2005 yfz 450 mods - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2005 yfz 450 mods

Just bought a 2005 Yamaha YFZ 450 a few days ago. Only mods on it is a FMF Exhaust system. I would like to do some mods to make it faster but not sure what to do. I'm not trying to spend thousands and thousands but am willing to put a decent amount into it to make it fast. I used to have a 2004 yfz 450 a while ago and I was not impressed with the power. It seemed like it needed another gear. The top end power was pretty crappy. I'm going to buy a K&N cold air intake & air filter but that's as far as I've got. If this was your quad what would you do? If you could send me links for stuff to buy that would be appreciated too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 AM

Establish a budget.
You want engine and handling.
The bike can for sure be fast, just need the right combo.
What do you do with the bike? Where do you ride?
What do you want from the bike?
What's you previous experience ro compare to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:19 AM

Buy and FCI intake, TQSATV.com has the best prices on those. Its the best intake on the market. You will need to rejet, but the mods are endless. What's your budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MMAD, OCP, FCI, OI

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I ride at Glamis(Sand dunes), Pismo beach, Mountain trails, I used to ride tracks and would like to get back into that again. I used to have a banshee,( basically owned all 2 strokes) but they are top end only. Super heavy and hard to jump, ride tracks and mountain trails on. I like the top end of the banshee but the weight, bottom end and handling of the 450. As for as budget goes I would like to stay in the $2000 range for just the engine and $2000 for suspension. That's ball park pricing. My tax returns this year should be really good so could possibly go quiet a bit higher later on.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks IDJ, I will pick up one of those today from the website. The bike has a stock intake on there now. I have a glamis trip planned for Thanksgiving so am in a rush to get some work done. My brother has a 450 and he says he only has a LRD pipe and a cdi box on it but its super fast. I think he had some engine work done and just wont tell me cuz he hates to loose when we race..
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:31 PM

FCI, Dasa exhaust and do the cam mod. that's a great setup on the carb bikes, we saw a 6-7hp gain on ours over stock on the same dyno.

also what paddles do you run?
kilroy likes this.

2006 SE-DASA Classic Full System,FCI, Cam mod, OCP ported head and 42.5mm carb, Houser +2 stem, Flexx Bars 12* ATV Bend, Fox Floats.
53HP All OEM Engine parts on Pump Gas

Jetting Specs: 42p- 215m-4th clip NCVQ 2.0 out, 0-500'.

2006 SE yfz450 -Son's-He Thinks

2011 Raptor 250 - Wife's - She Thinks

"Sorry is for criminals and screw ups and I'm neither"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Could you give me some more information on the cam mod? The paddle tires I am running are the ITP sand stars.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:31 PM

Top end/bottom end power can be changed a lot just by changing sprocket ratios and/or tire size. Want more top end need a smaller rear sprocket or larger front sprocket. Opposite for more bottom end power. Always keep in mind that you'll lose some on bottom end if you need more top end and vice versa. Also the boysen quick shot is a good product. The quickshot 3 seems like a good one based on other people I've talked to though I've never used the 3 I have had the og quickshot. Worked very well with bogging. Same thing as the zip tie mod tho from which I've read and the zip tie mod is almost free. (You have to buy the zip tie right) lol. You can do a little with jetting as well. But if its a lot more power you want there's only one substitution for displacement and that's a turbo or supercharger or nitrous and have fun trying to get that figured out. ( not saying it can't be done. ..just very impractial unless you're dragracing it). So only thing that can really be done is a bigger bore or longer stroke or both. Anyway I sure wish I could have a budget lije that. I'd have one of the meanest bikes around. Head work and porting will be an improvement also but that would have to be done by a pro unless you want to have fun with a dremel and hope for the best! Haha. Anyway best of luck have fun and be safe! Ps always wear a helmet! Nobody wants to pick up your brain with a shovel and a bucket.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:36 PM

Adjusting The Valves.. this is a good write up on the cam mod. Very easy and best part FREE. cause frees better than real cheap
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Or do you know any good mechanics in southern California that could do the cam mod timing?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaEverything93 View Post
Top end/bottom end power can be changed a lot just by changing sprocket ratios and/or tire size. Want more top end need a smaller rear sprocket or larger front sprocket. Opposite for more bottom end power. Always keep in mind that you'll lose some on bottom end if you need more top end and vice versa. Also the boysen quick shot is a good product. The quickshot 3 seems like a good one based on other people I've talked to though I've never used the 3 I have had the og quickshot. Worked very well with bogging. Same thing as the zip tie mod tho from which I've read and the zip tie mod is almost free. (You have to buy the zip tie right) lol. You can do a little with jetting as well. But if its a lot more power you want there's only one substitution for displacement and that's a turbo or supercharger or nitrous and have fun trying to get that figured out. ( not saying it can't be done. ..just very impractial unless you're dragracing it). So only thing that can really be done is a bigger bore or longer stroke or both. Anyway I sure wish I could have a budget lije that. I'd have one of the meanest bikes around. Head work and porting will be an improvement also but that would have to be done by a pro unless you want to have fun with a dremel and hope for the best! Haha. Anyway best of luck have fun and be safe! Ps always wear a helmet! Nobody wants to pick up your brain with a shovel and a bucket.

Boyesen Quickshot 3 Accelerator Pump Cover | MotoSport

will that will bolt onto the stock carb?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tech Quad Shop @ TQSATV.COM

could any of these be a alternative to the mod cam timing?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staxpoker View Post
Boyesen Quickshot 3 Accelerator Pump Cover | MotoSport

will that will bolt onto the stock carb?
Yes it is a direct replacement for the stock carb. As far as the msd ignition I'm not sure if that will work with your bike. I believe they are meant for fuel injected bikes. Not carbs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, update on parts I bought today. Quick shot 3, FCI, Dasa Exhaust, my buddy has a shop and will be doing the mod cam timing. Should I get a CDI box? If so what company makes the best one, and what's the best jet kit for my setup? Will be changing the front sprocket to 1 tooth bigger. Any other quick add ons I can do before engine work(need quad ready before thanksgiving)?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Since you're in So cal you should just have your bike dynoed at FCI or MMAD. You have a pretty good budget, you'll definitely want to get the head ported, bore the carb and a better intake cam. Again, talk with FCI & MMAD.

The quickshot 3 is fairly unnecessary if your bike is jetted properly and tuned on a dyno.
kilroy likes this.

09 YFZ450R: MMAD built
05 TRX450R soon to be OCP built

Last edited by diypunx; 11-02-2016 at 08:02 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you diypunx
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:58 AM

There a lot of things I would spend my money on before I bought an aftermarket CDI. If my engine were bone stock here's the order of upgrades I would do.

Cam Mod
Exhaust--pick your favorite
Fuel Customs Intake (FCI)
Bore the carb
Head porting--MMAD is never a bad choice

Unlike some quads, the stock cams are pretty good. It's not one of the first things you change out like on some machines. Also, on a relatively mild build, the only real benefit (if you want to call it that) of an aftermarket CDI is the increased rev limiter. But depending on your setup, there may or may not be any power being made beyond the stock rev limiter anyway.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just went to Octollio this weekend to try out the quad for the first time. I didn't get any of my parts in the mail before I left, ran the bike completely stock except the fmf exhaust with the power bomb header that came with the bike. The bike ran fine until I gave it full throttle in 2nd,3rd,4th.. is that because of the stock air filter and stock jetting?
I did order a new Dasa exhaust, & FCI and a jet kit, will that fix the issues?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are some before and after pictures of the quad I just got. Only about 10 hours total on the bike. Before I picked it up I had them add on some pro taper bars and some rock t-9 pro nerf bars.

megtinoc's Story | Photobucket
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
dyno results top line is after I added the FCI, rejetted and tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno 450.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	79738  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page