Symptoms Of A Blown Head Gasket? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

What would the symptoms be of a blown headgasket? Its not blow to the outside, but my bike overheats and blows the plug out of my coolant bottle.
Brandon Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

have you recently done any work on the top end when i put mine back together once i did not get it torked to the specs and it did the same thing but if you have not done any top end work then i would say your head casket is bad
jchampion99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

We just switched bottom ends on this motor after a busted case. So we were into everything. What was the specs fo the head bolts??
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to yaidunno Send a message via MSN to yaidunno Send a message via Yahoo to yaidunno

22ft lbs (i believe?), back off. 14 ft lbs. then 2 incriments of 90*. it should also be done in the proper sequence.

you've got the symptoms of a failing head gasket.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

I will have it torn down tonight, and order a new gasket in the morning. This yfz has been a problem child since I picked it up .
Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

QUOTE (Brandon Wallace @ Mar 29 2010, 06:56 PM)
Quote:
I will have it torn down tonight, and order a new gasket in the morning. This yfz has been a problem child since I picked it up .[/b]
If your having so mush problems with it by the good yamaha book...I think its like 50.00 bucks .....Well if u dont know whats going on and your fixing things stuff going to brake..... Save your self the headache and take it to a shop.....
dayneseditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is the 4th yfz we have built(all with no problems), this one just is a turd. Stupid things seem to happen to it. Last month the gear that turns the oil pump broke and it was holding all of the oil in the motor. I noticed that it spit some oil out of the overflow like it was overfull, took the oil line off and it wasent pumping any oil. We figured the pump just went out, but on the way in we seen that the gear had broke and 1/4 of it was gone lol. After fixing it , we flushed the motor and changed the oil a few times. Good as new. NOW, it starts this crap. Oh well, I have a back up bike.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jstalnaker70

must be a 04 with lots of hours.,.. lol
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

lol Nope this one is a 06 , and honestly dosent have that many hrs on it. I picked it up last year to help out a buddy that lost his job. Looks like im the one that needs the help now haha. I also have 2 05's, both of them have been great bikes, I couldent ask for anything more from them.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

QUOTE (Brandon Wallace @ Mar 29 2010, 04:31 PM)
Quote:
lol Nope this one is a 06 , and honestly dosent have that many hrs on it. I picked it up last year to help out a buddy that lost his job. Looks like im the one that needs the help now haha. I also have 2 05's, both of them have been great bikes, I couldent ask for anything more from them.[/b]
Your head may be warped. I'm having an issue right now with a friends bike. Dam thing will not keep the coolant in her.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Police Patrol

QUOTE (Brandon Wallace @ Mar 29 2010, 04:03 PM)
Quote:
What would the symptoms be of a blown headgasket? Its not blow to the outside, but my bike overheats and blows the plug out of my coolant bottle.[/b]

that is the symptom. Take the head to a good machine shop and have them mill the head a little bit. They have a tendance to warp right over the exh. and when you put them back together it pushes the gasket out. Once you mill it it never really seams to have the prob any more.

I had a friend who had an oil pum gear do the same thing but that was because when he put the side case on one of the dowel pins fell inside the motor.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

QUOTE (Brandon Wallace @ Mar 29 2010, 03:03 PM)
Quote:
What would the symptoms be of a blown headgasket? Its not blow to the outside, but my bike overheats and blows the plug out of my coolant bottle.[/b]
Use new head bolts, not the old ones, when putting her back together. The Yama bolts are designed to stretch when torqued so they won't re-fit and the gasket can develop a leak.
Also, yur if this is on one of yur 3 mils, u might wanna have the head 0-ringed as a counter measure to the higher compression on the head gasket.
Good luck.
Florence Oregon YAMAHA/POLARIS. DIRECT DRIVE CNC (Clutch Lock Out). X BRAND.com (rad goggles!) .ONE Industries/SixSixOne/Tag Metals. K&N Powersports/K&N Filters. MOTOSPORT.com (on-line superstore!)
SPECTRO-OILS

raceya-97439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yea, It is my XC bike. Its a 3mm with a 12.5 piston. From what I gather thats close to 13/1 compression. How do I go about getting my head O-ringed?? I don't think I have herd of that b4.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pbsandman7

QUOTE (raceya-97439 @ Apr 2 2010, 11:11 PM)
Quote:
Use new head bolts, not the old ones, when putting her back together. The Yama bolts are designed to stretch when torqued so they won't re-fit and the gasket can develop a leak.
Also, yur if this is on one of yur 3 mils, u might wanna have the head 0-ringed as a counter measure to the higher compression on the head gasket.
Good luck.[/b]
I've heard about the "o-ring"... are you referring to directly cutting a few thousandths of a groove around the head/cylinder to install an o-ring? Which then adds a little pressure and sets the head gasket more thoroughly?

My engine builder did this on a 104mm bore LTR and the head gasket held strong. Recommended me do it on my YFZ.

WR 513cc 67hp Super Duner
pbsandman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

QUOTE (Brandon Wallace @ Apr 3 2010, 09:49 AM)
Quote:
Yea, It is my XC bike. Its a 3mm with a 12.5 piston. From what I gather thats close to 13/1 compression. How do I go about getting my head O-ringed?? I don't think I have herd of that b4.[/b]
It's got to be done by a qualified machine shop. REDLINE Racing here in Oregon did mine. I can suggest others too if u want. Cost is under $100, depending on yur geography.
Florence Oregon YAMAHA/POLARIS. DIRECT DRIVE CNC (Clutch Lock Out). X BRAND.com (rad goggles!) .ONE Industries/SixSixOne/Tag Metals. K&N Powersports/K&N Filters. MOTOSPORT.com (on-line superstore!)
SPECTRO-OILS

raceya-97439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pbsandman7

That is what you are referring to though right? Cutting a groove around the head which will in turn set the head gasket more thoroughly? My tech was telling me about it and it sounded like a sweet idea. He stated its the cure for blown head gaskets when running HC big bore setups.

WR 513cc 67hp Super Duner
pbsandman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Police Patrol

Its not a bad idea to have it o-ringed. Although i have had no problem with my last motor making 74hp on spray. Also my curent motor making 60hp+ with out on o-ring. As ling as you have flat head and cylinder you shoud have no problem
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

It has took me a little to get to taking my head off, but after doing so today nothing really stuck out about the gasket. I guess I will put her back together with the new gasket and see what happnes.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Police Patrol

QUOTE (Brandon Wallace @ Apr 4 2010, 07:52 PM)
Quote:
It has took me a little to get to taking my head off, but after doing so today nothing really stuck out about the gasket. I guess I will put her back together with the new gasket and see what happnes.[/b]
spend $20 and get the head milled, might be sorry if you dont
Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

QUOTE (climb-101 @ Apr 5 2010, 08:34 AM)
Quote:
spend $20 and get the head milled, might be sorry if you dont[/b]
the Yamaha service manual also says to re-surface by simply wet-sanding ON A SURFACE PLATE with 400 to 600 grit wet sandpaper. If you only need a thousandth of an inch it won't take long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement