High Idle @ Times - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My 2005 YFZ will start and idle fine (thank goodness, it's been almost 18 months and a lot of $$$ to get it back together). It'll idle fine till I revv it up a little, then it gets stuck at high idle. We thought that it was the slide sticking, so we took the carb off of the air box and the cylinder, and tried to get the slide stuck by pumping the throttle. The slide wouldn't get stuck anywhere, moved smooth as butter. I took the top cap off of the carb anyway and doused it with carb cleaner while working the throttle back and fourth.

I put everything back together, and it still idles high as soon as I give it some throttle, if I leave it alone, it's fine till I stop again, then it idles high. The only way to get it to not idle high like that is to put it in gear, and let the clutch out slowly, then pull it back in after it starts to roll a little bit. Then it idles low like it should, till I go for a ride and stop, or revv the motor a little bit.

My friend that was helping me turned the black spoked screw on the back of the carb when we were trying to get the thing started. I'm wondering if that isn't my problem. Should I get it started, let it idle high, and mess with that mixture screw till the idle kicks back down?
Hot Rods Stroker Crank
Wiseco 13.5:1 High Compression Piston
Trail Tech +2oz flywheel
Hot Cams Exhaust Cam
GYTR Kick Start w/1997 YZ 250 Kick Start Lever
White Bros. First Generation E-Series Slip-On Exhaust
Gibson Steering Stabilizer
Razr MX tires all around

So much motor on my hands, so little time to smoke my friends!
kccaroYFZ450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

thats funny, cuz my 06 does the exact same thing...can someone shed some light on this, its kinda annoying...
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
One

A friend had the same problem. We checked everything from the throttle cable to making sure the carb slide wasn't sticking....no problems. Guessing I adjusted her idle (the black spoked knob your friend adjusted on yours) and the problem went away. I turned it in and then turned it back out...hasn't done it since.

"Live as if you were to die tommorow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -Ghandi
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Black knob is the idle. In (clockwise) is higher rpm, and out (counterclockwise) in lower rpm. YFZs do come with a pretty low idle stock so if u remember how it was keep it a little higher than that.
c_olive18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
myk

Sometimes bumping up the pilot jet a size will cure this.

Mike
Old 01-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tierney

if you doused it in carb cleaner pull it back apart and check to see if the rubber gasket in there is messed. A buddy of mine just did that to mine and it ruined that little gasket. Its 7 bucks to get a new one...
tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I took a carb to a buddy to get cleaned. He had a bucket of stuff, no clue what it was called, but he told me I had to take it completely apart, because it would eat all the rubber gaskets and stuff in it. Just a thought for when you use some carb cleaner.
Crower Victory Cam
FCI intake
+3 STROKER
42mm carb
RT-5 Full System
Thanks to Diesel at PDR and Ken at KB Motorsports
whiteclipse16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement