Iridium spark plug vs Factory spark plug?? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Iridium spark plug vs Factory spark plug??

Has anybody tried the Iridium spark plug and does it hold up any better, or having better luck with it than the stock one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

Thanks
2007 YFZ 450 Special Edition - Stock Engine, Cam Mod, GYTR K&N Filter & GYTR outerwear in Factory air box w/lid removed(some day an FCI), Jet Kit, Full HMF Performance Series Pipe (Gutted, just end cap and packing), AC Pro Peg Nerfs (getting repainted), Pro Taper 1 1/8" bars -
- Dyno Tune'd by PCP Offroad
http://www.pcpoffroad.com/index.html
MrSmartJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd just stick to the stock CR8E if I were you. You wont see much difference out of changing to iridium. As for holding up longer I think the Iridium's actually foul out easier but dont quote me on that.
funyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funyun View Post
I'd just stick to the stock CR8E if I were you. You wont see much difference out of changing to iridium. As for holding up longer I think the Iridium's actually foul out easier but dont quote me on that.
My main idea was I live at 1200' elevation and I ride in Flagstaff, Az Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument Cinders elevation from 7000 to 8000' elevation so was wondering if it would hold up better to constantly changing elevations and atmospheres?

Here is some info I found for Denso Iridium plugs and it sounded really good, but still am wondering if anybody has had any luck with them yet?

Q. What makes Iridium better?
A.
Until recently, platinum was considered the best material to use on the top of an electrode because of its durability. However, Iridium is 6 times harder, 8 times stronger, and has a melting point 1200 degrees higher than platinum. Put that into a harsh environment such as an engine piston chamber, and you have a spark plug that can resist wear much better than platinum. Additionally, the DENSO Iridium Power alloy is so durable; it allowed our engineers to produce the world’s smallest center electrode (.4mm) which reduces the voltage requirements, concentrating its sparking power. Also, its smaller size, combined with the tapered U-Groove ground electrode, allows more room for the flame kernel to develop and produce a more efficient combustion.

Q. How long will Iridium Last?
A. Iridium use represents the most significant technological advance in automotive spark plug manufacturing, since platinum was introduced in the early eighties. As vehicle manufacturers produce increasingly complex and efficient automobiles, there is a greater need for long-life plugs that can tolerate leaner fuel mixtures and improved combustion processes. DENSO has responded to this need by developing its Iridium alloy, originally for OE applications. For example, many newer Lexus’ and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will “round-off” firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles.

2007 YFZ 450 Special Edition - Stock Engine, Cam Mod, GYTR K&N Filter & GYTR outerwear in Factory air box w/lid removed(some day an FCI), Jet Kit, Full HMF Performance Series Pipe (Gutted, just end cap and packing), AC Pro Peg Nerfs (getting repainted), Pro Taper 1 1/8" bars -

Last edited by MrSmartJohnson; 08-24-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

You'll see longer life out of an iridium plug. Also, you should experience better starting and potentially crisper throttle response. I've never heard of issues with fouling an iridium plug any more often than with a conventional copper electrode plug. If you're fouling plugs, you have jetting issues, IMHO...

If you do some searching online, you can find the same NGK plug online for a couple dollars cheaping including shipping. You may also want to consider a Denso IU24 iridium plug, as they have a finer electrode and a groove cut in the grounding terminal. It's a direct replacement for the CR8EIX. Will you notice a difference between the two, I highly doubt it? But Denso does reportedly make the best iridium spark plugs in the world, so why not buy the best for only a dollar more?

2002 TRX400EX - Houser/Elka LT suspension, Lonestar axle, HMF Ballance full system, K&N, MSD, PRM bumper and grab bar, Pro Armor chassis and swingarm skids, Trailtech bars/clamp, Hiper Tech 3s, Holeshot HDs, YFZ front calipers, YFZ parking brake conversion, 450R taillight conversion, IMS pegs and heel guards, CFM oil tank, Spal cooling fan
TORO1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, U made some good points! One of main reasons was thinking about the easier starting in the 8000' elevation. And if they last longer and hold up to heat better, they seem the logical choice to me, but i'm by No Means an expert and this is my 1st YFZ 450. I used to 2 stroke 250r's with 330 ESR kits, and I had a 720 Stroker DS650 Ron Woods Stage 3 quad also, totally different the the YFZ 450.

