YFZ Central banner

Race rims

6K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  MyGYTR 
#1 ·
Not new to the atv scene but new to the whole race thing. In your opinion what's the best race rim?

#4 ·
I currently race XC with Hipers and have no issues in the year that I have had them. However, I raced 5 seasons in (A and B classes) on stock Yamaha rims and never had an issue either. I bent 3 stock axles but never a rim. They are very strong and extremely light.

Adding bead lock Hipers and Maxxis Razr 6-plys will add 14 pounds over a stock set up.

#11 ·
If you can find them, the OMF beadlocks were the best. They had a reinforced inner ring and a scalloped beadlock ring. Very hard to bend or egg one of these. Looked cool & different from the competitors.
OMF Wheel - Immortal ATV

DWTs are very popular and used by most of the MXers out there. Simple and easy, no complaints. Have yet to bend one.

I had ITP grand prix front rims and seemed to egg those a few times overs.

#16 ·
A Champion in a Box set is just fine for MX. Eight inch single beadlock rears with 10" non beadlock fronts. EVERYONE is running the DWT champion in a box set. Site sponsors sell them for a good price, too.

#20 ·
Assuming you have stock hubs front and rear, you would want the:

10x5 4/156 DBL IB | 8x8 4/115 IR IB

That tells you you have double integral ring (standard no beadlock) front rim. The rear would be an integral ring on one side and integral beadlock on the other (typical single beadlock) rear rim.

KB is very responsive. You can always call his shop and order that way. I know the web is easier though.

#22 ·
Goldspeed for sure. Look at what the AMA Champion is using. They are as strong as anything out there they have a carbon ring option in colors and they have a muli bolt pattern so if you ever want to sell them to replace them with new you don't have to find a person with the same bolt pattern. Plus the price is better than everything else.

#26 ·
I currently have had hiper tech 3's since January dual beadlock rears and non beadlock front and have had no issues with leaking but a product is only as good as the people behind it and it sucks to hear when company's don't stand behind their products I've had dwt and Itp beadlocks in the past and have no complaints. I think most name brand wheels you shouldn't have an issue with its just what you can budget

#28 ·
14 lb's might not sound like a lot but because it is rotational mass it can make a difference. Take a 2 liter soda bottle, lay it down then try to push it while full vs empty and you can see how much it changes. Whenever you change the weight or size of your tires other areas may need to be beefed up or modified to account for this. Since the added weight could slow down the acceleration adjustments to the gearing could help if you end up with something noticeably heavier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.