2006 Yfz450 Oil Problems? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

hey guys im looking to get a 2006 yfz450 and i was reading up on them and found that they had some lubrication problems. it only said that people the were making race bikes out of them where having the problems with it but im not sure so can somebody help?
i only ride trails and farm fields and a little of track but very little.
andrew.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

the problem with the 06 and older bikes was lack of lubrication to the wrist pin (the thing that holds the piston to the connecting rod). 07 and new have a little "nozzle" that squirts oil at the bottom of the piston, where the 06 and olders do not, and rely on the crank and vobration to kick up oil to lube the wrist pin, which usually happens sufficiently. for about $200 you can have the "oil mod" done to your 06 or older to have the exact same effect as the 07 and newers do. hope that answered everything.
2007 YFZ450 Red/Gray - DMC Afterburner Comp full system - Pro Design Pro Flow intake and air filter - CP 12.75:1 piston - port work by Outlaw Innovations - Stage 2 HotCams - EHS Racing airbox lid - AC racing blackline nerfs - TAG metals black bumper - bent accelerator pump spring - Adjustable Fuel screw - Maxxis RAZRs all around - 15/38 gears

Joester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

2004 to 2006 have the oil problem. its not just race bikes. I have a 2005 that yes i did race but was all stock and i just lost the lower rod bearing the upper was about to go as well. J & T can fix the problem for a little over $200. i have seen bearing go on bike with 10 hours and ones with 90 hours. there is no telling when it will happen. do the upgrade and spend the 200.00 it is a lot better than being where i am at spending 1500.00.
wildbill88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

QUOTE (wildbill88 @ Oct 23 2009, 06:59 PM)
Quote:
2004 to 2006 have the oil problem. its not just race bikes. I have a 2005 that yes i did race but was all stock and i just lost the lower rod bearing the upper was about to go as well. J & T can fix the problem for a little over $200. i have seen bearing go on bike with 10 hours and ones with 90 hours. there is no telling when it will happen. do the upgrade and spend the 200.00 it is a lot better than being where i am at spending 1500.00.[/b]
Wildbill know better than most how important the oil upgrade is. I am sure he would have rather spent the $1500.00 on the update and a bunch of hi performance parts instead of replacing all the parts he had to after the rod failure.

www.jtatv.com

Todd
sabrecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Police Patrol

do a search for "oil mod" on the sight. you will get tons of info about it. I also think there is a pinned topic on it that shows how to do it all. The prob with doing the "nozzle" that goes into the side case is the it hit the piston on some of the aftermarket ones. you either have to notch the piston or file down the "nozzle" to get it to clear. I would just drill the 2 holes and add the o-ring. Its a lot cheaper and you don't have to worry about hitting the piston and both ways get the job done.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

The piston will only hit the nozzle on some big bore pistons and stroked cranks.
Mechanic ITP & WORCS Pro #191
Daddio19@Gmail.com
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (climb-101 @ Oct 24 2009, 09:55 PM)
Quote:
do a search for "oil mod" on the sight. you will get tons of info about it. I also think there is a pinned topic on it that shows how to do it all. The prob with doing the "nozzle" that goes into the side case is the it hit the piston on some of the aftermarket ones. you either have to notch the piston or file down the "nozzle" to get it to clear. I would just drill the 2 holes and add the o-ring. Its a lot cheaper and you don't have to worry about hitting the piston and both ways get the job done.[/b]
The oil mod does not work as well as Yamaha upgraded design. I have talked to many owners that had rod failures after the mod was done. I have talked to hundreds of owners over the past years and have leared alot about this problem. The mod is alot cheaper, but alot more work and if it takes a crap later your out alot of money.

Todd
sabrecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Police Patrol

QUOTE (sabrecat @ Oct 25 2009, 05:15 PM)
Quote:
The oil mod does not work as well as Yamaha upgraded design. I have talked to many owners that had rod failures after the mod was done. I have talked to hundreds of owners over the past years and have leared alot about this problem. The mod is alot cheaper, but alot more work and if it takes a crap later your out alot of money.

Todd[/b]

we have 5 quads running the oil mod and have yet to have a problem

DADDO is right on the stroker setup is the one that hits. I know the CP pistons hits. we have had to modify two quads because of this

Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

i think some just get lucky. i know people with 04s and 05s with hundreds of hours with no failures. My stock 04 engine definatly has over 200 hours and it is still holding up without the oil mod. Stock wrist pin looked brand new.
yfz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement