The Sweet Smell - Page 2 - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by green blaster@Jul 30 2006, 03:49 PM
every time i go to a track theres always 3-4 guys that have exhaust that has a really good sweet smell... what is it lol. i wanna find what ever it is that smells like that and get it, im just afraid i would smell it to much and die from carbon monoxide(sP?)
[snapback]461986[/snapback]

methanol
chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Toadz450

Quote:
Originally posted by demon450+Jul 31 2006, 01:35 PM-->
Quote:
i agree. the purpose of running race fuel is to prevent detonation in a modified engine, when you run high compression, pump gas {93 oct} will actually ignite and burn faster than race fuel. thus, the gas will ignite before the piston is at tdc. race fuel takes longer to burn, so it will ignite at the same time, but explode untill the engine is at tdc.* i may be wrong on some small points in there, but thats the general idea.
[snapback]462395[/snapback]
[/b]
Race fuel has a higher flash point, meaning it takes more heat/compression to ignite it. The higher the octane the cooler it will burn.

<!--QuoteBegin-DLRPLATE
@Jul 31 2006, 01:57 PM
running higher octane will actually slow you down unless you have the compression or timming to burn it. Alot of people believe that running race fuel will make them faster not true. You can run oxygenated, nitro, or alky fuels to make more power.* Low octane burns hotter and slower, high octane fast and cooler thus lower cylinder temps stopping predetonation.
[snapback]462408[/snapback]
Low octane actually burns faster than high octane, you got those parts switched around.
When you run oxygenated or any of those other types of fuel you need to compensate with your ignition and fuel system set up otherwise you can cause some serious problems. It's recommended not to run any of those fuels on a stock system set up, usually have to custom set up your engine to run on those fuels. Oxygenated just means there is more oxygen in the fuel, which is also known as AV fuel and contains higher amounts of lead. It is not recommended to run AV fuel in your engine unless you are at a very high altitude. AV fuel (oxygenated) compensates for the lack of oxygen in the air at higher altitudes, so if you're running it at lower altitudes it is highly recommended you rejet for the fuel (richer jetting).

http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com Attention Post Whores
Toadz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gtilley45 Send a message via Yahoo to gtilley45

Toadz450 - I agree with you for the most part. I didn't mean to sound like and @ss. I agree with you that it won't make a HUGE difference in engine life and running leaded is not an excuse to skimp on maintenance. I just disagree that it is a waste in a stock motor, I think it helps a little. There are a couple reasons I still run race gas. 1) My CRF has a 13.5:1 compression ratio. And 2) This past December I put the WR crank in my YFZ. When we tore the motor down, my buddy that helped me do it and everyone who saw my engine went on and on about how good all the parts looked to have been running MX for 2 years. I was amazed at how well everything looked, it all looked brand new. Because if this, I am running (and will continue to run) the same fuel, oil, coolant, etc., etc. that I ran in my YFZ. If my CRF is as reliable and runs as well as my YFZ did, I'll gladly pay a little more for fuel and oil. Just my opinion.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Probably U4. It has a very distinct smell. Either you love it or hate it.
Z28ROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Toadz450

Quote:
Originally posted by gtilley45@Jul 31 2006, 07:55 PM
Toadz450 - I agree with you for the most part.* I didn't mean to sound like and @ss.* I agree with you that it won't make a HUGE difference in engine life and running leaded is not an excuse to skimp on maintenance.* I just disagree that it is a waste in a stock motor, I think it helps a little.* There are a couple reasons I still run race gas.* 1)* My CRF has a 13.5:1 compression ratio.* And 2)* This past December I put the WR crank in my YFZ.* When we tore the motor down, my buddy that helped me do it and everyone who saw my engine went on and on about how good all the parts looked to have been running MX for 2 years.* I was amazed at how well everything looked, it all looked brand new.* Because if this, I am running (and will continue to run) the same fuel, oil, coolant, etc., etc. that I ran in my YFZ.* If my CRF is as reliable and runs as well as my YFZ did, I'll gladly pay a little more for fuel and oil.* Just my opinion.
[snapback]462614[/snapback]
It's no problem, everyone has their different opinion. What kind of oil are you running? If anything it's going to be your oil that is making the biggest difference in engine life and the shape of your parts (besides the top of your piston, that all depends on your fuel, compression, and ignition). Like I said, it really is a waste to spend all that money on race fuel running a stock engine (In a CRF with 13.5:1 compression I could see running a mix to stay on the safe side and the WR is a higher compression than the stock YFZ isn't it?). The lead will help lubricate and cushion the valves so that could also play a small role in keeping your top end looking fresh. You must have a good running set up if your engine looked great and there were no extra deposits of lead, which leads me to think that you probably do need to run race gas.

http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com Attention Post Whores
Toadz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Z28ROC@Jul 31 2006, 05:47 PM
Probably U4. It has a very distinct smell. Either you love it or hate it.
[snapback]462630[/snapback]
Yea i bet it was U4. I love the smell of it. Pricey though
Old 08-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Toadz450 After re reading you are right my mistake on burn rates. but I disagree with you oxygenated fuels or nitropropane additives. Alot of people run or (cheat) with oxygenated fuels. They have additives you can add to fuel that I have ran on dynos and produced alot of hp. True you must adjust jets if you are running alot of it. But needless to say it gives gains to stock motors.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to theo_s

Quote:
Originally posted by green blaster@Jul 31 2006, 03:49 AM
every time i go to a track theres always 3-4 guys that have exhaust that has a really good sweet smell... what is it lol. i wanna find what ever it is that smells like that and get it, im just afraid i would smell it to much and die from carbon monoxide(sP?)
i know exactly what smell ur talkin abt. its either nitrous, nitro additives, or the methanol. ive got one of those nitro r/c cars, and it smeels the same. the fuel it uses is nitro-methane......so it could most likely b those 2.
theo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by green blaster@Jul 30 2006, 03:49 PM
Alcohol is the only fuel I know of that has a "sweet" smell to it. Two-strokes smell different depending on what oil you use, but the sweet smell is from alky. Is their exhaust white?

2006 Banshee - 612cc Big Block Twister, HS Customs Chromoly Hillshooter Frame, ALL the goodies. 152hp

2004 Raptor - R6 Engine, +3+1 a-arms, +14 swingarm, +4 axle, Elka Comp series front and rear

BigRed350x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to quadracer420

the inside of my exhaust has a grey/white on the inside of my pipe and alls i run is turbo blue, nothing added

Quote:
1.2 Nf *
*Newton Feet
to measure this accurataly you need a man named newton to kick the cap from distance of 1.2 feet
quadracer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gtilley45 Send a message via Yahoo to gtilley45

Yeah, turbo blue is leaded isn't it?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by green blaster@Jul 30 2006, 06:49 PM

lol must be a newB to racing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement