coolant overflow ignorance...help - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default coolant overflow ignorance...help

I have always ridden quads, but not always worked on my own ( i know, i know) so my stupid question (again) is dealing with the coolant overflow tank. my temp light does not come on(not sure if the previous owner has done something to the wires, but the neutral light and headlights work), but my coolant overflow tank is empty. I am thinking this is not normal, also is there a hose that suppose to attach to the overflow tank or no? If there is suppose to be coolant in the tank, come someone help me out and tell me the trouble shooting process for this type of thing? ive used the search function but still not clear on the subject......Its an 05 by the way
thanks guys
hankdoulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

also, the bike seems to run fine, minus some jetting issues but that being said.....ive only been able to ride it for 20 mins at the longest.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Filled my tank up during last ride, come home it's empty. Found a leak on the waterpump housing. If that's your problem too you'll see it dripping from underneath the waterpump cover. Search on here for waterpump problems. Good luck.
ckessler960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

The coolant overflow tank should have coolant in it. Look at it closely. There is a low and high mark on it. You should have coolant somewhere between them. There should be a hose connecting the overflow tank to a tube on the radiator which is just below the radiator cap. When the coolant heats up to the point it opens the pressure valve on the radiator cap it overflows through the tube to the overflow tank. It draws back when it cools down. If that hose is not there then the excess coolant from the radiator is being expelled onto the ground instead of being captured in the overflow tank.

Make sure the hose is there. IF you still loose coolant check the water pump like ckessler960 recommends.
hondo1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

ill be looking at it in less than an hour, thanks guys! ill come back with more questions im sure.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

ok so, my radiator fluid is full, should i top off the over flow and run the bike for a bit and see if any leaks via the waterpump seals??
Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdoulen View Post
ok so, my radiator fluid is full, should i top off the over flow and run the bike for a bit and see if any leaks via the waterpump seals??
ya fill it up to between the low and the high mark and then go for a ride, i would take a look at the hose between the rad and the overflow bottle first tho. also dont run strait antifreeze, you gota mix it with water.
07 yfz, ported head, cp 13-1 piaton, sparks pipe, fci, cam mod, r&d bowl and fuel screw, jd performance lt +2 a arms, elka stage 3 shocks, lonestar axle, streamline brake lines, rath monster peg nerfs, rath bumper, itp t-9's, custom lakers plastic, dfr graphics.
yfz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

i am having to fill my overflow tank up two-three times a day , granted im riding hard all day.....like yesterday for example

i hope there is a leak somewhere, and not a headgasket issue.....motor runs like a champ, never gives me any problems, the temp light has come on once or twice, nothing serious...

im using prestone 50/50.......i have flushed it out recently (two weeks ago, properly)

the pressure tester you can use on car/trucks, will that work? .....

i have a pwr radiator and cv4 hoses..havent noticed any leaks...going to get into to it pretty hard today and see if i can make any discoveries

it just goes through all the coolant in overflow ALOT......and i have no smells, oil on dipstick does not show evidence of being mixxed with coolant

any tell tell signs of some serious problems?
btoler4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

if its leaking out of the coolant overflow, youve got a head gasket issue.. this just happened to my brothers 05..
Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljered View Post
if its leaking out of the coolant overflow, youve got a head gasket issue.. this just happened to my brothers 05..

just noticed this..........

pic couldnt catch the bubbles as it was on idle...but was def leaking out, and i dont know how i just now noticed.....also noticed the lower hose (about 1'' worth would appear to be wet..etc) what i think has been coolant...im not quite sure what all this means, but from what i gather on here, it seems to need to have the waterpump rebuilt, or seals replaced etc...

hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, and does this rule out the possible headgasket issue?....i would like to think this will solve my problems (rebuild of water pump etc..)

thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
coolant overflow ignorance...help-yfzweephole.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

head gasket should be fine.. id just replace the pump and seals...

Last edited by jljered; 03-21-2011 at 02:06 PM.
jljered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
pic couldnt catch the bubbles as it was on idle...but was def leaking out, and i dont know how i just now noticed.....also noticed the lower hose (about 1'' worth would appear to be wet..etc) what i think has been coolant...im not quite sure what all this means, but from what i gather on here, it seems to need to have the waterpump rebuilt, or seals replaced etc...
mine does the same thing no need to worry, there is a "tell-tail" on the water pump shaft that will leak if the seal needs replacing, and it will drip out and onto that black oil line, thats ok, not a head gasket problem. However if you replace the seal and it still leaks from there good chance the pump shaft is scored and may need replaced or a quick buff with emery cloth. ( i have had faulty seals too that will cause it to still leak)

Mine problem is that the shaft is scored and I tried to buff it up with emery cloth no success, i left it and just top up my bottle every time i ride, but this year when i get the money ill replace the whole pump. hope this helps!
2007 YFZ450- SMC +2 A-Arms, ELKA triple rates long travel, Fox Podium X Rear Shock, HMF Competition full system shortened 4", Fasst Flexx Bars, Houser +2 Steering Stem, Durablue +4 Axle,Team Redbull Graphics,ASV Levers, Hinson Clutch, PEP steering stabilizer, Zip-tie mod, Powermaid handguards, AC nerfs, AC Front & Rear Bumper, Pro Armour Killswitch
kxracer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

i have a retarded issue with my overflow as well...i have an 06 yfz 450 and whenever i tip it up to transport it in my truck the overflow cap leaks...its not cracked and seems to be seated properly anyone else experiance this issue?
Pnuttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxracer12 View Post
mine does the same thing no need to worry, there is a "tell-tail" on the water pump shaft that will leak if the seal needs replacing, and it will drip out and onto that black oil line, thats ok, not a head gasket problem. However if you replace the seal and it still leaks from there good chance the pump shaft is scored and may need replaced or a quick buff with emery cloth. ( i have had faulty seals too that will cause it to still leak)

Mine problem is that the shaft is scored and I tried to buff it up with emery cloth no success, i left it and just top up my bottle every time i ride, but this year when i get the money ill replace the whole pump. hope this helps!
Sounds like you and i would go through as much beer as we would coolant if we rode together, hahaha!

I appreciate the info, it certainly helps, I have been dreading worse case scenario (headgasket,warped head etc...) past few weeks...going to rule that one out, and when i complete my rebuild, i should be golden
Old 09-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default anyone ever used a pour in head gasket sealer to try to fix a warped head.

or a blown headgasket?? my overflow keeps spilling fluid but it will be till tuesday when i can have it machined.anyone have any advice?
yfz102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default waterpump issue

Hey hows it goin..iv'e got an 07 450 that bored to a 490 buy the dealer bike is fully built...the black hose from the bottom of my waterpump is leaking coolant...i took it to the dealer..i thought it was the seals.so i replaced both of them..the bearing was bad too so i replaced that...shaft was scored so i got that replaced too...guess what it still leaks...does anyone have any answers for me..the only thing left is the impeller..everything else seems to be conected properly hoses from rad to overflow tank and vice versa...Anyone else have this same problem?

Thanks alot Steve jones
jones22inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement