YFZ Central banner

06-08 vs 09+ for mx?

07yfz or 09+yfzr for racing mx?

13K views 52 replies 39 participants last post by  Bluestreak14 
#1 ·
So ive really got the mx bug and am about to drop money into the bike for suspension etc. Would I be better off and sell my 07 and buy an 09+ model and mod it from there? Just dont want to drop 3,000 in suspension on the 07 and wished I did it on a newer model instead.

#2 ·
Depends. Do you want Carb or FI? And it depends what model 09+ you'd be after. Right now I would rebuild your 07. Its tough to sell any ATV right now without taking a loss on final price thanks to the current economy. Parts can always be bought through this website and others. A lot of ppl rebuild in the winter months so you will have more part options in the classifieds. If there are no problems with your 07 than you might as well rebuild it. 07's don't have problems as opposed to the earlier YFZ's

#7 ·
the 450R chassis is heavier yes but handles FAR better than the older YFZ's...the FI bike is super easy to work on and you wouldn't be dissapointed

I have ridden both and it comes down to comfort for me, I could ride my 450R all day long but throw me on a 450 and I would be exhausted in 10 minutes

#12 ·
Most of us that voted in the poll didnt comment because this has been discussed to death. For most people it is common knowledge the the YFZR is far superior to the YFZ for anything but drag racing.

#14 ·
YFZR is far superior to the YFZ for anything but drag racing.
I'm on a mission to debunk this lol

But so far, the carb'd is superior to drag racing and the R is for the mx track. Myself, I went with the X. Best of both worlds. I love it for drag racing, trail riding, and the small amount of mx type riding I've done.

#13 ·
Love my 2010 FI

#16 · (Edited)
I vote 09+ YFZR. I think the seat makes a huge difference. If you are leaning and whipping the bike around, you will definitely like the YFZR a lot better than a YFZ. I think the "T" shaped seat makes riding the R much more bearable (SP?) longer. I started on a Z400 and a friend had an 04 YFZ. My wider seat just feels soo much better, which in turn (and as stated above) allows you to ride for much longer without the fatigue.

You can buy a YFZR, change out the front shocks, buy the big three (intake, exhaust, & programmer) and do just fine at most races.

#18 ·
When I raced mx on my '04, it wore me down. The power delivery hit hard and the thumb throttle was brutal. I haven't raced the '09 R yet, but the power delivery is very smooth and controllable. I ride mostly dunes now and I would prefer the hit from the carb models in the sand. Any other type of riding or racing, the FI model hands down for me.

#20 ·
Pretty sure he's asking about modding his current 07 or selling and buying an 09-up R. Of course the 09 is better stock but it won't be better once his 07 is built. I'll put my 07 against my buddys 09 and mine will come out on top 9 out of 10 times. It's all how you set it up and how you ride it. Either are a good choice.

Me personally would not want fuel injection. I dont think the power delivery is very good on the fuelie bikes. Don't seem to pull as hard out of the corners. The plastics on the new ones are junk too IMO.

#24 ·
Sorry "Anybody" not trying to jack your thread or anything im just curious on the subject also as im looking to BUY a 07 since i can find them a lot cheaper then the R and with the money i would save mod it instead...

So basically what it all boils down to between a 2007 FULLY modded (LongTravel, built motor, tires,ect.) VS. a FULLY built R is their about the same the R is just a little more comfortable to ride and doesnt wear you down as fast...?

#27 ·
Depends . but for mx in my opinion the r is the best route period . suspensions expensive for the regular yfz. The factory r can be rode to a high race level as long as it has been adjusted well. And the wide stance is so impressive on the corners I love mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.