Also is the Denso IU24 iridium plug U mentioned for the 07 yfz I have or the 09 fuel injected yfz U have?

Last edited by MrSmartJohnson; 08-24-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use a CR8EIX, and I can for sure tell a difference in starting. As for crisper throttle, it still feels the same to me. lol
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmobile101 View Post
I use a CR8EIX, and I can for sure tell a difference in starting. As for crisper throttle, it still feels the same to me. lol
LOL, that is stock plug U are using! We were talking about even better starting and throttle response by going to the iridium Denso plug IU24 replacement for the CR8EIX
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

The YFZ and YFZ R/X use the same CR8E plug. As for lasting long and holding up to heat and such thats all a bunch of bs for an ATV imo. Lots of people say they feel a difference in throttle response and how it rides but thats probably all in their head. As for starting maybe it will be a bit better. Worst case you waste 10$ on a spark plug instead of 3$ so its not a big deal.

CR8EIX is not stock btw.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

CR8EIX is not stock btw.
yeah, I forgot the IX is a step up, but I meant not a iridium to compare to.

I am going to buy the Iridium and i'll report back on how much better it starts. I will be at the Cinders on the weekend of Sept 16, 17, 18 so will have to wait for confirmation it if starts better or not until then because I don't have starting issues at 1200' elevation around the Phoenix Valley area. At the cinders you can go up and down in elevation by a 1000' or more!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I also found a Denso Iridium fitment guide:
Find My Part: DENSO Iridium
Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

The same plugs fit both the YFZ and YFZR/X as Funyun mentioned...

I should clarify that the NGK CR8EIX is an iridium plug that a lot of people install to replace the stock CR8E plug. The Denso IU24 is directly comparable to the CR8EIX. Either should work better than the stock CR8E plug.

2002 TRX400EX - Houser/Elka LT suspension, Lonestar axle, HMF Ballance full system, K&N, MSD, PRM bumper and grab bar, Pro Armor chassis and swingarm skids, Trailtech bars/clamp, Hiper Tech 3s, Holeshot HDs, YFZ front calipers, YFZ parking brake conversion, 450R taillight conversion, IMS pegs and heel guards, CFM oil tank, Spal cooling fan
TORO1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes U are right ^^, I was told by someone (won't mention names) that is was a stock plug with hotter temp. Once I looked up fitment guides I saw it was NGK's iridium plug.

NGK's are good but Denso are better built and have better cores and better ratings on their iridium spark plugs so that is what I ordered!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Good info Mixxer
Old 08-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
That's your opinion and it's respected but I have seen from .5 - close to 2whp at dyno from changing plugs and playing with gap setting.
ericp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

got any charts, ive had good luck with the stock ones. changed it twice in 5 years. and didnt really need it. but i cant say as far as power gains to be had by switch.

and mixxer thats what my head looks like nice pic.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp72 View Post
That's your opinion and it's respected but I have seen from .5 - close to 2whp at dyno from changing plugs and playing with gap setting.
On your raptor or 450. 2whp from a plug change on this bike seems a little high unless the plug in there was really messed up
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

CR8EIX fits a Z400 also
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer View Post
sorry.... unless you have something seriously messed up with jetting, that simply is not going to happen....

a turbulent mixture of properly jetted gas and air doesn't care if you light it with a match ...or a torch.... its going to burn...

the biggest difference in plugs comes in the area of reliability... not power output
It's a fuel inyected yfz450R, tuned with the msd blaster.
ericp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

What plug/gap ended up 2whp over the stock one?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer View Post
if you get better power with wider gaps , then your a/fr is too lean...

proper A/F ratios are indifferent to plug gaps
X2 BTW your Sig is ridiculously large

06 yfz450 - slow
sukmypipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement