06 yfz locked up sometimes.... - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 54
06 yfz locked up sometimes....

Ok so last weekend i had a xc race i checked all the fluids and they were good then i got about a half a lap in and it started over heating i just thought it was mud in the radiator so i was gonna finish that lap, when i saw the light i stopped to let it cool down, then i went till the light went on and stopped then the next time it died and it would crank very slowly, and then it stopped, i was thinking the crank seized so i got home and i was like why not see if it starts and it started right up then it ran for 30 seconds and locked up. So i washed everything. Then i checked the coolant and it was half empty! If the water pump took a shit could that lock up the motor, I haven't had time to drain the oil to see if it is milky or if there is metal but it didn't look milky on the dipstick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tallon Hamm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 54
Edit: it does not have the oil mod to my knowledge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tallon Hamm is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Rickybobby1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallon Hamm View Post
Ok so last weekend i had a xc race i checked all the fluids and they were good then i got about a half a lap in and it started over heating i just thought it was mud in the radiator so i was gonna finish that lap, when i saw the light i stopped to let it cool down, then i went till the light went on and stopped then the next time it died and it would crank very slowly, and then it stopped, i was thinking the crank seized so i got home and i was like why not see if it starts and it started right up then it ran for 30 seconds and locked up. So i washed everything. Then i checked the coolant and it was half empty! If the water pump took a shit could that lock up the motor, I haven't had time to drain the oil to see if it is milky or if there is metal but it didn't look milky on the dipstick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To answer your question, yes heat will seize an engine. Now as to what damage there might be we would be just guessing until you opened it up. Low coolant could have easily done it in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rickybobby1 is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
yfz450jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,115
crank is probably shot....cools down and will turn on but once it warms up it seizes

OI 480


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yfz450jr is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 54
I pulled my filter out and it had metal shavings not enough that i could see until i cut the filter apart, So I pulled apart my top end and nothing was unusually worn, cylinder still looked good rod and crank spun fine, had a little play but not much. Im confused would the motor shut off if the coolant is low?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tallon Hamm is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Rickybobby1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallon Hamm View Post
I pulled my filter out and it had metal shavings not enough that i could see until i cut the filter apart, So I pulled apart my top end and nothing was unusually worn, cylinder still looked good rod and crank spun fine, had a little play but not much. Im confused would the motor shut off if the coolant is low?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Being that it is an 06 I'm almost positive that there aren't any fail safes for overheating besides the light itself. You might have the cams seizing up. That's where heat usually kills a motor is in the heads. Bearings might not be falling apart, but they may have become misshapen due to the heat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rickybobby1 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 54
The came bearings/ journals (whatever they are called) looked fine no scoring


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tallon Hamm is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Rickybobby1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallon Hamm View Post
The came bearings/ journals (whatever they are called) looked fine no scoring


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No warp? The slightest warp will play hell


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rickybobby1 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 54
The were all smooth looks just as good as when I adjusted before valves for the race


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tallon Hamm is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Rickybobby1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallon Hamm View Post
The were all smooth looks just as good as when I adjusted before valves for the race


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hmm... when you say locking up could you turn it over by hand?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rickybobby1 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Rickybobby1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybobby1 View Post
Hmm... when you say locking up could you turn it over by hand?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Also if you haven't yet, I would pulled the jug/cylinder and piston. I would check the crank over, check the piston and rings, wrist pin, and such. This is stumping me not being there to put an eye on it. But from you first post it worries me something is wrong inside of this motor. You could also check the starter out and bearings associated with it. Something has failed I'm just not sure what.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rickybobby1 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 54
I'll see if i have time to get pictures of everything tonight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tallon Hamm is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 54


So i was completely oblivious to this the other night when i took it apart, so it definitely is my crank


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tallon Hamm is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM
Senior Member
 
yfz450jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,115
told ya

OI 480


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yfz450jr is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Sheerider11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,763
That's how a crank comes stock
That's a brand new oem crank. So don't let the heat marks fool you.
But this is the exact issue I had with my R and it was the crank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sheerider11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome