YFZ Central banner

What length swingarm is everyone running?

10K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Blade12r 
#1 ·
I'm very curious about what length swingarms everyone is running in MX...im ready to go aftermarket on mine and have seen many different setups, +1 -1 stock etc. at the track. Would love to hear what you guys are running and why. As for me, I race mx c class on a built 06...suspension and motor are dialed in, so ready for the next addition.....

#2 ·
+1 will hinder you on the starts. it will put less power to the ground. -1 would put more power to the ground, but it will make your front end lighter. this is the way I would go to race mx. you'll just have to learn how to ride a lighter front end.

#4 ·
stock ive never ever seen a -1 for mx that's for TT bikes. Ive always ran stock and everyone that dosent runs a +1 because it keeps the front end down you just lose a little traction on starts but if you do it right you wont spin

#5 ·
I have seen people running both, but the +1 seems to be more popular....just trying to figure out what is going to work best. Have you ridden the +1? if so how is it vs stock?

#7 ·
Well, thats a good point...i am a novice at this point and definitely respect the advice of someone more experienced than me. There are plenty of other things i need for the bike, and gear also....so if this isn't something that really makes a difference i'll just skip it....

#9 ·
I've been around mx for 7 years now, and never seen anyone run a +1 to race. granted I've never been on the national circuit, but I did run d14 for not quite a whole season, but long enough to see some pretty trick setups. I do know however that in d14, some, not all, ride a -1. maybe there's something to learn here. I know you have been racing a while 45, so I believe you wouldn't want to steer anyone wrong, so I believe you. any way,I wonder what the pros run. I just thought common sense told me getting more traction would be better. I have never run anything but stock, so I couldn't tell you what would be better. I was just going off my experience at the track. guess I was wrong.

#10 ·
And here in lies the confusion....I have seen both setups, and could not really find any solid info on here about either....too bad they are higher dollar items, i would love to see a side by side comparison with stock, +1, and -1. Either way, thank you for the info guys...i guess i will stay with the stocker for now....and maybe have it sprayed when i break the bike down to paint the frame.

#12 · (Edited)
I've been racing since 2004, running full time Canadian nationals and Provincials. I've never run anything but the stock swingarm in any of my machines. Either way you go its a trade off. +1 will lengthen your wheelbase, making the bike corner slower, but -1 will make your front end lighter, taking traction away from your front tires. I don't see any need at all for an aftermarket swingarm unless there is a problem with the stock suspension geometry. Apparently the Walsh swingarm on the KTM works wonders for making it smoother but thats because the no-link setup makes it harsh.

I would stick with the stock swingarm and put the money into handling or upgrading other areas, some nice Razr Xm's on the back would do more for getting traction than a swingarm. Honestly, no offense but running C class you dont need to put that money into it.

#13 ·
Thanks for the input, already decided to put the money into freshening up the bike....new tie rod ends, replace all bearings, chain, sprockets, etc....and happened to get a great deal on a Hinson slipper....So, heeded everyones advice and stuck with the stocker.

#14 ·
ok, so been a while since this thread has been active....but its now relevant again to me. At practice Sunday I cracked my stock swinger...not just a little but a spiral crack at the way around the right at the shock hole. So now i need to make the decision of finding a good condition stock swinger of aftermarket....as this stocker is toast.

[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/blade12r/media/20140302_130012.jpg.html][/URL]

#15 ·
buy an aftermarket dude.. way stronger

and crackin stockers is not only because of the swinger also mayby wrong rear suspension problem...

#16 ·
I overshot a landing and also hit on the left rear side hard...pretty sure thats what killed it. Im in a time crunch unfortunately, first race of the season is in 3 weeks...already called a friend at LSR but they are backed up for 3-4weeks....so going to see the other options, but may have to just find another stocker to get me through the first couple races until I can get an aftermarket.

My rear setup felt pretty good, but obviously there is something not right....what should i look at first as far as settings to prevent this in the future? my sag is right on, compression feels good.....bottoms every once in a while, but only on a big flat landing....

#17 ·
Something to consider is that back in the 250r days and later on when the 400ex came out, these quads needed aftermarket swing arms to fix the shortcomings of the stock geometry. The yfz swingarms are tough. But anything can break at some point. I think the stock swingarms are stronger than the laegers, lsr, or whatever. The biggest drawback of the aftermarket swingarms is the weight. This is just a really good guess but I would say an aftermarket swingarms is in the neighborhood of 8 pounds heavier. That is huge. Even if I'm wrong, which I never am, even 6 pounds is a pretty big deal. I also have broken laeger swingarms and haven't broke my stocker yet.

#18 ·
At this point all the aftermarket manufacturers are backed up 4-6 weeks...called everyone, so I either have to find a used aftermarket or stocker in order to make the first race...so the search continues. Unfortunately the stockers I've found are all pretty beat, and there is one nice houser but they are asking a lot if $$$.... So I guess the search continues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.