YFZ Central banner

08 yfz not asure

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  badassmachinist 
#1 ·
my question is the quad runs fine until i pin it it seems to be either hitting off the rev limiter or clutch slipping. when i am just putting around it runs good i can run through all gears no problem so that leads me not to think of the clutch. like i said when i am putting around and decide to pinn it it will get up and move then when i change gears and and keep it pinned thats where i have the problems and help would be nice thanks

#2 ·
Could be a jetting issue, did it just start or has it been a problem?

#5 ·
took it out this afternoon got it to around 20 mph and had it in 5 gear then pinned it. it revved up and still doing the same thing. then i tried just easing into the throttle and it ran fine it just happens when i decide to pin the throttle. i also tried one more thing had it in 3rd gear running at the top of the gear then let off the throttle then pinned it did the same thing then i eased into the throttle and it worked fine. that leave me to think its a jetting issue. it has stock jets and air box lid on
thanks for all the help

#10 ·
OK i will try to explain whats going on. the quad runs fine when i ease into the throttle it will go through all gears with no problems. the problems happens when i pin the throttle what happens it will rev up and i will not pick up the speed and it will sound like its slipping that only happens when i pin the throttle. the post from above suggested that i get the quad to about 15 mph then click 5th i tried that and it did the same thing. then i tried the 15 mph then clicked into 5 and eased into it and it ran fine it just happens when i pin the throttle. the history on the quad its a 2008 everything stock the guy i bought it from only rode it twice he was afraid of it so it sat in his garage until i bought it. when i got it home i changed the oil and filter and cleaned the carburetor out via the bottom float bowl removed both jets and cleaned them up so the quad is a 2008 with very little riding time on it

#11 · (Edited)
Ok that's the clutch, under light throttle the clutch can can still grab.. Under full throttle its slipping... I would put a clutch kit in, change the oil ( make sure for wet clutch), and just because, pull you carb off and clean everything spotless, I'm pretty sure it's just your clutch going.. When buying used just assume nothing was done correctly

#15 ·
Replaced the clutch today after work. i laid it on its side and replaced it with a Tusk clutch with new springs. after i got it all put it back together i noticed there was no clutch pull. can this be adjusted or did i miss something? i did soak the new clutch for 24 hours torqued the new springs to 69.9 inch pounds
thanks for all the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.