Countershaft Sprocket Seal - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just wondering if anyone has changed the seal around countershaft sprocket? If you have did you have to split the cases? It sure looks like it the manual! I sure hope not! Any help would be great.

Would it be OK to ride this weekend without fixing it? It doesn't leek real bad, but it is noticable. Just check the oil often i guess. Its an automatic chain lubber!!!
silver636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to HarryPNis Send a message via Yahoo to HarryPNis

I only had about 3 rides on my new YFZ when something decided to jump up into my seal and screw it up. Mine was pretty bad, I had oil everywhere. Took me forever to clean up.

Anyways, you don't have to split the cases to put a new seal in. I took a flathead screwdriver, placed it on the outside of the seal, and hit it with hammer. That way the metal rim around the outside of the seal bent in, and gave me room to get a screwdriver in behind it and pry the seal out. Or you could use pliers to try to grab it and yank it out. Just be careful not to damage the case around the seal. Then, to put in the new seal, I took a socket that was the same size as the outside of the seall, and tapped it in until it was flush with the case. Pretty easy fix, and doesn't take too long.

2006 MX YFZ 450 --- #8
Tag 2 CR Hi bend bars
w/ Tag 1 1/8" bar clamp
Blue/Silver Powermadd handguards
LSR Axcaliber Axle
Sparks Exhaust
Cam Mod
Rath Racing Graphics
More on the way...
HarryPNis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by silver636@Jun 6 2006, 05:44 PM
Just wondering if anyone has changed the seal around countershaft sprocket? If you have did you have to split the cases? It sure looks like it the manual! I sure hope not! * Any help would be great.

Would it be OK to ride this weekend without fixing it? It doesn't leek real bad, but it is noticable. Just check the oil often i guess. Its an automatic chain lubber!!!
[snapback]436288[/snapback]
for a quick fix, i would squirt some marvel mystery oil on it. it will swell the seal as to help it seal better. if my memory serves me correct i think you can get away with pulling the seal from the outside....but i could be wrong. pull off your sprocket and look. if you can see the seal, you should be able to pull it out and slap the new one on.

06 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel.
488 HP/ 976 FtLbs
pooperscouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sweet!!!!! Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Pulled the seal out no prblem!!
Can't get parts till Saturday!!
Weekend trip to Silver Lake is shot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement