Blew Seal Behind Sprocket - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile

Yeah so as it says, i blew a seal. I was riding at my house and i noticed my 450 was gettin sluggish.. so i checked the oil and there was almost no oil on the dipstick! So i start investigating and notice its coming from behind my sprocket. Whats bothers me is why would that seal go out? I keep my 450 clean! i mean this weekend there was no dirt or anything on it except for the oil that slung everywhere. I called the dealer Tuesday. They told me to jusst bring it up because i have the factory extended warenty. Ill try to get some pictures of the seal but its hard because of were its at. Do you guys think that pressure washing this would cause the seal to go out? because i use low presssure, I also use engine degreaser to clean that sprockets off like every 2 washes. I wana know if i caused it or you think its just sprocket failure. But i hope i didnt toast my motor! Even if its covered under warenty Its gunna suck.. :( But hopefuly this dealer does alot better then the dealer i bought it from did.. I took it in when i first bought it cuz it wouldnt start, and it took them 3 weeks to figure it out.
Wish me luck that i still have a good motor!

Lance
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to jdthomas24

Quote:
Yeah so as it says, i blew a seal. I was riding at my house and i noticed my 450 was gettin sluggish.. so i checked the oil and there was almost no oil on the dipstick! So i start investigating and notice its coming from behind my sprocket. Whats bothers me is why would that seal go out? I keep my 450 clean! i mean this weekend there was no dirt or anything on it except for the oil that slung everywhere. I called the dealer Tuesday. They told me to jusst bring it up because i have the factory extended warenty. Ill try to get some pictures of the seal but its hard because of were its at. Do you guys think that pressure washing this would cause the seal to go out? because i use low presssure, I also use engine degreaser to clean that sprockets off like every 2 washes. I wana know if i caused it or you think its just sprocket failure. But i hope i didnt toast my motor! Even if its covered under warenty Its gunna suck.. :( But hopefuly this dealer does alot better then the dealer i bought it from did.. I took it in when i first bought it cuz it wouldnt start, and it took them 3 weeks to figure it out.
Wish me luck that i still have a good motor!

Lance[/b]
COMMON PROBLEM ON THE EARLIER YFZ'S BUT NOT UNHEARD OF ON NEW ONES, THAT SEALS TAKES ALOT OF BEATING AND BANGING AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN DAMAGED ON INSTALL, NEVER KNOW, DONT WORRY ABOUT THE POWER WASHERING THING, AS LONG AS YOU CANT GET RIGHT ON IT , IT WILL BE OK, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.
as far as the sluggish thing goes, the damage may already be done, if you get performance issues on low oil, then that means friction has built up heat, and heat is your engines worst nightmare. If its under warranty i would stress the motor part and hope for a new motor because if you ran with little oil at those RPM's you have likly caused internal damage,,good luck and let us know.
Fox Dcs shocks, Lonestar Dc4 Arms,Burgard Stem and Subrame, Hiper's with razrs all around, Elka dual rate rear, houser XC and LT linkage,Carb Mod, Cam Mod,K-Fab radiator spill tank and propegs with hellguards, Gusset frame,Rossier full exhaust ,GYTR frame skid and swinger 2 piece skid,K&N filter with outerwear,AC bumper, PRM grab bar,LSR axle with honda sprocket hub, flexxbars, 250R throttle, WR kit,
jdthomas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement