Cylinder Head Installing, Torque ? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

OK I need a little help here:

In the Yamaha YFZ450 Service Manual under “Cylinder Head Installing” it says

Tighten the cylinder head bolts to 22 ft. lb in the proper tightening sequence, remove and retighten the cylinder head bolts to 14 ft lbs in the proper tightening sequence, and then tighten the cylinder head bolts further in two steps of 90 degree to reach specified angle of 180 degree in the proper tightening sequence.

I understand setting the gasket and all. but on the 2nd time do i torque to 14 ftlbs and then Mark the cylinder and bolt and tighten each bolt 90degs and then tighten another 90degs thus giving me 180degs. it is very confusing to me the way the manual says it so i just want to check.

2nd thing I have a new Napa evercraft Torque wrench cost me around $60. is there anyone else using these? just want to know how reliable they are and how accruarte they are. A few of my friend have like $280 snap on and mac but i just don't have any extra cash to get them, will i be fine with what i got?

any help soon would be great.

Brandon

Special thanks to my 2007 Sponsors: Obermeyer Yamaha, JPMX, SIMX Racing, Powermadd, Kars Trailers, Pitstop Auto/truck parts, Cardio Stack, Scott USA, LoneStar Racing, Liquid Performance, ASV Inventions, Streamline Brakes, Rath Racing, Elka Suspension, EVS, FMF, Blingstar, Mom, Dad, and Family [b]
Welpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
One

Quote:
Tighten the cylinder head bolts to 22 ft. lb in the proper tightening sequence, remove and retighten the cylinder head bolts to 14 ft lbs in the proper tightening sequence, and then tighten the cylinder head bolts further in two steps of 90 degree to reach specified angle of 180 degree in the proper tightening sequence.

I understand setting the gasket and all. but on the 2nd time do i torque to 14 ftlbs and then Mark the cylinder and bolt and tighten each bolt 90degs and then tighten another 90degs thus giving me 180degs. it is very confusing to me the way the manual says it so i just want to check.[/b]
Yes...mark the bolts after the 14 ft/lb torque sequence and then in two steps reach 180 from the mark on the bolts. It also says to use some sort of lubrication on the cylinder bolt threads and washers.

You used new bolts and gaskets right? The cylider bolts are TTY (torque to yield) bolts and stretch when they're tightened. One time use only. Some people reuse them but.......

"Live as if you were to die tommorow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -Ghandi
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

ok great thanks for the help.

yeah i searched and read about the tty bolts. just wanted to claify on the 90deg bit.

any body have any infor on the torque wrench deal?

Special thanks to my 2007 Sponsors: Obermeyer Yamaha, JPMX, SIMX Racing, Powermadd, Kars Trailers, Pitstop Auto/truck parts, Cardio Stack, Scott USA, LoneStar Racing, Liquid Performance, ASV Inventions, Streamline Brakes, Rath Racing, Elka Suspension, EVS, FMF, Blingstar, Mom, Dad, and Family [b]
Welpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement