YFZ Central banner

mx tire pressure

15K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Bluestreak14 
#1 ·
Hey so I race xc but do alot of practice mx. My buddy says hes running 10 psi up front and 7 in the rear. I have been running 5 front and 4 rear. whats everybody else running, and what are the benefits of running the higher pressure?

#2 · (Edited)
I usually run about 6-8 in the rear and 10-12 up front. Depends on what tires you have and what the terrain is like where youre riding/racing. When I ride xc style (don't race) I use a 20/21" front rear, and 18/20 on the track. Just the height alone can change how much carcass roll you get. Also 8 or 9" rim. Just need to test whats best.

#3 ·
I run 13 psi all the way around on my MX quads (I am fat at 215 lbs). You want to run enough to keep your tires firm and let the suspension do the work. This will vary by tire size and brand, as well as rim size. You need to just test and tune. Have a buddy with an iphone 6 shoot some good slow motion of you in the whoops and jumps and see what your suspension is really doing and then adjust accordingly.

#4 ·
ok cool. I never really put much thought into my tire pressure. I'm a heavy guy too. Just about 200lbs. I run 18/20 combo on mx Razr mx front and hoosier mx rear . and 20/21 combo when I do gncc's. I'll start out with my buddy's recommended 10/7 psi and see what its like. I'm a c class racer/rider so I'm interested to see how this will change my riding.

#5 ·
I won't claim to know anything about set-ups. I race 30+ Expert (A) and pay a guy to build my shocks. John Natalie rides and races the same tracks I do and helped with with a bottoming issue I had been fighting. He told me it wasn't my shocks, ride height, etc that was off rather it was my tire pressure. He convinced me to go from 10 to 13 (right before a moto). I was hesitant, but it worked and I have race it since. I went back and shot video where I filt it was having issues and could see why. Front tires in some cases, and a axle flex in others. Now for XC, I run anywhere from 5-10 psi depending on the track.

#6 ·
My buddy went to Dustin whimmers race school. That's were he got his numbers from. I'm gonna try the 7/10 this weekend at hurricane hills and play around with it. It handles like its on rails with the shorter Mx tires now, so I guess it can only get better with a stiffer side wall.

#7 ·
I'm going to try this too next time I ride, I don't race just mostly trail ride I run 5 in the rear and 4 up front. I have always thought 10 in the rear and especially up front would be way too much, like you would feel the bumps/ruts a lot harsher when going fast in the trails. I tried 8 in the rear once and felt like the quad was bouncing all over the place, maybe it was my stiff stock suspension. But at 5 in the rear it handles great. I'll try 8-10 all around and see if I like it better.

#10 ·
I recently switched to a 20 front 18 rear set up and love the way it handles but my gearing is off now,jumps I jumped in third I now feel like I need to be in fourth.i guess I'll get used to it but what can I do with wy sprockets to bring it back to stock?15 tooth front?

#11 ·
yeah, do one larger in the front, should get it close for you. Im running 15 39 gearing for mx. Tire pressure im running normally 10 front and 6 rear, but as everybody else said, it varies.

#12 ·
Quick update: I went out to Hurricane Hills for mx practice yesterday. I went 10 psi front and 7 psi rear. What a difference. It was a little faster into the corners which took some getting used to, but over all I could feel more of the suspension being used over the bumps and landings. Seemed to handle a little better as well. Also the rear was easier to slide around in tight 180* corners. Thanks for the help guys. My next GNCC I think I'm gonna try a 7/5 psi combe and see what thats like with the big tires.

#14 ·
I have never checked mine since I bought it...lol Never thought it matter that much....I was just happy nothing has went flat when I open the shed door...lol

#17 ·
I tried 12F 8R the other day after reading a thread about tire pressure - it was extremely harsh and ridged for my 260lbs. I went back to 7F 5R and it's much more comfortable. I'm riding stock tires and stock suspension…will get the 18/20 combo over the winter (and suspension work).

#18 ·
Suspension is key to running the correct tire pressure and vice versa.

Not only does higher tire pressure let your suspension do all of the work, but I have found that a ridged sidewall allows you to set a tire against a berm and really just blast through a corner.

My unfortunately closed favorite track had a wicked sand section with a 90" turn you could hold the gas pinned through the hole thing with the front tire pushed against the berm. I used to use that to carry a lot of speed and just out brake the person in front of me into the next turn, or if they went to the inside keep up the momentum around the outside. It was a tight S section with no jumps going in, but a nice set up 2 doubles on the exit of the last part.

#19 ·
Hey guys question.. I just got my 450r a month ago and would love to get into the mx style riding. I'm 5'11 and weight about 320lb(yes I'm overweight for now but losing weight) anyway...at my current weight..what tire pressure should I run? Everything is still stock,,, suspension,,, 4ply tires etc... so with these 4plys how much? And when I get a set of Razr 6ply(rear), Razr 2(front) how much pressure then at current weight??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.