05 yfz bad head gasket?? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 05 yfz bad head gasket??

So my 05 yfz was smoking more than my buddies diesel truck and i tore it down to find coolant in my oil. Everything looked fine until my head gasket. what i wanted to know is that if anyone else has noticed that in their head gasket the holes for the coolant to flow through are not fully cut out for a few spots. Is that normal?? i believe this is a tusk head gasket that i used. oh and all my head bolts were torqued down to spec on the last rebuild, i only ran for maybe 5 hrs before this happened. thanks for any help.
Sparks pipe, pro taper bars, 18" turf tamers on douglas beadlocks, 21" holeshot fronts, ims front bumper, ac grabbar, d.i.d x-ring chain, shaved fenders, pro flo/ k&n filter (depending on mood), pro design filter adapter, no lid, 170 main, 50 pilot, 4th clip, 20" razrs, black ac pro peg nerf bars

04 YFZ 450- sold

97 Blaster-
hot pink frame, new top end, dg pipe
yfzrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes the holes are normal. Use oem gaskets and youll have better luck. remember tho the head bolts are one time use. So buy new ones if your having issues. although Ive heard of people using them more than once and being fine. $16 isnt worth the risk IMO
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Police Patrol

Send a message via MSN to husker525 Send a message via Yahoo to husker525

^^X2
TEAM TRIGGER RACING (Now sponsored by AMSOIL, Vickery Motorsports, MotoXNutrition,DZ Graphics, Engine Ice, DeRisi Racing, Team Ape, Cosworth Pistons, Hiper, Lonestar Racing. Barker Exhausts Terse 07 Race engine
2007 Blue YFZ: Venom 14:1 piston, Cam Mod, Jardine RT4 Exhaust, 175 main, 45 pilot, 04 needle 3rd clip/ 3 t 2013 YFZR....
Become a fan of Team Trigger Racing on Facebook!!! Some people surround themselves with smoke and mirrors, I prefer to use VooDoo !!!
husker525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

So what happens to the head bolts when you reuse them? Do they stretch a little or something or do they weaken?
#77 York Racing
2005 HONDA TRX450R
Huge thanks to: TC Racing Engines, McNett Performance Suspensions, Kona Kustom Designz, AXO Racing, Atlas Brace Technologies, Pro Armor, Braking, Steel MX Optics, Fatal Clothing, Factory Backing, NOW Energy, Kalgard Pertro Products, Duro Tire, Boyesen, Renthal, Equalibryum.
On the road to recovery!!!
'05 YFZ Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Police Patrol

Send a message via MSN to husker525 Send a message via Yahoo to husker525

It is only recommended to replace the head bolts. I have reused them several times, with no problems, on any of my quads. Theoretically, they could stretch, causing you to get inaccurate torque settings. Did you make sure that your head and cylinder mating surfaces were very clean?
TEAM TRIGGER RACING (Now sponsored by AMSOIL, Vickery Motorsports, MotoXNutrition,DZ Graphics, Engine Ice, DeRisi Racing, Team Ape, Cosworth Pistons, Hiper, Lonestar Racing. Barker Exhausts Terse 07 Race engine
2007 Blue YFZ: Venom 14:1 piston, Cam Mod, Jardine RT4 Exhaust, 175 main, 45 pilot, 04 needle 3rd clip/ 3 t 2013 YFZR....
Become a fan of Team Trigger Racing on Facebook!!! Some people surround themselves with smoke and mirrors, I prefer to use VooDoo !!!
husker525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

ya everything was clean. and thanks for the info. im trying to upload a pic of this gasket to see if anyone can tell me if it is the same...what i meant was that some of the holes on my gasket were not as big as the holes my coolant moves through. if that helps explain it a bit better. does that still sound like it was correct? once i upload a pic ill post it of the gasket.
Sparks pipe, pro taper bars, 18" turf tamers on douglas beadlocks, 21" holeshot fronts, ims front bumper, ac grabbar, d.i.d x-ring chain, shaved fenders, pro flo/ k&n filter (depending on mood), pro design filter adapter, no lid, 170 main, 50 pilot, 4th clip, 20" razrs, black ac pro peg nerf bars

04 YFZ 450- sold

97 Blaster-
Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=047.jpg

04 YFZ 450- sold

97 Blaster-

Last edited by yfzrdr; 11-23-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

^^sorry i just failed at posting the picture. tell me if it doesnt work.. and thanks again for the help.

04 YFZ 450- sold

97 Blaster-
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Is blowing head gaskets common of the new 450 engines?

I have owned 4-stroke quads and dirt bikes my whole life and beat them senseless without mercy and yet never had a blown head gasket on all of them. Never even heard of it happening on a 2 stroker yet either in all my years 24+ years of riding!!

Are blown head gaskets a common occurrence of these engines?
Quad_Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement