle A/F screw
NCVQ neddle 4th clip 162 main 48 pilot
12:1 Vertex
Black ITP wheels with ITP GNCC's
Lonestar +3 axle
Protaper bars
Pro armor nerf bars, bumper and grab bar
coolcoppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Anti POPO
 
manny530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: northern cali
Posts: 1,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsandman7 View Post
LOL... Yup you did specify it first. You should have elaborated a little more because it looks like he didn't believe you.. haha. You were the only one who specified it, which is why I jumped in to elaborate on the subject as to how this happens. For what ever reason people started specifying a water pump issue which is why I said... nope nope nope.. etc etc. you have other problems!

Unfortunately this isn't a "quick" fix but should definately cure the problem at hand.
lol yeah not big on explaining things in detail u did a good job in explaining it for him very nicly done

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoppo View Post
LOL sorry Manny530 no need to hostile you were right
not hostile was just messin around
__________________
"tech-less" lol

manny530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
YFZCentral.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on YFZCentral.com is generated by its users and YFZCentral.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.