YFZ Central banner

Big Bore kit first?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  YFZMan2010 
#1 ·
Hey guys I want to know what engine mod to go with first. I have an 07 yfz with intake, full dasa exhaust, and the basic cam mod.

I've seen a lot of people add a big bore kit first but also a large amount who do hot cams first. I don't know if its a budget decision or if one is better to do first than the other so just looking for some direction.

#2 ·
First thing I would do is have the head ported. Best gains are from proper porting. Ain't NO way I'm doing cams first on the YFZ. Stock cams are too good, especially on a stock head.

When it comes time to get cams (and it may not...) I'd look at several factors before choosing.

I'd also be very selective in what I did to the motor in the sense that each mod could be built upon by the next mod. That way all the pieces fit or compliment each other. Nothing to be gained by going big on cams if the head can't flow (better to be "over ported" than "over cammed").

Reactions: kilroy
#4 ·
I prefer a good port job over a BB kit to keep as reliable as possible, plus a good port job will really add noticeable power. Since you have a great exhaust by Dasa, maybe add a Dasa port job, done on a CNC machine so it's perfect every time. PM me if you are interested in pricing.

#5 ·
I have to side with immortal. All the magic is in the head work. A head that is ported to maximize power over the entire power band rather than peak numbers is ideal. I'd rather stick to a stock bore and stroke and a good pump gas piston with a touch more compression with a nicely matched head for max power under the curve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.